Spyderco Gayle Bradley Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Uke

Spyderco Gayle Bradley Review

Post by Uke »

Hello all,

Well I've been hearing nothing but good things about the Spyderco Gayle Bradley for quite a while now, but never really fancied it myself. After picking up the Manix M4 sprint I started to warm to the idea of the Bradley a bit more as I found CPM-M4 to be such a lovely steel. That fact coupled with me wanting to try out CF scales for the first time eventually twisted my arm. Thankfully my wallet didn't get twisted along with my arm as it was my birthday recently...I dropped a few Bradley hints and the girlfriend did the rest :D

So I hope no one minds me going over an already well known knife, but hopefully this will be useful to someone. Well here we go then...

Here are the stats from Spyderco:

length overall: 8.078 " (205 mm)
blade length: 3.438 " (87 mm)
length closed: 4.687 " (119 mm)
cutting edge: 3.188 " (81 mm)
weight: 5.5 oz. (155 g)
blade steel: CPM M4
blade thickness: 18/ " (3 mm)
handle material: Carbon Fiber

Now when purchasing knives looks aren't the be all and end all for me, and I was never blown away by the Bradley's appearance in photographs, but in the flesh I have to say that my first reaction when this came out of the box was simply 'beautiful'. I've never gone for CF scales before as they reminded me to much of black G10 (which I'm not a fan of) but boy have I been silly to let that put me of CF. The scales are a joy to behold as they twinkle in the sunlight and they also provide more grip than I'd expected whilst still being very delicate on the hand...

It's quite a hefty beast at 5.5oz, even heavier than a fully lined Manix 2. I didn't think anything could feel tougher than my Manix, but somehow the Gayle Bradley manages it whilst misleading you with its gentlemanly looks! Honestly this thing feels fantastic in the hand and the steel liners sitting proud of the CF scales just works on so many levels...I'd love to see this more often. This touch doesn't have an impact on grip comfort at all, yet lends so much to the aesthetic of the knife.

And just look at that pocket clip :)

I love the way the Spydie logo has been applied to the black clip...looks very classy indeed. As with all the Spydie hour glass clips this isn't the ultimate clip for deep DEEP pocket carry (like the tremendous Spyderco wire clip), but I have to say I think it looks a lot more attractive than the wire clip (just listen to me going on about looks again :lol:...if the Gayle Bradley has done one thing to me its made me appearance obsessed!). Here is how it stacks up for discreet carry against two other well known Spydie locking folders of similar size, and a wire clip UKPK for contrast as well...

From left to right - Para 2, Gayle Bradley, Manix 2, UKPK Ti:

There were a few negatives I found right out the box as well, the first of them being the size of the lanyard hole...

...its pretty small and 550 paracord is a bit of a squeeze. I'd rather have the wider lanyard holes of the Para 2 and the Manix 2 as seen above. Its still very functional, I'd just prefer a bit more room. The forward choil was also something that I puzzled over a bit. Its already very shallow so a bit of jimping would have been nice. I know that this may be very subjective and if I want a great big forward choil I can just use a Manix 2, but for me a touch of jimping here would have been an improvement, as the jimping on the thumb ramp is just right.

Jimped thumb ramp, smooth choil:

Whilst on the subject of ergos, here is the Bradley alongside two similar sized and well known Spydie lockers...

Top to bottom - Manix 2, Gayle Bradley, Paramilitary 2:

Now the size difference here surprised me; both open and closed the Para and Manix appear at first glance to be larger than the Bradley, yet the Bradley has a larger cutting edge than either, in fact considerably more than the Manix. More on the blade later though. As far as the handles go the Bradley is the least 'choiley' of all three, so it depends on your preference. I'm a choil kind of guy myself and would like the Bradley's to be just a bit deeper (or more guarded at the cutting edge) for peace of mind, but then you can't have everything can you! Its not given me any problems (or cuts!) so far. I have to say it does also have its benefits, as my hand can sit anywhere and the shape of the handle doesn't dictate my grip position. It's certainly a very comfortable handle to hold. In the event of a lock failure though if gripped in the 'secondary choil area' (below pic, bottom left) you'd be getting your fingers nipped. What appeals to me about the Manix 2 and Para 2 is no matter which choil/handle recess you grip the knife in, if the lock fails the choil-portion of the blade is what will be making contact with your delicate fleshy pincers and not the cutting edge!

Last edited by Uke on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uke

Post by Uke »

Yet, as long as you aren't abusing this to ludicrous extremes I can't see failure being likely. This seems to be a superb example of how to do a liner lock...

