Grail - Large Wegner C48

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Simple Man

Grail - Large Wegner C48

Post by Simple Man »

Not a be all end all grail, but one I've been looking for. This one just came in today and for a 12-16 year old knife it is a fine specimen. I ran across one of these locally 8-10 years ago, not long after they were disco'd, passed on it and have wanted one since. I got this one from the 'bay and it looks to only have been carried a few times with just a minor scuff on the clip. It was designed by Tim Wegner, now of Bladetech, back in the day. Pictured with my EDC G-10 E4.

Attachments
Wegner 011 (Medium).jpg
Wegner 008 (Medium).jpg
Wegner 005 (Medium).jpg
Wegner 013 (Medium).jpg
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal

Post by 1623 »

Awesome man, such a great design.

Enjoy it!
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

That's a really cool knife, and like 1623 said,it's an awesome design. I saw one on the internet a long time ago, and I forgot about it, it looks really nice though... Congrats on gettin one of your Grail knives
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Thanks, I was really impressed when it got here. It has the factory edge on it and all, still sharp. Not quite factory/today sharp, but I bet a stropping would bring it back to new, not a ding or a roll at all. Real nice thing is that it has just enough break in on it that I will not be afraid to carry it on occasion.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Wegner is still one of my all time favorite designs. Nice work, man. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

The C48 Wegner is my favorite of the hunter-style :spyder: models. I love the size, curved handle, and drop-point blade. The ATS-34 steel on these was outstanding too.

Enjoy that classic knife!
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Sweet find!!! This is very nice knife! Nice ergonomy, good steel!! And hard to find... and next the jr? :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That's a nice find. Back in the day it even was considered a top tactical folder - for whatever that's worth. IIRC it was unofficially adopted by the Gunsite training center as it's main tactical folder. I like my sample, but I was disappointed by its weight and small opening hole.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It feels so good in the hand in all grips. Such a good knife. I don't like liner locks, but I like it and it's in my pocket right now. I sharpened the hole, and that kind of made up for its small size. Not gonna happen, but I'd be all over one in a back lock.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Brian Turner

Post by Brian Turner »

Sorry to take so long before jumping in. The C48 is simply one of the best designs and implementations ever. I've had mine for over 15 years and used it for everything including cutting electrical cables. Yes, partially serrated, and it's good to have friends who can put an edge back on after you take one down to nothing. :) Back a lifetime ago I loved it so much that I commissioned a slightly larger (4+" blade) fixed one from Tim Wegner, made of Talonite by Rob Simonich (RIP) They fixed the one necessarily evil thing I didn't like about the C48 - that it's flat. Unfortunately, the C48 is a folder and has to fit into pockets - go figure! Tim and Rob made it with a beautifully contoured, all rounded edges micarta handle. It is probably the most useful multi-purpose knife I own. I prefer not to chop with it, and it's a bit less hefty than the loppers I like to carry in the woods (with blades 4 or 5 inches longer), but other than that job, it can and does handle everything thrown at it while keeping its edge and even its looks.

The C48 Wegner is the knife I choose for my workhorse, and I have many to choose from. The C48 is a definite hall of famer. BTW, the descendent of the C48 is still available from Tim in S30V at his site.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Brian Turner wrote:Sorry to take so long before jumping in. The C48 is simply one of the best designs and implementations ever. I've had mine for over 15 years and used it for everything including cutting electrical cables. Yes, partially serrated, and it's good to have friends who can put an edge back on after you take one down to nothing. :) Back a lifetime ago I loved it so much that I commissioned a slightly larger (4+" blade) fixed one from Tim Wegner, made of Talonite by Rob Simonich (RIP) They fixed the one necessarily evil thing I didn't like about the C48 - that it's flat. Unfortunately, the C48 is a folder and has to fit into pockets - go figure! Tim and Rob made it with a beautifully contoured, all rounded edges micarta handle. It is probably the most useful multi-purpose knife I own. I prefer not to chop with it, and it's a bit less hefty than the loppers I like to carry in the woods (with blades 4 or 5 inches longer), but other than that job, it can and does handle everything thrown at it while keeping its edge and even its looks.

The C48 Wegner is the knife I choose for my workhorse, and I have many to choose from. The C48 is a definite hall of famer. BTW, the descendent of the C48 is still available from Tim in S30V at his site.
I'd love to see a pic of that. :cool:

- best wishes, Jazz.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Congrats on your acquisition. I think the C48 also deserves a SPRINT release, with CQI design considerations in mind of course. WENGER SPRINT!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Congrats on your pick, SimpleMan! To be honest, both Wegners were not on my radar in the 1997/1998 timeframe. For whatever reason, I missed out on the original release and all the disco sales...

Since about 2005 or so, I've lusted after a C49 Wegner Jr. Never have pulled the trigger on one... I probably should one of these days...They are only getting harder and harder to find...

TedP