Your Favorite Salt Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
panch0

Your Favorite Salt Knife

Post by panch0 »

I have owned an PE Salt1, a Tasman, and now a hawkbill ladybug salt. I was out on the coast this past week and started t see some rust spots on my Balance and they came off with no ill effects but that got me thinking I should invest in another salt blade. Actually a small PE and a larger SE. I was thinking like maybe a dragon fly and a pacific.

What is your favorite salt and why?
:spyder: Para2 :spyder: LadyBug Hawkbill Salt :spyder: Balance :spyder:
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I have a Salt I and Pacific. Both plain edge. They takes a sharp edge with little effort. I agree with you, I'd prefer a SE on the Pacific, but I'll make due.

My favorite is the Salt I. It's got the same ergos as the Delica, and is just the right size for most of my ocean and sweaty tasks! The only time I bring my Pacific is when I'm fishing or crabbing. Then I have both.

I'm glad you have an excuse to get another Salt!
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I own 2 salts and today was my first experience with harsh climates and my H1 steels. My dragonfly 2 and my spyderhawk both were riding in my board shorts all dat today. In and out of the ocean several times today, then and outdoor shower, grilled tuna steaks in the afternoon sun. Used the spyderhawk to devein the large shrimp. Just a few minutes ago I washed them both very extensively in warm soapy water and made sure to open the action under running water to ensure the debris from the pivot. The steel is flawless and I have to get myself another. I did need to touch up the edge and a few light strops on each side with green compound brought it right back.

The dragonfly is possibly my favorite because of the deep carry wire clip, 50/50 choil, and screw type construction (all aside from the obvious H1 steel).
The spyderhawk is an awesome EDC as well with the precise tip and thick spine too. Tough choice between the two, but if I had my way the ultimate could be a dragonfly sized folder with a pocket clip and a hawkbill in PE or SE (**** I would buy both).
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I just got my first H1, a Salt 1 PE. Love it and can't wait to use it when I go surf casting. Hope to get a Tasman SE soon. I guess I'll need a Pacific Salt and a Dragonfly too. Perfect for Florida.
** Endura 1 SE G2, Delica 1 CE G2, Co-Pilot SE Almite G2, Bob Terzuola Jr CE ATS-34, Rescue Jr SE ATS-55, Caly 3 PE VG-10 G10, Lady Bug II SE AUS-6, Delica 4 PE VG-10, Endura 4 CE Vg-10, Lady Bug 3 PE VG-10, Cricket SE VG-10, Salt 1 PE H1, Dragonfly 2 PE VG-10, UK Penknife PE CTS BD1 **
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

only have 1 salt. My PE FFG (zero) ladybug that I reground :D
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i loved my old work knife, a serrated tasman but its replacement, the jumpmaster, is awesome so that one gets my vote.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
The Student

Post by The Student »

D'fly, but it is the only thing in H1 I own... So not really fair I guess but it is my most used knife if that counts for anything. Hope to own a Tasman soon though.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

My Tasman money clip.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

So far I only have a Catcherman and a yellow Pacific serrated. I don't carry the Pacific. But it stays on the counter and I use it every day in the kitchen. I really want to get a Salt I plain edge and an Aqua. The Catcherman goes with me everytime I go fishing. :D
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i own a SE tasman h-1, within one fishing day working with it on a boat in the pacific sea i was disappointed on how it became so dull so fast. h-1 is a soft steel plain & simple!

its probably the easiest to sharpen because its the softest steel to sharpen.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

My favorite salt is the yellow SE Salt 1, but I've tested the smaller yellow H1 Dragonfly and I'm very happy with it too. Together they make a nice combo for rustproof EDC.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I own a Rock Salt, Tasman, Catcherman, ladybug, and Aqua salt. My favorite is the Aqua salt SE - it has an excellent grip and the serrated edge is awesome.
JD Spydo

SE Spyderhawk

Post by JD Spydo »

After owning and using several of the H-1 Salt series I've enjoyed playing with and using many of them. But there are actually 2 that I really love>> So I say it's a tie between my SE Spyderhawk and my Green handled Catcherman.

But if I had to pick between the 2 I would probably go with the Spyderhawk.

I like the Tasman but it just doesn't have the ridgidity that I love about the Harpy model. But the Tasman probably would be next in line.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I only own one Salt, a Dragonfly SE. As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect as a small EDC or beater. I'd like to get a Pacific SE sometime in the future.
justinl

Post by justinl »

I'm positive that I'm the minority here, but I'm not a fan of spydie serrations in a softer steel like H1. I have salt 1s in both PE and SE and much much prefer PE. Granted I use them both quite hard, but i ended up chipping the SE. Not the points, but inside the serration valleys. I chipped the PE too but it is a lot easier to maintain/repair after hard use.
dwong

Post by dwong »

USN catchman...that just a cool knife, but need a D'fly so I can carry it daily.
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I only have the Salt 1 PE. It was my first :spyder: and I'll never get rid of it. I had it given the FFG treatment by Tom Krein. It's a wicked slicer now and is very easy to sharpen. I actually like how soft it is because it can take a lot of abuse and is easy to touch up. Plus, it's easier to put a polished edge on it.
tikkidaddy
Location: marietta sc...but im not sure if its on earth though!!

Post by tikkidaddy »

Pacific Salt SE gets my vote...anyway for now
"I hate the thought of killing anything, its the last thing I would advise, but as a matter of survival, all creatures are fair game."-- Les Stroud.

I wonder if spyders feel that way too??--mark.
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Tasman se. I actually had to free a seagull yesterday that a tourist caught fishing off pier. Tasman worked perfect for cutting line and not the bird
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Caspian Salt is mine although I like that the SE L'bug is impervious to rust :)
Attachments
caspian small.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]