best cheap beater fixed blade?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
casey1

best cheap beater fixed blade?

Post by casey1 »

3-4 inch blade, comfortable handle, full tang

discuss
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd have to say something form ESEE. Cheap really depends on what you want in terms of steel. Their blades are 1095 and generally on the thick side, so you can beat the **** out of them without fear of breaking it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

How about an Izula or esse 3
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

becker-
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I don't remember the blade length but I had a "Cold Steel SRK" several years ago that I abused to include using it to pop steel bands from ammo cans and throwing into trees oh digging with it as well. Held up really well for the $60 I paid for it. If I recall it right I sold it for $50 after all that abuse to a guy in my platoon before I left active duty. That was the carbon 5 bladed version though. Apparently the newer versions have aus 8 blades.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Becker makes some pretty nice knives. If you want the best warranty in the market, go with Esee.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I got an SKS-mountable Yugo-originated design Cold War-era combat knife with a steel sheath and integrated wire cutter for 7 bucks at Smoky Mountain Knife Works. Hard to beat that. And they had a pile of 'em.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
JD Spydo

Buck & KaBar were good in their days

Post by JD Spydo »

For a "beater of a fixed blade" I have to go back to when my older Buck model 119 was my main fixed blade for all my hunting trips and other outdoor cutting jobs. And I'm here to tell you I wouldn't mind having another Buck model 119 with a newer, better blade steel.

That Buck model 119 along with a Bucklite folder were both knives I had gotten back in the late 80s and I used the **** out of both of them.

Now even as much as I liked the Buck 119 I still don't think it is as good of a blade as the newer Spyderco fixed blades are. I've actually put my Spyderco Temp 1 through much more punishment than I ever did my Buck 119 and the VG-10 blade steel holds an edge much better than the Buck blade ever did.

I also had good memories of all my Ka-Bar blades I owned over the years.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

They make many other models. Look around under Svord. 15L20 Swedish steel ( like L6, very tough stuff!)

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SVODP/ ... her-Sheath

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Mastiff wrote:They make many other models. Look around under Svord. 15L20 Swedish steel ( like L6, very tough stuff!)

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SVODP/ ... her-Sheath

Joe
They look good for the price, but things like this irritate me
The Baker "Convex" edge is a "razor" factory edge, providing superb "out of box" performance
Oh...it's a RAZOR edge, so i guess that means....what exactly? I hate when a company tries to word things in such a way that they church it up and make it into something that it's not. Is it a convex edge or is it a razor edge? Both are very different considering razors are not ground as convex edges.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I hear great things about Condor Knife and Tool. Made in equator with simple carbon and stainless steels. No personal experience.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Mora. Nothing is even close in respect to the knife/money ratio.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I consider the Buck 119 one of the longtime values in fixed blades in the knife world. Probably one of the best-selling models of the past 25+ yeas as well.

You can't go wrong with a Mora, but the bayonet I refer to is freakin' stout, and cheap. I believe it is the AKM type 1 as shown on this page http://worldbayonets.com/Misc__Pages/ak ... onets.html
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I would be buying a Becker, Ontario or Kabar. ESEE products look good, for a little more money.

For a beater knife I would be looking for carbon steel instead of stainless, in the event that I had to do things with it that would break or chip stainless steel.

You can find cheaper knives if you search the online sellers, I think you will compromise edge-holding by doing this.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I thought everyone would be suggesting the Wharning.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I have an Ontario RTAK that would fill the bill nicely.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Ontario ASEK?

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.