MT15P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring CTS B75P

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

MT15P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring CTS B75P

Post by TazKristi »

MT15P will be available for sale on Friday, 14-Sep at 0900 MDT

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://www.spyderco.com.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2 (This is a limited run of less than 400 pieces.)

Cost: $ 74.95 each

Domestic Shipping: Standard Shipping rates apply.

International Shipping:
International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $35
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $50

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About CTS B75P:
CTS B75P is a powdered steel produced by Carpenter Steel of Reading, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Carpenter’s CTS B75P is comparable in elemental composition to BG42 blade steel but is produced using a powdered steel manufacturing process rather cast steel construction. Powdered steel manufacturing renders the ingredients and carbides making up the steel’s structure, more consistent in grain size to each other and homogenize the steel. For the knife user this translates into a high-performance knife steel with exceptional wear and corrosion resistance and long term edge retention. CTS B75P’s hard vanadium carbides further augment its wear resistance and edge retention making it the new knife steel that production knife companies and custom knifemakers are excited to use.

Carbon (C) - 1.10 Chromium (Cr) - 14.50 Cobalt (Co) - --
Niobium (Nb) - -- Copper (Cu) - -- Manganese (Mn) - 0.50
Molybdenum (Mo) - 4.00 Nickel (Ni) - -- Nitrogen (N) - --
Phosphorus (P) - -- Silicon (Si) - 0.30 Sulphur (S) - --
Tungsten (W) - -- Vanadium (V) - 1.20

What is the Mule Team:

For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are typically limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Finally got it. That's interesting.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Nice! Now...to convince the wife...
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Glad it's here. Love surprises. Thought it was 204P
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Can anyone say what other steels this compares to? Like where is it compared to Spydercos other production steels, like vg10, s30v etc?

Oh wait, maybe it doesn't matter. Does Spyderco ship any kinds of knives to NYS anymore?
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Slvr01Stang

Post by Slvr01Stang »

Drkknight614 wrote:Can anyone say what other steels this compares to? Like where is it compared to Spydercos other production steels, like vg10, s30v etc?

Oh wait, maybe it doesn't matter. Does Spyderco ship any kinds of knives to NYS anymore?
I don't think they ship folding knives but fixed blades they do. I ordered the elmax mule and didnt have a problem. I'm from Long Island, New York
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The original post state that it is the Carpenter version of BG-42.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
farns

Post by farns »

jtoler_9 wrote:Glad it's here. Love surprises. Thought it was 204P
I was wondering the same thing. But I did notice it said MT15P so maybe there will still be a MT14P with 204P. I am newer so maybe someone with better knowledge might know if we should expect a MT14P later as well or the MT14P will be skipped.
phaust

Post by phaust »

farns wrote:I was wondering the same thing. But I did notice it said MT15P so maybe there will still be a MT14P with 204P. I am newer so maybe someone with better knowledge might know if we should expect a MT14P later as well or the MT14P will be skipped.
I don't think one has been skipped before, could be wrong, but Sal already stated in another thread it's only because their first batch had a problem, so it's delayed: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... us-of-204P
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Oh, boy! I'm excited to get a new Mule on the bench!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Very tempted...though the shipping is killer.
On the hunt for...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm really looking forward to this new steel. I have been saving my pennies.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm really looking forward to this new steel. I have been saving my pennies.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

phaust wrote:I don't think one has been skipped before, could be wrong, but Sal already stated in another thread it's only because their first batch had a problem, so it's delayed: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... us-of-204P
Not the first time they skipped. IIRC, MT10 came out before 7, 8 and 9.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Should be worth the wait. An improvement on one of my favorites. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

Drkknight614 wrote:Can anyone say what other steels this compares to? Like where is it compared to Spydercos other production steels, like vg10, s30v etc?

They do ship mules and fixed blades to NY, though MT11 was a little while ago.
Hmm, what sprints can we look forward to with this Manix 2, Military?
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Hmm, what sprints can we look forward to with this Manix 2, Military?
I'll take any they make that isn't in the above $200 range. It's not that I'm saying what it's worth or not worth , just that it's a very difficult year for me with the end of it being the worse. I must sell knives to buy knives, no exception to the rules. BG42 has always been one of my favorites and I'm expecting great performance from this so I'm going to do what I have to selling wise to get this steel that I've waited on since it was announced.

Man, a P2 would be about perfect in this one. A stainless, high speed powder process stainless bearing steel ( BG42 is the stainless version of M50http://www.latrobesteel.com/assets/docu ... ts/M50.pdf, a high speed, high wear bearing steel). BG42 http://www.latrobesteel.com/assets/docu ... %BDx11.pdfIt's a mouthful to say but you can shorten it to "high performance matter separating tool". Or, conversely, one can state" I gotta have one!!".

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
sal

Post by sal »

We don't know where the future of this steel will go. It was an experimental steel originally developed by Carpenter's metallurgists. We'd like all of the fedback we can get from users.

Thought I'd throw in a few "Plugs". While some of the Mule Team owners produce beautiful handles, some cannot or choose not to make their own handles. Scales for Mules are being commercially produced by Haplern Titanium in a variety of materials and styles. Nicely made.

Kydex/Boltaron sheaths are being commerically produced by SheathPro (sheathpro@aol.com). Chris also has all of Halpern's handles so she can make sheaths for those without your having to send your knives to her. SheathPro makes all of Spyderco's Boltaron sheaths.

I received, as a gift, an exceptional leather sheath made by a "Western European" that I use often for any of my mule teams. I don't know if he can/will prouce more of them, so I'll let him commment if he cares to.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Looking at the alloy content it should compare well to BG-42 so depending on HT and the tempering process it should really show well in use. :)

Hopefully we will see a folder in this steel if things go well.