Spyderco Knock-offs, "Replicas"and Fakes

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

jackknifeh wrote:Still seeing repeated words at the end of a line, then at the beginning of the next line. I'm living with it, just thought I'd mention it. I don't think anyone else has mentioned it so maybe I'm the only one. If I preview the post or when I do click submit it looks fine.

Jack
Jack,
I think you meant for this to go in the thread about the forum upgrade. I am looking into it, but it's going to take some time. I haven't been able to duplicate what your reporting. I promise I haven't forgotten what you've posted, but as I mentioned this is all going to take some time.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

TazKristi wrote:Jack,
I think you meant for this to go in the thread about the forum upgrade. I am looking into it, but it's going to take some time. I haven't been able to duplicate what your reporting. I promise I haven't forgotten what you've posted, but as I mentioned this is all going to take some time.
I did mean to post it in the forum upgrade thread. Sorry. I am typing now and I'm going to keep typing until I repeat the symptom.

I typed a lot and the symptom didn't repeat itself. Funny thing, I'm on my wife's computer right now. That makes me think the problem I had isn't related to your forum. Especially if you haven't heard anyone else mention it. So, save yourself some time and forget it. I'll try to isolate the problem to my PC. It only happens on the forum but the Spyderco forum is the only one I spend time on. I'll get on another one and if the same thing happens I'll know it isn't a Spyderco issue. So, if you don't hear any more about it, pretend I never mentioned it.

Thanks,
Jack
gabestheman2

Is this a Fake?

Post by gabestheman2 »

araneae wrote:Not a fake, and the hole is accessible from the right hand side. When in doubt, check the spyderco.com catalog first.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ge-Handles

This one has a Hole but I bought two just like it today for about $30 each. I am still trying to figure out if it is a fake or not. By the way the colors are black and yellow.
Thanks
rycen

Post by rycen »

If they are marked spyderco and look like these your good to go.Also depending when they were made they mighr not have a steel marking.

We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Nice pieces Rycen.

sal
rycen

Post by rycen »

Thanks and thank you for thinking that everyone may not want the typical knife or scale color.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
nakahoshi

Post by nakahoshi »

Found this one on Ebay - (LINK)

I think I have seen this one before

-Bobby
zippy2001

Post by zippy2001 »

This looks an awful lot like the poliwog

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5-Mini-SR-Bla ... 359wt_1037
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

nakahoshi wrote:Found this one on Ebay - (LINK)

I think I have seen this one before

-Bobby
The same seller had one counterfeit Spy Fox and a fake Spyderco thum bstud knife, bot reported to eBay.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
sweetleaf

Post by sweetleaf »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-Blue-F ... 872wt_1037

Hey guys, just want to make sure that this Delica 4 I bought isn't a fake or whatever. First time hearing about fake Spydercos actually haha. I'm 99.9% it isn't fake, I just want to make sure the seller isn't selling fakes (doubt it since the feedback). If anyone could get back to me on experiences or have read experiences with this seller, I'd appreciate it!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Thats legit ;)
Dave I

Post by Dave I »

I am NOT a SPYDERCO only COLLECTOR/USER. I have seen what I call the BIG THREE knife companies all try the made in CHINA route. One gave up on it, another continues to make them there and they are JUNK and the last is PROUDLY still making some of them there although they found a Chinese company that can make a quality knife. The cost to manufacture them in China is peanuts but I don't see the prices getting any lower here in the USA. Quite the opposite they are going up!
I do not feel sorry at all for these companies as they brought it on themselves by going to China in the first place and giving them the technology and training. You might ask why> CORPORATE GREED!!
Now this is my opinion after working for fourty years at one of the biggest power generation companies in the world and watching them do the same thing only to have it come back and bite them in the rear. Now they too are bringing the work back here. I do feel sorry for the people unknowingly buying a knock off as the real thing and the quality is just getting better and better. I do not think it is right but put some of the blame where it belongs. Look around it's not only knives. Check out just about any Brand name product and see where it is made. You have to look real hard to find a product made in the USA!
A couple of weeks ago my very old USA made toaster died. I ended up buying a brand name toaster made in CHINA because as hard as I tried I could not find one made in the USA! Sorry I got off track a little but I'm just trying to make a point.