...this thing won't budge. Not a jot of blade play in any direction and the tension is so strong my thumb is sore from closing this knife! From what I have read the lock bar on the Bradley settles down in time and becomes easier to close. This jimping could be responsible for my red thumb...

...this jimping is very functional though and as with many things it just seems to be down to technique. Rather than press your thumb down between the liners to get purchase on the lock bar, it's much better to just rub your thumb across it, let the jimping do its job and catch your thumb to pull the bar over without you having to apply lots of downward, skin ripping pressure to the lock itself!

Fit and finish is fantastic. I found this to be the case with my Taiwan made Sage 3 and this particular piece of Taichung craftsmanship is no different. Blade centering, lock up, scales, liners, blade grind...all top-notch. The Spydie hole was very sharp, up to the point of being painful to open with, but a few delicate rubs with a medium sharpening rod and the edges are now nice and smooth.

The blade markings are flawless, but they are that bizarre 'grippy' Taichung etching that is rough to the touch and annoyingly gathers up fibres every time I clean the blade with a cloth.
Last edited by Uke on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uke

Post by Uke »

And what are the markings on? Well a whole lot of lovely CPM-M4, thats what:

Here is the blade compared again with a Manix 2 (top) and a Para 2 (bottom):

Here you can really see the difference in cutting edge length (a full 8mm longer than the Manix 2!). The Bradley is hollow ground and has a very nicely done 'weight saving' swedge. I have found this blade shape very useful, if just for the extra cutting edge length and nothing else. I usually prefer FFG so I suppose more use and time will tell if this can regularly dislodge my beloved Manix 2 FFG leaf blade from my pocket. As far as steel performance goes I'm guessing I can expect the same from the Bradley as my Manix M4 sprint...takes a hair popping edge and keeps it for a pretty long time! I've popped some tuff-glide on the pivot to stop pitting but I'll just be using mineral oil on the blade so I can still do food prep, and I won't force one but I'll welcome a patina if it does happen. I've not had the strength of will to hard-use my Bradley yet (I'm still babying it as my recent birthday present!) but its been in my pocket non-stop and I've given it a bit of a gentle stretch...

Out and about:

Showing a sprig of rosemary who's boss:

Gliding effortlessly through steak:

I've also hacked up many a cardboard box over the last few days, lots more food prep and general use (slicing up paracord for my man-knitting etc. ;) ), and as expected after all that the M4 is still paper-slicing sharp:

So there you have it. I've been thoroughly impressed by the Gayle Bradley and would highly recommend it (I'll definately be chasing the Gayle Bradley 'Air' now when it becomes available!). If this knife does one thing, it screams 'quality' and I think the way the liners and handle scales have been put together plays a big part in this. It is a great EDC folder, fit for most tasks and is very rugged indeed. It certainly gives the tank-like Manix 2 a run for its money (in fact with the exception of not wanting to scuff that lovely CF the Bradley's handle actually feels tougher!), although as a dedicated 'working knife' I think I prefer the additional safety of the Manix 2's deeper choils. This may just be me being soft, but I wouldn't want to push the Bradley as far as my Manix, and not because I don't thing the Bradley could handle it! No, not for one second...I just don't think my fingers could handle the Bradley! :lol:

I've certainly found my new favourite Spydie for a while (this could be 'new-knife & CF-virgin syndrome' though).

Thanks for putting up with another lengthy review. I hope someone finds it useful :)

Cheers for now,

Uke.
Last edited by Uke on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Very well done, brother! GB is one of my all time favorites! And great pics.

Are you going to let yours patina? Or keep it shiney?

And I know what you mean about the clip. It's really great but I prefer the deeper carry of the wire:

Ken
玉鋼
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

wow, what a great review. this makes me want the GB even more!!

thanks for the time you put into this, very useful!
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
setldown

Post by setldown »

Great review and excellent photos!
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
JimP

Post by JimP »

Great review! I enjoyed all the photo's and comments on the small details of the knife even though I have had a Bradley in my possesion for quite a while now..... :confused: thanks for your efforts.
Donut

Post by Donut »

That is very well put together and comprehensive, thanks for sharing.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

Excellent review of a knife I hadn't really paid attention to. Full marks for your photos too, outstanding.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

This not only makes me want a Gayle Bradley, but it also reminds me that I have to get a Manix and a Para... :rolleyes:
Great pics!
SDR

Post by SDR »

Bravo! Well done, mate!

