Spyder Model That Can Endure The Most Punishment? Your Pick?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Spyderco Native 5.

Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Ill wager my Lionspy is every bit as tuff as my tuff, and that any knife like this is much tougher than any of us will ever need
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

TUFF!!!! and GB a close second
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

DCDesigns wrote:Ill wager my Lionspy is every bit as tuff as my tuff, and that any knife like this is much tougher than any of us will ever need
agreed!
JD Spydo

The NATIVE model>> More Proof

Post by JD Spydo »

DedRok wrote:Spyderco Native 5.
That just doesn't surprise me at all. Just like my old 440V Native it takes a licking and keeps on ticking>> I guess I stole that one didn't I :D ????

There is something about the extremely stout design of all the Native models that makes it as sturdy as a tank :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

[quote="DedRok"]Spyderco Native 5.

DedRok, I'm very interested in the Native 5. It looks fantastice, but how does it carry? Is it comfortable in the pocket? Etc., etc., etc.? It seems a little heavy--- if 3.6 oz. or so can be called heavy-- for such a small knife. Thanks for anything you can share.

tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Eee

Post by Eee »

JD Spydo wrote:It kind of surprises me that I've heard very little of Spyderco's fixed blades being able to take extremely brutal punishment. I've seen the Streetbeat model endure some abolutely hellish abuse and come out smelling like a rose.

Not to mention the years of accumulative abuse that I've dealt out to my FB05 Temperance 1 model. For a knife as old as this one is it sure has endured the test of time. I can only imagine how much torture the Temp 2 could endure.

So tell me which fixed blade Spyder you've seen take horrendous abuse and come out of it in fine shape.
The Forager was one of the few Spydies I've moved on. I'm still not sure it was the right move. It's undoubtedly very tough and capable, but feels either too big or too small; I'm just not sure which. I suspect the Forester and the Dayhiker are the pick of the bunch. It is the one knife I have sent for professional sharpening, the original edge was quite obtuse and clearly aimed at toughness over cutting. Mine actually used to bounce off wood when chopping. The sharpening removed a lot of material from behind the edge and tranformed it. I can confirm that N690co takes a fantastic and durable polished convex edge.

I traded it for something I'd feel better about using, I think the Forager was almost too beautiful. Ironically I think it is visually the best proportioned of the four Hossoms, even if it didn't quite work for me. As I sit here typing, I want it back :(
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Tough depends on what you are doing with the knife :) For close in I would prefer the Balance, Medium range maybe the Swick, Bradley or a Mule would do well, for chopping wood and such maybe the Rock Salt :) Every knife has it's niche :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
JD Spydo

Handle materials seem to be a common factor

Post by JD Spydo »

One thing I'm finding extremely interesting about this thread is that all of the knives that folks are listing as what they deem to be a durable, tough, punishment resistant knife all fall into 3 categories of handle materials.

They are either G-10, FRN or Micarta. It's funny and really surprises me that hardly no one mentioned any of the stainless handled Spyders in the "tough" list. Nor did you hear about titanium, Almite or any of the other handle materials that Spyderco has used over the years.

I do think that handle materials do indeed play a very important part that determines which models are indeed resistant to rigorous punishment. Something to think about anyway.
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

Warrior!
Member of the LH Military Club

My Spydies - Military Lefty, Endura 4 PE, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Chaparal, Bolstered Manbug, Nishijin Cricket Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:One thing I'm finding extremely interesting about this thread is that all of the knives that folks are listing as what they deem to be a durable, tough, punishment resistant knife all fall into 3 categories of handle materials.

They are either G-10, FRN or Micarta. It's funny and really surprises me that hardly no one mentioned any of the stainless handled Spyders in the "tough" list. Nor did you hear about titanium, Almite or any of the other handle materials that Spyderco has used over the years.

I do think that handle materials do indeed play a very important part that determines which models are indeed resistant to rigorous punishment. Something to think about anyway.
My opinion is that most people simply list favorites...and those handle materials are the typical offerings that most people buy and own. I think if every person who said another knife besides the original Chinook compared their suggested knife to the Chinook in person, they'd immediately know they chose the wrong knife. Maybe the Lionspy or Tuff could go toe to toe with that knife (as well as the original Manix) but in reality those are probably the two toughest folders Spyderco ever sold. Handle material does play a role in the overall rigidity of the knife..I wouldn't know how much but the less they flex when the knife is twisted or pried with, the better. It would be interesting to see a Chinook in stainless scales.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Eee

Post by Eee »

JD Spydo wrote:One thing I'm finding extremely interesting about this thread is that all of the knives that folks are listing as what they deem to be a durable, tough, punishment resistant knife all fall into 3 categories of handle materials.

