Diamond sharpening stones, how long do they last?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Diamond sharpening stones, how long do they last?

Post by jackknifeh »

I'd like to ask people who have been using good quality diamond stones for several years how you feel about the durability and performance of the stones compared to other types of stones like water or oil stones. If you sharpened knives all day for a living how long do you think diamond stones would last before they needed to be replaced? One week, month, year, many years, etc? Of course I'm talking about stones of high quality like DMT and others that I have never tried. Another thing is the stones would have needed to be usedd and maintained properly. Any other stone they are compared to would also need to be of good quality and taken care of properly. Kept clean and flattened when needed.

I have never had a diamond stone wear out but I have only sharpened my knives and a few others but really too few to mention. My use is no heavier or lighter when I've used other stones also. I have seen a significant amount of wear on water stones to where they need to be flattened but that is normal I guess. I have also seen a lot of time sharpening simply due to the fact that I was learning, trying different edge angles, etc. Now I don't spend much time sharpening because I can keep my knives sharpvery quickly. I don't think I'll ever have a "wear out" issue due to my light use compared to the stones in a shop that provides sharpening services.

Jack
Donut

Post by Donut »

I've been using a Coarse DMT stone for over a year and have dislodged... probably less than 1% of the diamonds and the ones I've dislodged are only missing around the edges. They are pretty durable. I expect them to last me many years.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

I have been using DMT stones for over ten years now and have not had any problems with them. They will hold up very well as long as light pressure is used, so that the diamond particles don't get ripped out.

I did pick up an Eze-Lap model M round hone a few years ago because of how they were promoted by various Tactical Knives magazine editors. I never had any luck with it at all.

I have stayed away from the Japanese waterstones because of the way they dish out — it just doesn't make much sense to me to use them because of the modern particle-process steels.

I get great results with my DMT hones, the Spyderco Double Stuff stone and stropping.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
Sht

Post by Sht »

It's all bout light pressure. Stone like DMT an last a really long time compared to jap water stones. I'd say I still like the way water stones cut better then even DMT stones, can't really put into words why.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have been using Eze-Lap Diamond stones for over 25 years....still as good as new....Just sharpened some kiridashi's with them yesterday......Perfect!.....Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
JD Spydo

2 very good but very little heard of diamond sharpening tools

Post by JD Spydo »

First of all I have a tri-angular, hand held diamond stone that I've had since 2004 and it's really taken a serious beating over the years. This one is made by a little known company called "CERAHONE" and it has been a very dependable diamond/ceramic hand-held stone that I use for reprofiling and serious sharpening on big blades especially.

Another brand of diamond sharpening tools that I own that have been extremely durable and dependable have been all of my 3M diamond sharpening tools. I have 2 of the 3M diamond benchstones and several of their diamond files and they have taken an unbelievable amount of punishment over the years.

Even though 3M is a very well known company you hear very little about their sharpening stones and files. Now Cerahone is still in business the last I heard of them. And the tri-angular sharpening tool I have of theirs has been extremely durable over th years.

I've checked out both the 3M and Cerahone products and both of them use the "monocrystalline" diamonds that are supposed to be the best for sharpening jobs.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

I had one of the Cerahone sharpeners too. I found out about them around ten years ago.

Too bad they never became as popular as other brands of diamond and ceramic sharpeners.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My experience is that the dimpled style lasts a bit longer than the smooth kind. They also don't clog near as much.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
angusW

Post by angusW »

The diamond stones are also promoted to be used to flatten other type of stones. I haven't used mine for that and I haven't used them a whole lot to sharpen knives compared to most but so far my DMT's seem almost new. From their FAQ section.
How long should the Diamond last on a sharpener?

It depends on how often you use it, if you use it properly, and if you keep it clean and properly stored. When used properly, kept clean and stored dry, DMT® diamond sharpeners will last a very long time. They do not last forever, but they last for years and years. If you use your sharpener as part of your daily work and use it many times a day, you will likely need to replace it in a few years after extraordinary service. If you use your sharpener to sharpen your kitchen knives every so often, chances are your sharpener will last ten or more years. Some of our customers report their DMT® sharpeners are still performing after twenty years of service!

Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

angusW wrote:The diamond stones are also promoted to be used to flatten other type of stones. I haven't used mine for that and I haven't used them a whole lot to sharpen knives compared to most but so far my DMT's seem almost new. From their FAQ section.
I used Lansky's diamond stones to flatten my other Lansky stones. Most of their stones come uneven when new so they need flattened. It takes more work than using a large flat surface and sandpaper though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David