Knife selection, H1 Salt preffered please help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Knife selection, H1 Salt preffered please help

Post by Half Sack »

*short time lurker, first time posting*
This site is great, I've read a lot here and learned a bunch.

My first :spyder: is a plain edge Endura 4 frn knife, it has been an EDC since I opened the box. I love it and it is rarely out of reach at work or home. I didn't think I'd be buying multiples but having a quality knife on hand is great! At work I'm more than willing to lend my dollar store box cutters to fellow employees and my Endura has been used nearly daily either opening shrink wrap or boxes at work (I'm in parcel shipping) or at home cutting the cats meds in half or anything else a good blade can be used for, one apple fell victim.

Now my question:
Like most of you I'd like to buy a second blade :rolleyes: , I'm looking for something smaller than the Endura (honestly if I had seen the size of the knife I would have gone smaller, delica etc) anyhow I'm looking at anything in the H1 Salt line for a go to edc.
The ladybug salt won't scare people and would be a good edc, but I have a reason to want a Salt blade. I have a divers permit and always wanted a blade that I can take in the water should I need one.

Is the ladybug too small? If so what would you suggest, and should I get a PE or SE? I think an serrated edge would be better underwater because I may not have the time to cut correctly as I would like to above water. While I have plans to buy a sharpmaker, I have no sharpener nor skills to do so. The SE will stay sharper longer (different/harder to sharpen), and will tear/cut through most things but a well sharpened PE will likely do the job aswell.
This blade will be used everyday before I reach for my Endura and will be in the water less that 1% of its life, is a ladybug slightly small for random use and underwater or perfect?

Should I get a Salt Ladybug or a larger blade, and should I get a PE or SE?

Sorry for the huge post but I'm trying to get more info in so I get better responses. I love this forum, time to troll some more... :D Thanks in advance.
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
Grif

Post by Grif »

I'm in the same situation I want to buy the big pacific salt black blade and another salt but don't know which
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Half Sack & Grif,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

I would go with a Salt 1 in SE. The 3" blade is perfect for edc and serrated h1 will hold an edge longer than most other steels, plus yellow frn is awesome.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
Welcome to the forum.
You might want to check out one of the se hawk bills in h1.
I have the se ladybug hawk bill and it's a great little knife.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

For underwater dive stuff a ladybug will be too small. The ladybug is a small knife, dont go trying to slice fruit unless its blueberrys or grapes lol. Not saying dont get one, you should get a ladybug salt, they are freaking awesome. But get at least a Salt 1 as well.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Grif

Post by Grif »

Can some one help me out with my post I'm Grif my post is titled: new member salts questions
MsbS

Post by MsbS »

How about a Dragonfly Salt? Larger than Ladybug, but still small and handy. I am seriously considering getting one with SE.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Hey, Half Sack and Grif - welcome to the forum!

I'm with MsbS - the Dragonfly Salt is a great compromise. Big enough to be a great cutter, but small enough to pocket. I carry mine with a little 2" lanyard and no clip. It slips right into the pocket.

TedP
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

MsbS wrote:How about a Dragonfly Salt? Larger than Ladybug, but still small and handy. I am seriously considering getting one with SE.
I agree with what TedP said. It is an awesome knife and you honestly dont need anything bigger for urban/regular EDC (obviously depending on what your doing)

I got the PE H1 Dfly but think i prob should have got the SE b/c non of my spydies have SE and this one supposedly does great in SE. For the money, its a no brainer... GET IT! :)
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
Sht

Post by Sht »

Dragonfly H1 or maybe a tasman SE in H1. I edc the Tasman SE in H1 every day at work or the beach. I need some more H1 hint hint. like a super leaf in h1 if it could be done for $200 I'd be all over that.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I have a Dragonfly Salt SE, and it is amazing. Perfect for EDC, and it cuts like a much larger knife.