Delica 4 flick open ease

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Roundabout136

Delica 4 flick open ease

Post by Roundabout136 »

Recently got a black handled FFG Delica 4. Love it's light weight design. My paramilitary 2 now feels like a tank after carrying the Delica for a few weeks.

Compared to the PM2, flicking it open with my thumb is not difficult, but not as easy as it should be in my opinion. I really have to flick it open hard.

I believe it's the stiff spring constantly putting tension on the blade tang even when the lock bar is depressed.

I have loosened the pivot but to get it opening easily and smoothly with my thumb, blade play occurs.

And yes, I have cleaned the blade out and properly lubricated it. Compressed air works wonders.

Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l38OC6SzFr0

Literally impossible with my delica. Easy on the PM2, I'd end up slicing up my finger if I tried it too many times with the delica.
DLC PM2, FFG Delica, Wave, ESEE 4, Izula
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The physics of the mid-lock (IMO) prevents the flick effect that you get with the PM2. They do break in with time, but the lighter weight of the FFG hinders your rotating mass. This means the saber grind should (in theory) be easier to flick.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Splice

Post by Splice »

The pm2 also has a bushing system for ease of opening, and all that's contacting the blade is the ball part of the compression lock.
tap78

Post by tap78 »

It is just physics :) When You try to flick open FFG blade You have much less mass of the blade to throw out than in saber grind version which opens very quickly :)
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Its mostly a mass thing, my ffg delica needs some more effort and wrist flick to open, where as my friends saber grind delica 4 I gave him does not need such effort because of its extra blade mass over the ffg version.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

It's mass, but also friction. The FRN models have a little more drag. I have to wrist snap when I open my Delicas. You get used to it.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Try not to flick open knives, but the back lock will always be harder. When I get the pivot set up on my Delica's it pretty much makes flicking a non-option.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Aside from looking/sounding cool, what's the upside of flicking open a knife? Doesn't it pretty dramatically increase your probability of accidentally tossing the knife?
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
APS

Post by APS »

dj moonbat wrote:Aside from looking/sounding cool, what's the upside of flicking open a knife? Doesn't it pretty dramatically increase your probability of accidentally tossing the knife?
I don't believe there is any benefit other than what you listed. I think that alot of the new knife afis get their hook into knives by watching youtube videos or get introduced via a friend who got hooked by watching youtube videos. I'm not surprised that so many think flicking is the only way, and the correct way, to open a knife.
vtvman

Post by vtvman »

I flick my delica open with my middle finger. It's a lot easier compared to a thumb once you get a hang of it.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Quick deployment via thumbnail flick = lady magnet. :)
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Blerv wrote:Quick deployment via thumbnail flick = lady magnet. :)
You should see what happens when I flick them the reverse ringer. :D

Ooooo lawdy, they can't stay away.
Roundabout136

Post by Roundabout136 »

dj moonbat wrote:Aside from looking/sounding cool, what's the upside of flicking open a knife? Doesn't it pretty dramatically increase your probability of accidentally tossing the knife?
When I'm actually using the blade I open it normally.

When I'm sitting watching TV or bored, I flick that bad boy constantly.
DLC PM2, FFG Delica, Wave, ESEE 4, Izula
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I actually flick my blades (most of them) open because of the musical enjoyment they provide me upon lock engagement. That part brings me great joy and I love comparing the sound of the Militarys Walker Liner Lock to the Manix 2s CBBL. I think the flick is a second step to fast deployment that falls slightly short of the emerson wave openers speed.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

1. Buy a Tuff
2. Flick your Tuff open constantly for a few weeks.
3. Your fingers will now be so strong that you risk launching normal knives into the ceiling or wall when you flick them open. :D
iyn

Post by iyn »

I've owned delicas since the mid 1990's. I could never get a constant flick until I switched my clip to tip down carry. My middle finger I indexes on the curve of the clip and lines up my thumb in line with the hole. My ring and pinky grip the knife securely and all the thumb energy goes into the blade of the knife. I have short fingers and small hands and now a can flick my delica, endura and stretch consistently. I also practice with my endura trainer to keep the muscle memory. The downside to this is my spydies have to have the clip with a tip down option.