Any more info on larger Native models (3.5, Chief)?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:The Shaman is a RIL. The Chief is still far enough away that we've not made firm decisions on materials or grind.
sal
Sal,
thank you for info?
Can you, please say if they will be made in Golden and what is scales material for Shaman?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

sal wrote:The Shaman is a RIL. The Chief is still far enough away that we've not made firm decisions on materials or grind.

sal
Thanks for that little bit of info Sal. A RIL Native...interesting. Guessing no left handed version...ha ha. (And yes I will keep bringing it up until there is a lefty frame lock in a knife that I like)

And that is good...gives me hope that we will see a swedge on the Chief! As for materials...nothing bright colored, and some M4 would be nice to see on a larger knife.
On the hunt for...
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

Both sound great, main reason I don't get a native is the size. Can't wait to see the shaman!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote: The 3.5" Native "Shaman" is quite a bit different from the regular Native. The 4" "Chief" is more like th regular Native, but longer.
sal
MCM wrote:3.95" for me please...
+1
I can carry only under 4" as well

I always loved my C83 Persian and Calys, but when I started to carry Native5 I realized that I have best fit to my hand like Persian and FFG blade like Calys. Today Native5 is my most used knife. 3" blade is good, but sometime (especially during a break, when I cut my apple) I am wishing that blade would be a little longer, which brought me to realization that Shaman could be my "perfect" EDC. I hope that it is not too different to compare to Native5, otherwise I will need to wait for Native Chief. I need it now (N5 with longer blade), but would agree (forced to agree) to wait a little.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

The shaman sounds very interesting and can't wait for some photos to emerge.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I love my native and sage 2.

If they were combined into and one and made a bit larger it may be the perfect knife I've been waiting for.

Il be waiting on shaman info.

please please sneak us some pics please.
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
Rotten

Re: Any more info on larger Native models (3.5, Chief)?

Post by Rotten »

Forgive my ignorance but what is RIL. I realy like the handle design on the current Shaman pictures shown in the pre-purchase pics on some of the knife sellers pages but what I would really like to see is a fluted CF version. Any idea if that will happen? I'm not buying both and I will hold out if I have to.

My big fear is they will fall back on the old G10 square edges which provides a good grip but is rather boring. I like the champhered edges much better even at the sacrifice of some traction. I would rather buy the current shown version than a G10 square edge but not sure if I should hold out for a fluted model. I have never had a problem with the ZT 0392 series slipping and they don't have the texturing of a genuine Hinderer and honestly feel much better in the hand.

I definitely don't want it in FRN. I know it's light weight. I know it's near indestructible. I know it provides amazing grip. I know it is by far the ugliest knife handle design I have ever seen. The last part is purely personal taste of course and I hope you all realize I speak only for myself and it's just personal taste. I do have a Matriarch 2 but the handle always makes me regret not buying the civilian instead.

As far as blade steel I do like M390 and Elmax but really I couldn't care less. I'll buy one either way no matter which steal is used.

But enough of my whining about what I do and don't like. Any facts on the release date and handle styles yet? Sorry if this has been answered already but I can't read all 25 pages of this thread.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Rotten wrote:Forgive my ignorance but what is RIL.

Reeve Intregral Lock (aka framelock). The Shaman will have a compression lock and not RIL as previously indicated.
Rotten wrote:Any facts on the release date and handle styles yet?
It looks like it's being released now. The handle style pictured in the mid-year catalog is the only one I've heard any mention of.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69061&start=100
Rotten wrote:Sorry if this has been answered already but I can't read all 25 pages of this thread.
Unless I'm missing something, I only see 2 pages in this thread
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

That's because I posted in the wrong **** thread. I meant this for the Shaman thread. Sorry all.