Endura or Delica ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ebbingtide

Endura or Delica ?

Post by ebbingtide »

I'm looking to buy either an Endura or Delica in Stainless but I can't decide which one :confused: Could someone please post some size comparison shots of the two with say an Atlantic salt or swiss army knife etc.

Thanks
fliktrik

Post by fliktrik »

Here you go... from top to bottom: Endura, Delica, SAK Super-Tinker

[ATTACH]20665[/ATTACH]
Attachments
spydies.JPG
fliktrik

Post by fliktrik »

Re. choice: a lot will depend on your intended use, and perhaps on local knife laws.

The Endura is a pretty large knife, longer in the pocket and is scarier-looking when its longer blade is open. If you're interested in a knife for self-defense, that's good. If you want it for more general day-to-day utilitarian use, that may not be desirable. The Endura has a long enough blade (3.75") to be an issue in some locales... including the state where I live.

The Delica is often the better choice for normal day-to-day use, but of course it all will depend on your preferences and needs.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Go big or go home. Endura :) !
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Agreed!
tonydahose wrote:Go big or go home. Endura :) !
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
ebbingtide

Post by ebbingtide »

Thanks guys :) I'm thinking Delica because like Fliktrik said its better for day to day general use. I may well get the Endura later if I'm impressed with the Delica.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Good choice. I bought a Delica because the Endura looked a tad too big.
Polar L

Post by Polar L »

May I suggest a compromise. Buy both :)
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Yes get both, in all the colors, with the various different grinds and steels...Then you'll be happy...
Polar L wrote:May I suggest a compromise. Buy both :)
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Delica 4 in a full flat grind.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
zippy2001

Post by zippy2001 »

Both are great knives, but I carry my Delica more than the Endura. Just easier to carry and I don't tend to need the longer blade of the Endura.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Do you have an Atlantic Salt? It uses the Endura3 handle and the blade is more or less the same length but it's a Rescue style one.
ebbingtide

Post by ebbingtide »

Blerv wrote:Do you have an Atlantic Salt? It uses the Endura3 handle and the blade is more or less the same length but it's a Rescue style one.
Yes I do , thanks thats really helpfull , I love my Atlantic salt but not for everyday use . I'm fairly sure I'm going for the Delica now.
jnsn

Post by jnsn »

David Lowry wrote:Delica 4 in a full flat grind.
this!

i got mine last week and love it.
fliktrik

Post by fliktrik »

Whichever you get, I'd suggest getting the FFG (full flat grind) version. For me at least, I've found that the FFG blades perform better, on average, than the saber-ground blades... for most tasks anyway. In the photos above the Endura (and SAK) are FFG, while the Delica is flat-saber-ground. Over time I've come to strongly prefer the FFG blades when I have a choice. If I were to buy a 2nd Delica, it'd be one with the FFG blade...
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I don't have experience with FFG, but saber grind is no good if you're looking to cut carrots, for example. It's fine for wood, though.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've got both, but the Endura hardly ever gets pocket time unless I'm on a camping trip. My orange Delica is my main "fruit knife" at work - its main duty is dismembering apples, pears, and other fruit-like substances at lunch. :eek:

The Delica is a much more useful size for my normal EDC.

TedP
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I have both, and carry my delica far more.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Sapho

Post by Sapho »

I use my Delica for EDC. I dont have an Endura but am looking for one for my weekend EDC. :D
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

fliktrik wrote:Here you go... from top to bottom: Endura, Delica, SAK Super-Tinker

[ATTACH]20665[/ATTACH]
That's so funny. I have those exact same models: green-handled Endura, Delica 4 and a SAK S-T.