Anyone Tried the Worksharp WSKTS?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Papa_K

Anyone Tried the Worksharp WSKTS?

Post by Papa_K »

Looks interesting, and the price is fairly low.
It might be worth a try, but I wondered if anyone's had any experience with it.

Links:
http://www.worksharptools.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS- ... =worksharp

I've actually seen this locally for less than that Amazon price.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I remember a thread on the worksharp in the past year. Cliff said that any motorized method of sharpening will negatively affect the heat treating and give you lower performance than hand sharpening.

If you're alright with that, then I say go for it. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Jdavis has a review/talking about it here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkY-4LOQPU8&feature=plcp
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
golddot370

Post by golddot370 »

I have one and I love it. It has gotten every knife that I've sharpened on it hair shaving sharp and then I just maintain my blades with the sharpmaker. If you have any questions pm me and ill get back to you.
International Order Of The SpyderEdge
Spydiefanatic #370
Emersonaholic #370
Team KillboX #370
Proud member of the N.R.A
'MAY GOD HAVE MERCY UPON MY ENEMIES, BECAUSE I WON'T.'
General George S. Patton
Luke 22:36
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

i would imagine that the belts would get very hot if and only if you are doing multiple knives. seems like a solid idea
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

i suppose you could add a coolant dripper if your scared of heat but I dont think there would be any problem with heat if you pass through the belts fast
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Don't mean to change the subject but the Edge Pal (edgepal.com) sharpener looks interesting as well. I believe it is in the Edge Pro/Wicked Edge price range. What caught my attention is there is a guide bar that is curved and supposed to create convex edge bevels. I had to email them for prices.

Jack
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

Yes - I have one.
Bought it from a co-worker who only used it a couple of times - for $30 bucks with all the new belts.
Sharpens my lawmower blade great!
I would use it for my Sanrenmu's - maybe - but not for any of my others.
Yes - it will sharpen your knife.
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I saw it at this year's IWA show and the demo was impressive. I'm not sure about the long term performance of the knife's edge when using this tool. It definitely takes the fun out of sharpening, so I'm going to stick to my Sharpmaker.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Wonder how well it works out in the field?
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

It is basically a smaller, less capable, and more expensive 1x30" belt grinder. I can't imagine your knives are that dull that is needed to sharpen them.
WMR

Post by WMR »

I have used one for several months. I haven't wanted to say anything as it is not for the sharpening purist with an Edge Pro (which I have) or a Wicked Edge. It gives me a fantastic edge on my work knives, and very quickly. You have to get the hang of it, or, if you are not careful, as with any powered belt, you can eat up your knife. I would not use it on my Sebenza but it is my sharpener of choice for most anything else. If I needed to sharpen my Spyderco H-1 it would be my choice, as the heat will probably add to the hardness. I have touched up a ZDP-189 Dragonfly several times... instant razor blade. It gives you a nice convex edge. I might still strop it after a run through the Worksharp but it usually doesn't need it.
Papa_K

Post by Papa_K »

Well, I ended up buying one, and I'm very satisfied with it so far.

With a couple passes, the P80 belt made my axes/hatchets sharper than they've ever been.
For knives, the P220 belt seems very aggressive. I've ordered belts in a couple intermediate grits.

I notice that Work Sharp sells some additional belts in other grits, or http://www.micro-surface.com has a wide variety of 12" x 1/2" belts that work with the WSKTS.

So far, for knife sharpening, I've only used it on a couple KaBars that I consider as "tools".
In my first attempt I was chasing a burr back and forth initially. I switched up technique a little: quicker pull with lighter pressure, starting/stopping with the blade in contact. Finished with a couple passes using the P6000 belt. Those knives got very sharp, very quickly.

For knives, I may end up not using the guide - freehand seemed to work fine. Now that I think about it, I may end up turning the tool on each pass to have the belt pulling away from the edge for both sides of the blade, rather than the push/pull it does by using two sides of the belt triangle and the two guide slots.

I'm waiting for the finer-grit belts to experiment more.

This doesn't replace my Sharpmaker or free-hand stones, but it's a nice addition to the tools. A keeper IMO.