Big

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
villageidiot

Big

Post by villageidiot »

BIG what is in a name? I love big folders Police, Military and any blade that is 4 inches or better with a 5 inch blade as the winner size. I'll explain first the handle is there for a full hand grip. Second the blade size is there to do all that is nessary except for cleaning under you toe nails( just kidding). The other reason is I have used big folders as Kubatons, emergency hammers (backside of blade when closed) tree
branch trimmers, straight edges for marking a line on paper etc. I am aware that some folks can't carry blades over a certain length due to local laws and that is silly any tool used wrong can be a weapon. That is why when at the Blade Show I got excited by the so named "Whatsitbig" Knife it certainly will fit all the needs I have and then some. Does anyone else think the same?
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Show me a pic of this 'Whatisbig,' please.
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
FarmerSteve

Post by FarmerSteve »

While I definitely believe there is a place for small knives in my collection, I feel very much the same way. I would just about freak if Spyderco came up with a 5-3/8" bladed folder. :D
Boberama

Post by Boberama »

My keychain knife is pretty large.

darkstar29 wrote:Show me a pic of this 'Whatisbig,' please.
Szabo!

4.6 inch blade, compression lock, 6.8 oz.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Boberama wrote:My keychain knife is pretty large.

I like you key tag (no pun intended)
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
villageidiot

Post by villageidiot »

Sal with have to help with a picture. I did not have my camara at the show that day sorry.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

For those who prefer the uber-huge folding blades, check out the "Amok" by Jens Anso:

http://www.knifeisgood.com/knife_makers ... mokPG.html

http://www.knifeisgood.com/knife_makers ... lstOD.html

The Amok (7 1/8" closed) is reportedly the biggest of Anso's folders. The blade alone is 5.75". :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
sal

Post by sal »

villageidiot wrote:Sal with have to help with a picture. I did not have my camara at the show that day sorry.
Sorry Darkstar. No pics of concept models. Once they are prototyped and tooling is in process, we'll show a pic if it will be 6 months or less to production.

sal
Boberama

Post by Boberama »

SpyderNut wrote:For those who prefer the uber-huge folding blades, check out the "Amok" by Jens Anso:

The Amok (7 1/8" closed) is reportedly the biggest of Anso's folders. The blade alone is 5.75". :)
Wow, those are truly beautiful and unique!
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That bolstered Anso is gorgeous. I really don't have much use for anything larger than a Military unless it was used strictly for a hiking/outdoors type knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
villageidiot

Post by villageidiot »

Sorry Sal didn't know the no peek rule on protos.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Yeah, I really sounded off for an overbuilt larger folder from Spyderco a couple years back. Your use pretty much sums up the use under certain circumstances. I can only imagine if that Tuff folder was a 5inch folder! I have been around long enough to know that Sal and the Spyderco crew always have things working in the background. Then just when you think they are not listening.......something comes to the forefront. This would potentially be a great addition to the serve and protect line. Take care all and God Bless!
villageidiot

Post by villageidiot »

Thanks You Stoneyman you are right for blue suit social work big is best.
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

No worries, Sal. I had just never heard of it. Guess I didn't realize it was an actual WIP. :)
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

SpyderNut wrote:For those who prefer the uber-huge folding blades, check out the "Amok" by Jens Anso:

sal i'm getting on my knees and asking you guys to put together a collab like this amok or nemo with mr anso