In Love with Chaparral. Do I need a Sage?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JerryIsAlive

In Love with Chaparral. Do I need a Sage?

Post by JerryIsAlive »

I absolutely love my Chap. My first knife ever was a Dragonfly 2, but as soon as I saw the Chaparral, I returned the dfly and picked up a Chap. I had a tough time deciding between the Chaparral and Sage 1 the first time around. I love the look of both, but didnt think I needed the bigger blade in the Sage for my use. I work in a law office, so I rarely need a knife at work, but I still like to carry one. Since the Chap, I also picked up a Para2 for anything that needs a bigger blade, for stuff at home and weekends. The chap feels great in my jeans. Cant even feel its in my pocket. That said, do I need a Sage? I have a Chap, Para2, and a Dragonfly 2 Salt on its way. Is there anything Sage 1 brings to the table that I should add this to my repertoire?

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Sage gives you 3/16" more blade and is a bit larger and thicker, so it's more hand filling. There are times that can make it more comfortable to use, others where it just means more bulk in your pocket. Aside from that, unless you ever feel the Chaparral's 2mm blade is "too delicate" for the task at hand, there's really little the Sage can do that it can't and for pure slicing performance it has the Sage beat hands down.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

No you don't NEED a Sage. You have your bases covered with the Chap, PM2, and Dfly. That being said, the sage is an excellent knife so if you just want some variety in your carry the Sage would fit into your office environment nicely.
Member of the LH Military Club

My Spydies - Military Lefty, Endura 4 PE, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Chaparal, Bolstered Manbug, Nishijin Cricket Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I like the design of the Dragonfly2 Salt over the others in its size. That has worked well for me and afterwards, I feel that I prefer blades that are the size of the para2 and Millie for EDC. Heard good things about the Chap and Sage but worried about them being too small in my hands. Perhaps one day I will try one out but till then, I am undecided.

Just my thoughts.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

JerryIsAlive wrote:I absolutely love my Chap. My first knife ever was a Dragonfly 2, but as soon as I saw the Chaparral, I returned the dfly and picked up a Chap. I had a tough time deciding between the Chaparral and Sage 1 the first time around. I love the look of both, but didnt think I needed the bigger blade in the Sage for my use. I work in a law office, so I rarely need a knife at work, but I still like to carry one. Since the Chap, I also picked up a Para2 for anything that needs a bigger blade, for stuff at home and weekends. The chap feels great in my jeans. Cant even feel its in my pocket. That said, do I need a Sage? I have a Chap, Para2, and a Dragonfly 2 Salt on its way. Is there anything Sage 1 brings to the table that I should add this to my repertoire?

I have the CF Chaparral and love it also. I had a Sage1 and loved that knive. I don't collect knives, just use them. I have bought around 40 knives in the past few years and in the past year or so I have sold a lot of them. That's because I wasn't using them and I had some really nice ones. I sold my Sage1 BECAUSE of the Chaparral. If I wanted the look of either knives I would carry the Chaparral but if I wanted the extra umph I now carry a Sage4 (sometimes along with the Chaparral). So, my suggestion is if you want something a little bigger get something that doesn't look almost exactly like the Chap. Also, if you carry the Chaparral and want to carry something stronger at the same time the Sage1 is stronger but not a lot stronger IMO. The Sage4 is a VERY tough knife IMO. Much tougher than the Sage1 and the Sage1 is a very durable knife. I can't figure out if the Sage4 or the Gayle Bradley is my favorite. The Chaparral would be in the running for favorite but sometimes I need a stronger knife. The Chaparral is the PERFECT EDC knife for office use and such. That is until the titanium Chaparral arrives. I won't get one right away but will have one soon. They should be available this year or so I understand. Almost double the Chaparral's money but from the video I've seen and the specs, I want one bad.

If you like the Chaparral and the Para2 and the Dfly I think you are pretty well covered for the normal guy's EDC needs. Of course I'm leaving out the "I want" issue. :) For me it's a Manbug G-10, Chaparral and Sage4 (or GB). I still have a couple others but these see use more than any.

My opinions only. The struggle of decision is half the fun. :D

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It wont slice as well but it's smoother at the pivot. The Sage 1 is one of the smoothest opening knives I've handled that didn't have a bearing pivot. I'm thinking about making a wharnie Chaparral.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

Think I am going to stay put for now, but the Sage 1 is definitely on my list. Thanks for all the replies so far.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

no, but buy one anyway lol