I have been sitting on the fence considering the G. Bradley for a spell, now. I think that your most excellent review may well be the extra nudge I've needed to pull the trigger on one? In any event, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments and viewing the great pics and comparison shots.

Kudos!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digicam DLC Paramilitary 2 ~ S30V * Titanium Military ~ S30V * Digicam DLC Military ~ S30V * Brown Paramilitary 2 CPM-S35VN * Orange Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-XHP * Green Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-204P * Black Native ~ CPM-S30V *Sharpmaker w/Diamond Rods & Ultra-Fine Stones
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

A bit of all right1
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Nice review. I love the GB, while there are some things that I would love to tweak a little bit, I think that it probably my most satisfying Spyderco in terms of looks and functionality.
On the hunt for...
Uke

Post by Uke »

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you enjoyed the review.
kbuzbee wrote:...Are you going to let yours patina? Or keep it shiney?...
I don't want to force a patina so I'm just going to use it and if a patina happens then great. I've found M4 pretty resistant so far though. The Manix 2 M4 sprint you see in my photos is actually one of my main users but even with many months of use there are still no signs of patina. I wipe it down after each use (but just on my leg or a kitchen towel etc. nothing special) and give it a clean and wipe down with mineral oil about once a month. The only place I've put tuff-glide is on the pivot. Its strange as I've seen lots of nice natural patinas here on both the Bradley and the M4 Manix. Maybe I'm babying them a bit too much? :)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I tried to force a patina on an untreated M4 Military (orange juice, potato juice etc), but no luck! So now I just leave it and see what happens.

My GB has a little bit of natural patina, even though I used tuff-glide on it.

Nice review, btw... :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Great pictures and awesome review, glad I've already got one lol. Mine seems to patina really easy even with tuf cloth on a regular basis, it actually patina'd when cutting up a steak the other day.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

Hey Uke, you did the Gayle Bradley justice with this fantastic review and excellent photographs. I as well as many others continue to praise how special this high value knife is.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Excellent thread. I love it when great photos are combined with personal reviews. It just makes reading through a post very rewarding. Thank you for sharing.

I have been considering the GB on and off. Since I cannot handle it before buying, I am reluctant to order one. Perhaps one day.

It would be interesting to know if M4 has any similar outward characteristics to that of Super Blue. For example the strong odor of Super Blue. I know that these steels are not stainless and that a patina can be formed. Just thinking out loud after a boring day.

To all reading, have a great day!
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Very nice review on one of my favorite knives. One thing that I like that you don't is that there is no jimping on the finger choil. I think no jimping looks sleaker. The fact that most Spyderco knives have the ramp because of the hole already doubles as a safety feature. Jimping there is very nice IMO but jimping on the finger choil seems of little use. I believe this because I have never had a sore finger because the jumping was to aggressive but I have had a sore thumb from several knives. I think I have even ground down the thumb jimping on most of my knives. I don't remember if I did it on my GB or not. Since I never had a sore finger that indicates to me that the spot doesn't get very much forward pressure like the thumb exerts on hard cuts.

I like jimping to a certain extent but I never had an accident of sliding my hand forward on "regular" pocket knives in my life. I was pushing so hard into sheetrock once that the blade (non-locking) on the knife folded and cut my index finger to the bone. But my hand has never slid onto the blade. Not even having that thought as I use a knife shows that I don't do much stabbing. When stabbing or pressing into something with the tip lends more to the blade folding on slip joint knives than my hand sliding. I know I'm a whimp but I am now fairly scared of non-locking folding knives. I've gotten so used to a lock that I sometimes accidentally close a slip joint when cleaning a knife.

I'm rambling (again). Great review and I think you said you didn't pay much attention to the GB at first. I didn't either but wanted one in the back of my mind for months. I was offered a trade out of the blue and accepted and have been happy since. It really is a great knife. GREAT gents folder if you don't mind the size. Also, a GREAT work knife if you don't mind getting it dirty or scratched a little. I've thought so often about putting G-10 scales on mine so I wouldn't mind using it as a hard work knife. Till now it hasn't been asked to do the work I know it can handle. I also have the Sage4 that I use as an EDC work knife. I can't keep the ti bolsters from scratching so why not work with it? It's VERY solid also. Truely another GREAT knife and the other of my two favorite knives.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Thanks for the review Uke :) Very enjoyable with great pictures :D It helps that I share many of the same sentiments about the Bradley :o Enjoy and use :) The HG CPM M4 does take a very, very scary sharp edge :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]