Techno Stiff Opening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Phat B

Techno Stiff Opening

Post by Phat B »

Hi all. I've been having a bit of an issue with my new techno. The knife is very stiff at the initial opening, getting the blade out of the ball detent. After the detent disengages it is very smooth and travels well, but getting the blade to initially release is really stiff and requires quite a bit of force. I sat and opened it about 20 times and my forearm was sore. The pivot adjustment is fine, the blade will do a gravity drop when unlocked and travels well once I've overcome the initial stiff release. Is this something that will get better over time or is there something I can do to speed the process along and loosen it up a bit so that I can flick it open with my thumb without straining my wrist? I don't have much experience working on lockbacks aside from adjusting the pivot tightness, and I've never done any sort of adjustment to a detent before.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

With Customs officials in more and more countries declaring any knife that can be flicked open to be an illegal "flick knife", I think the more robust ball detents on some of the newer models may well be intentional.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 1623 »

The detent on my example is very strong as well, more so than any other Spyderco I've owned to date.

Personally, it's a non-issue since I generally don't flick my knives open...plus I find the sound and feel of the lock up to be much more gratifying when opened traditionally :)
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I don't have a techno yet so this is just a thought. Perhaps it will smooth out after some time of constant use. Also try a wee bit of oil.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Mine is the same. Just goes along with being a tough, stout, strong frame lock (also, the Techno's hole is closer to the pivot than most). Try pinching the hole between your thumb and index or ring finger to help pop it past the detent.
:bug-red-white
BSBG

Post by BSBG »

Mine has broken in quite a bit in the past week, but it still is not a flicker. Just keep opening and closing and it will get easier. Not sure if it will ever get to where you want it hough.
I have too many expensive hobbies to even consider another one.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Do you think you can pry with that blade? Aimed at Techno owners here.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I don't have one but.....perhaps oil on the ball and work it a while.
Not uncommon with framelocks(have several), Strider is like that.
*I weakned the lock lug by bending(carefully) it back the other way, therby having less force on the tang, yet more than enough force to hold lock in place. In my case, I couldn't open it with one hand.
Or you can deal with it as is.

* You may not want to void the warranty, by taking it apart.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Phat B

Post by Phat B »

Thanks for the advice. I'm not looking to flick it with the snap of the wrist or anything, but as it is now I have great difficulty opening it with one hand. I was just hoping it would loosen up to be more like my meerkat, which is the stiffest spyderco I own. I realize it'll never snap open like my para 2 or sage due to the weight of the blade, but this thing is killing my wrist just to pop it open with my thumb. I oiled the ball and it still needs a ton of thumb strength to open with one hand. I know part of the problem is the shortness of the handle doesn't give me the full amount of leverage, but I still feel like with all the videos that I've seen on youtube for the techno that most people aren't having as hard a time as I am opening it with one hand.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Mine was pretty stiff at first, but has been getting better over the last week. It reminds me of my GB. It was tough at first, but is now butter smooth.
Phat B

Post by Phat B »

I'd also like to note that as a single man in his 30's, I have extremely strong hand and wrist muscles.
Phat B

Post by Phat B »

Gah I just figured it out. Being my first framelock, I was completely unaware that I was pressing my middle finger against the framelock when opening, thereby adding pressure to the process and making it difficult to open. Much smoother now. Now I just gotta find a place to put that finger when I open it.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Phat B wrote:Gah I just figured it out. Being my first framelock, I was completely unaware that I was pressing my middle finger against the framelock when opening, thereby adding pressure to the process and making it difficult to open. Much smoother now. Now I just gotta find a place to put that finger when I open it.
I was about to post this. It's very easy to apply enough pressure to the outside of the lockbar that it's forced inward and doesn't allow the detent ball to move out of the detent. Glad you figured it out!
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Mine is stiff to open and much more difficult to close one-handed.

It got a little better when I loosened the pivot screw. But there's only so much the pivot can be loosened before it causes other issues.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

Mine is also stiff to open and I'm glad for that. Techno is touted as a Mini Tank so I would hope it would be stiff. I am able to fingernail flick it open and wow is it loud hehe. I won't be doing that again. Normal one hand opening and closing using either hand is fine with me :)
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mrlysle

Post by mrlysle »

My Techno has a very strong detent as well. Stronger than any other Spydie I have. But like rutgrr said, it is a little tank, so it doesn't bother me. Everything about the Techno screams "QUALITY"! :)
Jeffro :spyder:
blujaydad

Post by blujaydad »

Mine was the same, so much so that I could not open it with one hand at all. After opening it two handed about 100 times it smoothed right out and now works fine; just give is a little time. A great knife and super sharp!
Phat B

Post by Phat B »

The techno is absolutely flying now. I've been resting my middle finger on the edge of the framelock, barely resting against the hole, rather than pressing down on the lock. Been working it while watching the olympics and it's really loosened up nicely. I give it a little downward push then work it up and it snaps like a beast. Probably the most satisfying click of any of my knives. Just a solid thwack noise when the lock engages.
bayvillageidiot

Post by bayvillageidiot »

It's supposed to be like that. Sebenzas right out of the box feel the same way.
I see from your last post that you've got the situation sussed.
My techno is three days old now, and the action is perfect.
In a very short time, the detente nib eases down enough to make for a smoother release, while still making sure the thing doesn't open accidentally.
The last thing you want is for it to open up in your pocket and cut off something you might need one day. :eek:
amar

Post by amar »

my techno had similar stiff opening, however it has softened over time, and it is much easier to open now. i liked the progression from stiff to soft. did not apply any oil. i don't flick, but use controlled opening.