Delica training video?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zeabed

Delica training video?

Post by Zeabed »

I understand that there is at least one sd training video covering smaller folders that includes the Spyderco Delica and I've been meaning to buy one for some time. Does anyone know which of Janich's videos, for example, has the Delica training segment(s)? I would appreciate the benefit of your knowledge and thank you in advance.
unit

Post by unit »

I have the MBC enhanced version of "A Crash Course In Defensive Knife Tactics" and I believe he uses a Delica exclusively in the video...though nothing in the video is specifically limited to the Delica (except possibly for the meat man demonstration where he shows the damage it can inflict....if I recall correctly).

It seems to be a nice video and the concepts are simple and would work with just about any knife you choose...in fact, there is a portion of the video that talks about knife choice, and my take away was that the knife is far less important than your ability to use it.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Ken is exactly right (thanks, Ken) and referenced the best starting point for my approach to defensive knife tactics: "Martial Blade Concepts: The Enhanced Version." This DVD explains the logic of carrying small folding knives and the tactics for using them effectively to achieve reliable stopping power. It is not Delica specific, but I carry two Delicas daily and train with Delica trainers regularly. They work perfectly for my approach to knife tactics.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

Well, Mike and Ken, I certainly got my reply and a good one it is. Thank you both. Straight from the source as it were. Of course I agree that's it not so much about the knife but the knife user. Since I've just ordered a new Delica (I already have a very old one), it's just that this is the one knife I had in mind. And Mike, I learned bali song flipping from one of your videos years ago. Thank you for that too.

Ed
DelicateEndurance

Post by DelicateEndurance »

Other than the MBC titles, I will also recommend a couple of Jim Grover's videos; specifically, "Kem-ba-tiv Knife" and "Inside the Crucible Vol 3". Personally, I carry a Kiwi. It does not meet the criteria of a tactical folder, but I think I can make it work.