Caly 3.5 G10 vs CF

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

Caly 3.5 G10 vs CF

Post by casey1 »

Just wondering what those of you who have both of these knives think about the difference between the two. Does the loss of grip make the VG10 more appealing, or do the ergonomics of the knife eliminate that problem? Which do you prefer to carry and why? I have searched for a thread like this and did not find one, so I created one.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have a Caly 3 G-10 and had a Caly 3 CF, which are basically the same knives in hand and closed.

The amount of curves on the handle make it handle good enough with or without smooth scales. If I still had them both, I could carry either about the same, but I would want to keep the CF version for more dressed up occasions.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Personally, I think the ergonomics of the Caly series make texture unnecessary, but I'm looking at them primarily as tools. But, even when combined with my preference for scale materials that are more attractive than peel-ply G-10, my preference for VG-10 over ZDP-189 laminated with 420J2 makes me lean toward the G-10/VG-10 version.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

Why do you prefer VG-10 over ZDP laminate. Just curious. I am debating the merits of each with myself as I am looking to get a 3.5. I have a caly jr ZDP and its amazingly sharp but a PIA to sharpen. My vg10 caly 3 takes a keen edge and is easy to maintain but I am really fond of carbon fiber - its something different then the sea of g10 that is the rest of my spydie collection. Maybe I just need both :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Not Paul..... but ZDP can take a finer edge (I like a thin edge) where as VG10 is easier to sharpen. Kind of a trade off.

I also have the 3 in both and the CF scales on the ZDP are very nice. It would be my choice of the two.

Ken
玉鋼
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The Deacon wrote:Personally, I think the ergonomics of the Caly series make texture unnecessary, but I'm looking at them primarily as tools. But, even when combined with my preference for scale materials that are more attractive than peel-ply G-10, my preference for VG-10 over ZDP-189 laminated with 420J2 makes me lean toward the G-10/VG-10 version.

The ZDP-189 Caly 3 is laminated but the 3.5 is 100% 189. The CF 189 3.5 is my favorite as I like the looks of the handle material better as well as the blade steel.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Sequimite wrote:The ZDP-189 Caly 3 is laminated but the 3.5 is 100% 189. The CF 189 3.5 is my favorite as I like the looks of the handle material better as well as the blade steel.
Hhhhmmm I was thinking the CF 3.5 is laminated...thanks.
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

The CF 3.5 is laminated.
fliktrik

Post by fliktrik »

The first Caly I purchased was a Caly 3 CF/ZDP. I decided I also wanted the larger Caly 3.5 and just bought it in VG-10. I like them both a lot. After owning the CF/ZDP for awhile I decided that for my purposes it didn't really make sense to pay the premium for the CF/ZDP. So the 2nd one was VG-10. But that's me. With either version you'll be getting a great knife. The Caly's are my favorite model...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Cave Dave wrote:The CF 3.5 is laminated.
Thanks. Love the Caly 3.5, love ZDP but laminated blades just don't call to me.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

When I first received my Caly 3 CF I was a bit disappointed in the polished CF, but I have grown to love it. It's smooth, but when your hands are damp the grip actually gets better, not slippery-er (that a word?). I tend to carry my CF Caly 3 and 3.5 in-waistband, and for *me* it actually works better with the smooth CF - when i carry my G10 Caly 3.5 IWB the rough G10 tends to pull my shirt un-tucked and make it pucker. I love the deep-carry clip on them, so no one at work even knows I have the knife there.

The handles are so comfortable, with the choil and shape, that the smooth CF isn't a problem, and to me it looks classy. Now I will say that I do love the twill CF used on the Stretch and Sage even more, it gives the CF some texture, but I still like the polished CF as well and think it looks classy. I have several knives with the polished Nishijin glass fiber as well.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I do not have CF ZDP189 Caly3.5, but own CF Caly3, which is pretty close. My choice VG10/G10 blades. I really do not like uneven laminated lines, not a big fan of polished CF either
I EDCed VG10 Caly3 for 4-5 years and switched to Caly3.5, when they came out. Great knives, I never found them to be insufficient.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
tahomazz

Post by tahomazz »

for an inexperienced sharpener, how much more difficult is it to sharpen zdp189. I was close to buying one but the steel intimidated me...
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

tahomazz wrote:for an inexperienced sharpener, how much more difficult is it to sharpen zdp189. I was close to buying one but the steel intimidated me...
Don't let ZDP-189 intimidate you, you just need to touch it up every once in awhile *before* it gets extremely dull. It's hard to go wrong with the Sharpmaker if you have that, and adding the diamond rods for it makes it pretty straightforward to sharpen even duller knives. The key is patience, and being sure to hold the knife consistently, and using light steady pressure.

If you do get the Sharpmaker, be sure to watch the video that comes with it, Sal demonstrates how to use it. (The video *might* also be available on YouTube?? I don't have access to YouTube from work.)
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
jacobwilson99

Post by jacobwilson99 »

rodloos wrote:Don't let ZDP-189 intimidate you, you just need to touch it up every once in awhile *before* it gets extremely dull. It's hard to go wrong with the Sharpmaker if you have that, and adding the diamond rods for it makes it pretty straightforward to sharpen even duller knives. The key is patience, and being sure to hold the knife consistently, and using light steady pressure.

If you do get the Sharpmaker, be sure to watch the video that comes with it, Sal demonstrates how to use it. (The video *might* also be available on YouTube?? I don't have access to YouTube from work.)
What rodloos said! Don't let ZDP intimidate you. I have both the Caly 3 CF and 3.5 CF and my buddy has the 3.5 G-10.

I would take the CF over the G-10 any day. His G-10 wears faster and looks shiny, even after cleaning it with soap and water. The 3.5 CF feels better in the hand, IMO. And you can't go wrong with ZDP-189.

My first sharpening experience with ZDP was on an Endura. I got super frustrated because it took a long time. Yet, with patience, I got it to a mirror edge. It still has that edge and is super sharp. VG-10 is a great steel, but I'd take ZDP in the 3.5 over VG-10. Offers a more quality knife, one to be proud of, IMO.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have to agree..i really don't care for the laminated blade. If the 3.5 came out in a solid ZDP blade, i'd have bought one by now. I can't stand 420J2, it scratches WAY too easily.

That said, I agree with Paul, the Caly series has such awesome ergonomics that even in stainless steel the grip is pretty secure. Also consider that at some point, after enough EDC, G10 loses a lot of that grippy texture and is going to get a lot smoother over time, while CF stays what it is pretty much forever. At some point the playing field will be even between the two. Take the Vallotton for example, or even a Street Beat or any knife with smooth scales or polished G10..they still have a great secure grip with the slick polished handle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

Just got a Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189 a few hours ago.

I definitely vote for the 3.5 size.

I almost wish I had ordered a G-10 VG-10. I would be much quicker to carry and use it. The CF ZDP-189 is a really good looking knife, and I know the very shiny 420J2 layer will scratch up if I use it. I may just continue carrying my Delica and Endura.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
computernut

Post by computernut »

I've had my G10 Caly3 for awhile and just picked up a CF Caly3, if they had a 3.5 I probably would have picked up one of those. I really liked the G10/VG10 version but didn't like how it ripped up my pants. I was hesitant about the smooth CF but the second I held it I said "I'll take it". For EDC the CF is perfect for me, the G10 would probably be for more of a utility/work role for me.