The C155TIP Centofante Memory has arrived!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

panch0 wrote:That sure is a nice looking blade. I really like the shape of the blade on that one.
I do too, panch0. I've read that Mr. Centofante was partial to the spear-point blade pattern, which is very evident in this knife. Not only beautiful, the spear-point also lends itself well to various every-day type chores.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderNut wrote:
wec12 wrote:One question though, is the "lock" titanium?
That is a good question. I’m not 100% certain, but I’ll venture to say that it is a titanium lock due to the fact that the product information guide denotes the handles as being “blue anodized titanium” featuring the “Michael Walker Liner-Lock” (with no mention of a stainless steel liner-lock).
Perhaps more importantly, the liner is the same color as the scales. Think getting a match like that would be difficult, if not impossible, if they weren't both the same material. Plus, it doesn't attract a magnet. For that matter neither do the backspacer or pivot. Many Walker lock knives have steel liners, including a few Spyderco has done with titanium scales like the Lum Tanto and Chinese Folder, but I'm virtually certain the Centofante Memory is not among them.

Great photos, by the way, and glad to see these are finally making it out into the world.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
robin0999

Post by robin0999 »

I wasn't really a fan of the normal Centofante 3 scales, but wow, that blade looks gorgeous!
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

SpyderNut,

I finally got mine today! I'd post pictures, but I don't think I could do it justice after seeing yours. The knife is beautiful. I'll carry mine, but be extra careful when I do.

To anyone on the fence: Get one. IMO you won't have any complaints.

James
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Deacon wrote:Perhaps more importantly, the liner is the same color as the scales. Think getting a match like that would be difficult, if not impossible, if they weren't both the same material. Plus, it doesn't attract a magnet. For that matter neither do the backspacer or pivot. Many Walker lock knives have steel liners, including a few Spyderco has done with titanium scales like the Lum Tanto and Chinese Folder, but I'm virtually certain the Centofante Memory is not among them.

Great photos, by the way, and glad to see these are finally making it out into the world.
Good point, Paul. (And I never would have thought about trying a magnet on the liner. Duh! :o ). Thanks for the feedback on the photos too. I'm no Mr. Blonde, but I try. :)
robin0999 wrote:I wasn't really a fan of the normal Centofante 3 scales, but wow, that blade looks gorgeous!
There's something about the way that the VG-10 shimmers that makes me a little weak in the knees. :D
vaisforlovers wrote:SpyderNut,

I finally got mine today! I'd post pictures, but I don't think I could do it justice after seeing yours. The knife is beautiful. I'll carry mine, but be extra careful when I do.

To anyone on the fence: Get one. IMO you won't have any complaints.

James
That's wonderful news! I'm glad you like it too. :) I know it far exceeded my expectations. (On a side note, please don't worry--post a few pictures! I find it's a great way to celebrate a new blade. I'm truly just an amateur when it comes to the camera. I just enjoy spending hours taking pictures of my blades. Kinda' lame, right? :D ) Congrats again, man!

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Always thought this was a beautiful blade from the first time I saw the proto pics a while back....and these new shots with the filed backspacer, etc....I'm in awe. I want one really bad...looks like its time to start selling again...lol. Great pics!!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

Thanks for these pics, the knife looks about 10 times better than in stock photos. Not really something I'm all that interested in, but good looking none the less.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

BDNX and jhyde7585,

Thanks! :) Having carried it for most of the weekend, I can say that I am extremely impressed. There's something about the clean and graceful lines of this knife that really facinate me.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Well, thanks to this thread, I just ordered a Centofante Memory. Hopefully it will arrive by the end of the week!
:bug-red-white
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Muahahaha! ;) I don't think *one more* Spydie can hurt, gbelleh. :D I'd be interested to know your thoughts (after you receive it, that is).

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I finally received my Centofante Memory after an unusually long transit time in the mail. Overall, I find it an elegant, efficient, beautiful knife with a simple, streamlined shape and excellent blade shape for my daily tasks. An excellent gentleman's folder, and a very nice tribute to Frank Centofante.

The knife was slightly smaller and lighter than I imagined, but I like the compact size. It has a lot of cutting edge packed into the small handle. The light blue anodizing is nice looking, and the glass fiber is much better looking in person. In fact, I really like the look of the glass fiber. It has a nice silvery shimmer to it, and I actually much prefer this material to Nishijin. My Centofante Memory came razor sharp with a nice, even grind, and good solid lockup.

To be picky, mine is not without a few very small flaws related to fit and finish. These small flaws don't bother me, and don't really detract from the knife, unless really scrutinizing it. But, I have to say, the fit and finish is not to the level of my jigged bone damascus Delica, which was literally flawless and surpassed all my expectations. I also was surprised to see the Memory arrive in a large zipper pouch. I wonder why it didn't come in the more appropriately sized smaller case that the damascus Delica shipped with?

Anyway, this is a beautifully made, great looking, highly functional knife that I'm glad to add to the collection, and will enjoy using. Thanks to Spyderco for releasing this excellent tribute to Frank Centofante. :)

The Memory alongside a couple of its relatives, the Vesuvius and Centofante 3...

Alongside the jigged bone damascus Delica...

Inexplicably large pouch?

Along with the Delica and pouch (which is plenty large for the rather diminutive Memory)
:bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

Frank was a very special person and an excellent custom maker. I've learned much about leadership from Frank, a skill for which he was exceptional. Honor, fairness and integrity also ranked high for him. The knife was originally a gift for me about 15 years ago. After Frank passed, we thought it would be a grand piece if we could make it in production. We at Spyderco miss Frank. We hope you enjoy our offering in his memory.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sal,

Thank you for sharing this, sir. It must have been a huge honor indeed to call Mr. Centofante a "friend." I am just so delighted that Spyderco decided to develop this knife into a production piece. Just last night, I told my wife that the Memory has to be "the perfect knife" for me. I love everything about it; There is nothing I would change. (And yes, that also means my long-beloved Starmate is no longer alone in my "all-time favorites" category of Spyderco knives).

All the best,

Michael