Need Help! Chokwe or Leafstorm?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Balicarver

Need Help! Chokwe or Leafstorm?

Post by Balicarver »

Sorry to bother you all, but I have to make a decision. I want a high-end spydie with a Ti framelock. I have a sage 2 arriving tomorrow and am contemplating whether to get the larger chokwe or smaller leafstorm to go with it. I definitely want a unique knife that is uber smooth and fun to play with. They are in the same price range and are completely different, apart from the materials used. It will be the last knife I get for a while and my picking are otherwise thin. Any opinions on which to get, Pro's and Con's and any experience you have had using it. I will not be able to handle any of them since I am ordering online.
Thanks
Josh
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

While I like the looks of the Chokwe, I would carry and use the leafstorm more.

If you are wanting a larger Ti framelock, I would consider waiting for the Southard Flipper.

The Techno is also an option for a smaller knife.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

No experience with the Leafstorm, but the Chokwe is my smoothest knife to date from Spyderco. You will not believe how efficiently it deploys. The blade is very thin so you will have to take the necessary care with what and how you cut. The handle, while not conventional works in a great number of different grips and is quite comfortable.

The Chokwe is also one of the most original looking spydies out there (even though it is based on a traditional fixed blade) anyone who has ever seen mine has commented on its looks. That is an added bonus as it cuts so well.

The knife has very little belly but the Sage 2 should cover you off for those types of cutting needs. The sage 2 is a great choice and is my most used sage from the series.

Have you thought about the Ti Military. As a general use EDC you probably can't beat it and the fluted looks great (in pictures). I am just trying to make your dicision more difficult.
Balicarver

Post by Balicarver »

I would get the techno but it isn't available and I can't wait for the Southard Flipper.
Balicarver

Post by Balicarver »

I would love a Ti Millie but is over the size limit where I live (10cm or 3.9 inches) plus it is too expensive and unavailable. I live in South Africa you see and can only buy what is available.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I recommend you use the Sage 2 first for a while. See how you like framelocks. I can also recommend contacting some of your local makers for a price. Some that come to mind is Burger knives, Gareth Bull etc.

Why not visit our annual knife makers show at the end of the month 31 August and 1 September 2012. More can be found on our Guild website http://www.kgsa.co.za.

If you are located else where, there is a Durban show and Cape Town show. The Durban show has passed but the Cape Town show is later this year.

Have you received a Manix or Para yet? I remember you were asking about those as well.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Balicarver

Post by Balicarver »

It is great to see a fellow South African on the forum. I have opted to get the sage 2 over the Para 2 and Manix 2. I am ordering off http://www.have2have.co.za/ and the prices are great because there isn't a huge mark-up price like there is at most South African shops. I actually live in the Western Cape and will definitely try to go the the Cape Town Show. My knife addiction is strong and I am really wanting a knife to pair with my Sage 2. It will be my last knife for a while and really want it to be worth it.
THanks
Josh
Balicarver

Post by Balicarver »

May I also ask where you get your knives? I have struggled to find much and especially ones with decent prices!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Balicarver wrote:I definitely want a unique knife that is uber smooth and fun to play with.
That sounds like a perfect description of the Chokwe to me.
:bug-red-white
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Will send you a personal message but my main source is our local SA forum.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Another vote for the Chokwe. Sage 2 has you covered for small blade size, and the Chokwe will cover you for long blade size. Plus, it is unique and inspired by a traditional fixed blade from Central Africa.
aidansdaddy17

Post by aidansdaddy17 »

Instead of the leafstorm.....better knife in that size is the Techno. It really is amazing. Closest to a CRK to date!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

The 'other side of the coin'...I dont have a Chokwe, but do have a Leafstorm. I love it. Its got some great design elements - ti frame lock, natural/trnaslucent G10 scale, contoured handle, etc. It is a really cool knife to look at and play with - mine is very smooth. For me, the small size is more useful since I can carry it more often in my office environment. One cautionary note: some folks dont like how the end of the blade near the handle can nick you if not careful while push cutting (I use 3 finger grip behind the first handle hump for push cuts and dont have an issue with this - fair balance). Some have commented on Leafstorm vs. Techno - but thats another story (several Techno vs. Leafstorm threads if you need to make that decision). But I would say you cannot go wrong with Leafstorm.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Without question I would go with the Chokwe. It's supper smooth and comfortable. One of my favorite Spyderco knives.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I have had both. I sold the Leafstorm. Both are kick *** but the Chokwe is my favorite Spyderco design ever. For an EDC...It's perfection.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I love my Chokwe, it is very smooth and impeccably finished. it is unique and although it looks like it was designed with a ruler, the ergos are great.

I would think the question here would be size. The chockwe is not small the Leafstorm is ... too small for me but that's me and we don't have blade length regulations were I live so that part of it doesn't come into the decision making process for me. Both beautiful knives though.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The Chokwe is pretty great. Thin blade, comfortable in hand and very smooth. The Leafstorm...it was just really uncomfortable in my hand. As much as I want to not like it for a few reasons...the Techno is far better than the Leafstorm and I would take it over probably both, but over the Chokwe by just a fraction.
On the hunt for...
Balicarver

Post by Balicarver »

Thanks All! I have decided to get the Chokwe!
JD Spydo

Chokwe &

Post by JD Spydo »

Well "Ballcarver" I don't know what your blade length laws are where you live but that would depend heavily on my recommendation to you. Here in Missouri where I live I can carry a folder with a blade 4inches long or under. I know a lot of states here in the USA and several countries and provinces have stricter laws governing knives.

On an ideal basis I would go with the Chokwe all the way. I tend to have a lot of cutting chores that work better with a more streamlined blade geometry. Right at this time I'm taking a serious look at the Chokwe and the Des Horn both. It will probably take me a month to decide which one I'll go for first. But I may end up getting both of them because again I like a more streamlined style of blade.

Currently I'm carrying a C-60, G-10 handled Ayoob Sprint model. And that blade is virtually perfect for all my daily cutting chores. You might even want to take a glance at that one while you're in the market for the ideal blade. Keep us posted and let us know which way you decided.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Balicarver wrote:Thanks All! I have decided to get the Chokwe!
Excellent choice. The Chokwe is an amazing cutting tool.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.