Suggestion for a 2013 Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Suggestion for a 2013 Sprint Run

Post by The Deacon »

In their 1993 catalog, Spyderco offered the "All God's Critters Have Knives" t-shirts shown below. Catalog is all black & white, but I'm guessing the artwork was actually color...

...and I'm thinking a 20th Anniversary reprise of it would be cool. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I second this motion I would buy one probably two
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I would love to have white T-shirt with B&W artwork
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

That's a well thought out wording. The more I think about it.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
APS

Post by APS »

Yes, yes, yes! I'd like to see them for sale on a regular basis actually.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Definitely would like to see forum-specific apparel. The "God's critters have knives" quote is classic.
Oofa

Post by Oofa »

I would love that t-shirt if it simply said, "All Creatures Have Knives".
casey1

Post by casey1 »

Oofa wrote:I would love that t-shirt if it simply said, "All Creatures Have Knives".
I was writing out a long post, but for the sake of everyone that would in turn read it, I chose not to :) I am a Christian. There. But let's talk about the T-shirt, not the religious or philosophical stuff. This is a knife forum. If Spyderco as a company takes a stand for Theism, good on them. It shouldn't stop anyone from supporting their awesome work.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would pre-order a handful right now! Agree with bh49, b&w artwork would be prefered.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I'm in! XXXL please ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Oofa

Post by Oofa »

casey1 wrote:I was writing out a long post, but for the sake of everyone that would in turn read it, I chose not to :) I am a Christian. There. But let's talk about the T-shirt, not the religious or philosophical stuff. This is a knife forum. If Spyderco as a company takes a stand for Theism, good on them. It shouldn't stop anyone from supporting their awesome work.
Isn't the topic "suggestions for a 2013 sprint run"? That's my suggestion. Do not bring God into a slogan for a knife company. I don't know what you being a Christian has to do with anything. A companies stand on anything makes a difference to many people when deciding if they want to do business with that company. That is why I suggest a more neutral slogan on the t-shirt. Just a knife guys opinion.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Oofa wrote:That's my suggestion. Do not bring God into a slogan for a knife company.
It's already there. And I for one strongly support it.

Ken
玉鋼
Studey

Post by Studey »

I think a run of the shirt would be cool.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Studey wrote:Apparantly they decided in 1993 that they wanted "God's critters" as opposed to not mentioning God. If you don't like that, and they make another, don't buy it. The owner of a company is free to put his beliefs and ideas out there all he or she wants...that could possibly affect business with some people, such as yourself Oofa, but there's no need to take offense at someone else's beliefs. I'm a Christian, not a Muslim, but if the owner of a knife company was a follower of Islam and wanted to put on a shirt, "All of Allah's creatures have knives," I wouldn't be offended and think that "Allah" needs removed from the shirt. If it's not what I believed, or I didn't like it, I wouldn't buy it.
+1

I am not a religious man, so I wouldn't buy this particular shirt. But I have no issues with it being made then or now. Everyone should have the freedom to express whatever they believe in (as long as it harms no one) just like everyone has the right to not buy or follow anything they don't believe in.

Tolerance and open mindedness is the way.
On the hunt for...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

"God" is a pretty general term, but still, religion often divides and offends people. This thread is already going in a less than positive direction. It's a nice concept, but I find the shirt too busy for my tastes, regardless of any other issues. I prefer the simple Spyderco logo shirt in front.
:bug-red-white
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

gbelleh wrote: I find the shirt too busy for my tastes, regardless of any other issues. I prefer the simple Spyderco logo shirt in front.
This
On the hunt for...
superspyder

Post by superspyder »

YES! And reprint the Posters too! I would buy one.
Oofa

Post by Oofa »

Studey wrote:Apparantly they decided in 1993 that they wanted "God's critters" as opposed to not mentioning God. If you don't like that, and they make another, don't buy it. The owner of a company is free to put his beliefs and ideas out there all he or she wants...that could possibly affect business with some people, such as yourself Oofa, but there's no need to take offense at someone else's beliefs. I'm a Christian, not a Muslim, but if the owner of a knife company was a follower of Islam and wanted to put on a shirt, "All of Allah's creatures have knives," I wouldn't be offended and think that "Allah" needs removed from the shirt. If it's not what I believed, or I didn't like it, I wouldn't buy it.
I wouldn't make such assumptions. Please quote where I took offense at someone's religious beliefs. I'll eat those words. Having "God's Critters" on a t-shirt will not affect business with me. I didn't mean to even suggest that. I'm looking at it from a business point of view, not a personal point of view. Having a t-shirt that says, "All of Allah's Creatures Have Knives" would be IMHO, a bad business move also but it wouldn't keep me from buying the high quality knives. I have not stated any religious beliefs and I hope no one presumes anything about me because of my take on how to attract more customers to Spyderco. Although putting the word God on a t-shirt is not necessarily a religious belief, I think you assume that everyone that is into knives believes in God. Of course you can put whatever beliefs you have on your companies t-shirt. But why limit your customer base? It's ok to not agree with that.

Hey...... I came here for the Spyderco talk and info. No desire to offend or talk about controversial social topics. I'm sorry I expressed my opinion in the first place. :(
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

They could always change it to: "All the Earth's Creatures Have Knives" The capitalization of "Earth" indicating the name of the planet.

I love the idea of more Spyderco shirts. I would like to see a few modern designs. Not to flashback too far ( :p ) but growing up with brands like Mossimo and Quiksilver showed clothing could have a message coded into a design.

Let's avoid the topics of politics and religion. No reason to get offended and definitely no reason to go there :) . It wastes typing that could be spent on knife stuff.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Wow, this thread got derailed quickly!

My only problem with the shirt is the design is far too busy for my taste. For this reason only, I'd pass on getting one.

Note to Oofa: welcome to the forum. As a new member here, I hope you take some time to get to know the people that frequent the forum and that you become a more established part of the community. I may not agree with your view of dictating what the company can or can't say, but hope that we can enjoy the common ground that is our love of knives.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com