I've only got a Police in stainless handle so I don't have a huge experience of them. I don't know if it's the slimness of the grip or the grind, but the Millie just feels more useable. I'm sure the Police is plenty strong though.
Just remembered, I've got a Catbryd, which feels rock solid. It's just a bit harsh on the hands.

The ATR always struck me as a tough knife.
JD Spydo

Not well know but built like bomb shelters.

Post by JD Spydo »

Eee wrote:I've only got a Police in stainless handle so I don't have a huge experience of them. I don't know if it's the slimness of the grip or the grind, but the Millie just feels more useable. I'm sure the Police is plenty strong though.
Just remembered, I've got a Catbryd, which feels rock solid. It's just a bit harsh on the hands.

The ATR always struck me as a tough knife.
I had 2 user Titanium ATR models at one time>> another great model I wish I hadn't traded :( But I'm here to tell you that the Titanium ATR either in full SE or full PE were both awesome folders. Like you said probably some of the strongest most ridgid folders Spyderco ever produced. Even as rock solid as they were the ATR still wasn't as solid or ridgid as the stainless handled Rescue model was. That truly was a model that just flat got by everyone without them noticing it.

But again the Ti ATR was truly a brute of a knife. However even when it was in production it was probably the most difficult Spyderco model to obtain I ever encounted. It took me literally a year before I was able to get both the models I had. No dealer seemed to be able to get them. I finally nailed both of mine on Ebay.

Also the stainless Rescue was so good I just can't believe that it was passed over the way it was. That knife was truly built like a New York skyscraper :eek: Yes Sir the Ti ATR and the Stainless handled Rescue are both probably the least know but yet best constructed Spyderco folders ever.
Melektau

Post by Melektau »

The only folder I have that I would consider abusing is the ss harpy it just feels like a solid chunk of steel and has the smoothest action of any knife ive seen even though its a lockback its like silk dont know if their all this good but mine seem unusualy well made even for spydercos well known quality sorry im rambling a bit but this things pure sweetness sharpened
JD Spydo

The HARPY: A True Workhorse of a folder

Post by JD Spydo »

Melektau wrote:The only folder I have that I would consider abusing is the ss harpy it just feels like a solid chunk of steel and has the smoothest action of any knife ive seen even though its a lockback its like silk dont know if their all this good but mine seem unusualy well made even for spydercos well known quality sorry im rambling a bit but this things pure sweetness sharpened
I can 100% agree with you on that one :cool: The HARPY is truly one bulldog of a folder. I especially like the older Harpy with the G-10 handle and very much wish it would return to the line up.

I've had 3 of the Tasman models and several of the Merlin models which both of them are FRN versions of the Harpy IMO> But there is truly something special about the Harpy model. It's really my favorite Spyderco Hawkbill at this time. I love my Spyderhawks and they do have much bigger blades but the Harpy just like you said is truly a ridgid workhorse.
Bob2swpa

Post by Bob2swpa »

Manix2 of my Spyderco's.
Spyderfly, Endura4 w Wave, C10PS Endura, Manix2, Centofante 3, Ocelot, Blue Domino, Yojimbo, Earthtone Paramilitary2,Vallotton sub hilt so far : :spyder:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'd bet that an off-the-rack FRN Delica could withstand almost anything you could throw at it - short of a nuclear detonation. I'm just sayin'...

TedP
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

phillipsted wrote:I'd bet that an off-the-rack FRN Delica could withstand almost anything you could throw at it - short of a nuclear detonation. I'm just sayin'...

TedP
Well Brother I would be the last person on this Forum to disagree with you concerning the Delica or Endura models either one. There is a reason that they have become flagship models that have withstood the test of time. FRN handles are truly overlooked and under-rated>> I've put a couple of my FRN handled Spyders through some punishment that many well made knives with solid handles that couldn't endure what my 440V Native endured while working at that automotive mod shop. And there is something very special about the FRN handled models from Golden Colorado USA Earth. They are ridgid beyond belief.

Another FRN handled Spyder I have which has taken horrible abuse is my ZDP-189 Caly Jr. And I've heard similar stories about the FRN handled RESCUE models as well.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Lil'Temp in 440V.Old school.
villageidiot

Post by villageidiot »

A all metal Endura plain edge is a hammer, a pry bar when closed, a gentle impact tool and a one tough knife.