Do You Wash Your Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tikkidaddy
Location: marietta sc...but im not sure if its on earth though!!

Post by tikkidaddy »

GSO wrote:I often carry a Salt knife when anticipating a messy situation. It gives me much less hesitation to fully rinse down the knife afterwards.
I wash my pacific salt every couple of days in warm soapy water, towel dry, Ballistol, no problem, Never had a difficulty w/ ANY KNIFE Ive kept clean and lubed proper.
Wash the Ballistol off BEFORE you cut up chicken etc, wash the knife, sharpen if needed, relube....simple
"I hate the thought of killing anything, its the last thing I would advise, but as a matter of survival, all creatures are fair game."-- Les Stroud.

I wonder if spyders feel that way too??--mark.
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

I wash mine with hot soapy water regularly when they are being used. I take a bit more care to dry the lockbacks though. That's partly why I appreciate the designs with open pillar construction.

I have never had a problem with rust, but all of my folders are stainless except for the Tuff that is on it's way. I'll probably take a bit more care to keep the 3V dry. Sometimes I put a bit of WD-40 in the pivot too but not always.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

When I joined long ago, I asked a similar question and no one answered. You're having better luck :)

Yes. I am generally scared that nested liners may get rusty, specially on my Millies and Paras. G10 though will absorb oil and screw construction helps. FRN/pinned construction is another matter. Writing on the fly. Hope it makes sense.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Occam'sMachete

Post by Occam'sMachete »

I wash the blades and use a q-tip with rubbing alcohol to clean between the liners. If my knives get really messy I'll wash them in the kitchen sink, towel dry them, and then spray them with WD-40 and oil everything.
JD Spydo

You Better Wash ZDP-189

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm going to tell any of you who own any Spyder made with ZDP-189 that if you don't wash it after using it with food you are asking for disaster. About 4 to 5 years ago I was raising a lot of tomatoes in my garden. one evening I cut up a bunch of them with my ZDP-189 Caly Jr and I forgot to wash it off and I had a blade so pitted that I couldn't believe it :eek:

The acids in the tomato ate it up like using industrial strength acid on it. I even had to send it back to Spyderco to have work done on it. It's probably true with many of Spyderco's great steels but I do know that if you are going to use a ZDP-189 blade with any type of food you better wash and rinse it in fresh water immediately and then thoroughly dry it as well.

I've had VG-10 tarnish badly by not washing it before too. But yes I do highly recommend washing your Spyders with something good like Dawn dishwashing liquid and then giving them a very good rinsing. You do have to take care of these investments.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jnsn

Post by jnsn »

i usually use spic n span or something of the sort on the blade. i dont cut meat though, too many places for it to hide in a folding knife.
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

I carry an Endura when working in the heat on the farm, so it gets soaked in sweat and picks up grit. When I get home I rinse it under warm water, shake it out, and generally apply some WD-40 to the knife blade, the lock area, and pivot area.
I am one of the 0.45%.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Only knives I don't wash are my Safe Queens. With the Exception of my newer model Chinook, I currently have very few of those.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
peeintheshower

Post by peeintheshower »

i wash my blades alot, im just afraid of the screws rusting. i wash with soap and water and dry with a towel, and i blow out all of the water from the spaces.