one quip about knives with open construction.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

one quip about knives with open construction.

Post by casey1 »

i have a sage 1, and i'm assuming the same problem is present on the 2 and knives like the para 2. It is uncomfortable to grip the sage hard because of the open construction, but it is particularly bad around the blade jimping: this is a problem i believe is caused by creating an aesthetic 'flush' appearance when the blade is closed. I think if the area was not rounded, but square, the back of the knife would be much more comfortable (like on the para 1). I see the benefits of open construction, but why aren't there more knives like the para 1 in this way? does anyone else dislike that? I was considering getting a backspacer made but i don't think one could be made for the sage because it couldn't reach the uncomfortable area.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Is it the neck shape or the open pillar? Sorry for not fully understanding :( .

Can't speak for the Sage1 but my 2 is extremely comfortable.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah i'm not sure i'm following what you're trying to say either, but i've felt some discomfort with pillar construction when pressing really hard into cuts. I originally considered replacing the back spacer on my Military with pillars until i realized how that back spacer was helping to prevent pinching. In the end i'll live with it for open construction, it's just so much easier to clean and lighter weight. By contrast though, my Vallotton is soooo much more comfortable to use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
casey1

Post by casey1 »

in my sage 1 it is the dip in the back of the blade at the stop pin. the para 2 has the same issue, while the para 1 is flat and flush with the knife's back while open.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

dont follow. the way i hold it, it seems perfectly fine unless there is a burr on the liners
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I gotcha now. Yea I'm sure it's a mix of manufacturing requirements and aesthetics. The flip as you said to non-piller construction (or even backspaced ones) is a bit more cleaning frustration. The answer is probably specific shopping or custom mods.

Is it uncomfortable in all grips? Choil, normal, thumb up, thumb down? Of my small collection some are more kind to the hand than others. A sharp blade cuts down on effort though so having a white stone close by for boring phone calls works wonders ;) .

"oh interesting. What's that noise? What noise?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

casey1 wrote:in my sage 1 it is the dip in the back of the blade at the stop pin. the para 2 has the same issue, while the para 1 is flat and flush with the knife's back while open.
Ahh yes...i know what you're talking about. What you have here is a lesser of two evils. The reason that dip is there is because if it wasn't, you'd have a sharp corner of the tang sticking out by the pivot when the knife is closed and stuck in your pocket. This was probably the biggest gripe from every Para 1 owner, especially since that knife was limited to tip down construction. I can't tell you how many times that corner scratched the **** out of my hand when trying to get into my pocket. If i had to say there was ever a design flaw in a Spyderco knife, that damned corner would be it. Yeah, it's nicer having that spot behind the thumb ramp filled when the knife is open, but i'll settle for it being flush with the rest of the knife when closed instead. It got so bad that i eventually ground down the corner on my Para 1.

Here's a pic i found that shows both of them closed...that corner is just ugly, sharp and in the way. In fact if you look closely, the owner of this one has already rounded off that corner himself.

Here's a pic of mine
All SE all the time since 2017
~David