One last thing. Every time something that is wrong with a knock off is posted shortly after, it is corrected in CHINA. I don't have the answer as to how to warn people to spot a knock off without the makers seeing it. Does anyone have any ideas??
THIS IS THIS !
rycen

Post by rycen »

Dave I wrote:
One last thing. Every time something that is wrong with a knock off is posted shortly after, it is corrected in CHINA. I don't have the answer as to how to warn people to spot a knock off without the makers seeing it. Does anyone have any ideas??
Fortunately for us this does not happen often. The best way to avoid fakes is to be an educated consumer or when in doubt come here and ask.

sal
Dave I

Post by Dave I »

I personally think this happens more than we know about or they wouldn't continue to make them, someone is buying them. You are correct about being an educated consumer but when you say come here and ask you are right back giving them fuel for the fire because every little detail will be pointed out not only in words but many times in pictures also. How about calling the company customer service? They should be more than happy to help. Let me run something else by you. How about an unofficial policy to answer these questions in a PM where only the person that needs the information sees it?? It's not that much to ask and will help cure the problem in the long run.
Thanks for jumping in. So far you are the only one that suggested something yet many people just keep on complaining and don't even try to find a solution. When the hobby needs some serious help where is everyone?
THIS IS THIS !
rycen

Post by rycen »

You may be overthinking the situation. I'll only speak for knockoffs of Spyderco knives. For company to start making a knockoff I'd assume they have to start with the authentic item. Then go from there making their own copy whether they leave certain details off intentionally or not if they're capable of making a good enough fake to confuse people there certainly capable of getting every detail right. Take the three most problematic closet fakes that I know of are the gunting,etched spin and the UKPK. All have very minor details that are hard to spot for someone who doesn't know what they're looking for that are dead giveaways that they are fake.

sal
Dave I

Post by Dave I »

Yes I may be overthinking the situation. It appears that they make a copy that is just good enough to fool some people and then when the flaws are brought out they continue to correct them. Let me ask you where do you think they get this information from? They correct issues only when people make it public. Then they continue to sell them until the next issue comes up and on and on it goes.
Have the minor details you speak of been brought up on any forum? I have to ask again where are the rest of the knife enthusiasts with any ideas?
THIS IS THIS !
rycen

Post by rycen »

As far as the knockoffs of Spyderco they do not seem to be correcting the "flaws ". Knockoff companies don't want to put enough effort into making 100% correct knife they just don't care. If they did they would be making their own legit products.

sal
Dave I

Post by Dave I »

Like I said I'm not a strictly SPYDERCO user/collector. However I have been following the knockoffs of a quite pricey knife that everyone knows or has at least heard of and believe me they are putting in the effort but they supposedly can't sell them because they are patented. Trust me they do have the capability to exactly duplicate this knife.
THIS IS THIS !
rycen

Post by rycen »

That's exactly my point. If they wanted to get it 100% correct the first time the second time whenever they could do it. I'll guess that you're talking about CRK? China doesn't respect our patent or IP laws.

sal
Dave I

Post by Dave I »

I think we both understand and respect each other or we may have been arguing by now. That is the last thing I want as we are obviously both knife enthusiast. So far you are the only one that really seems to care about the problem. You are correct I was referring to CRK'S and that is my point> how long before they do the same thing with other brands when sales drop off because the issues are brought to everyones attention? You are correct CHINA has never respected any patent laws! Notice I did say supposedly can't sell.
I have enjoyed which seems to be our discussion but I really wish some others would chime in.
THIS IS THIS !