Whale Rescue Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

DCDesigns wrote:Now to get to work designing a folding mechanism for it so I can EDC it! what do you think, ball bearing lock or perhaps a comp lock...
A folder would make this one wild knife! I have a folding limb saw and a paratrooper machete - both with large oversized handles. I like them because they are easy to carry, smaller than a Fixed blade.

I've decided to get the whale blade. I will use it for gardening, so it's going to have a handle in it.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

RedRunner wrote:A folder would make this one wild knife! I have a folding limb saw and a paratrooper machete - both with large oversized handles. I like them because they are easy to carry, smaller than a Fixed blade.

I've decided to get the whale blade. I will use it for gardening, so it's going to have a handle in it.
a folding saw was exactly what i was going to use for reference. i bet if i looked hard enough, i could find a folding saw of the same length. With any luck and a fair bit of grinding, I bet I could make the whale rescue blade fit in its handle. If that will not work, I will fabricate the whole thing. Im serious though, I intend to do this. Also, I will probably grind off the safety tip, and make it look more like a huge civilian!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

I will trim the tang, and put a deployment Spyder hole in it as well. one can see exactly where it would go.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Spydie hole could easily go in the center of the safety tip with no loss of function. It is good to see the creative juices already engaged in this thread.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'm probably going to make a fixie machete from one.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
tikkidaddy
Location: marietta sc...but im not sure if its on earth though!!

Post by tikkidaddy »

Always wondered about a whale rescue knife made in japan, of all places!! Just sayin...
"I hate the thought of killing anything, its the last thing I would advise, but as a matter of survival, all creatures are fair game."-- Les Stroud.

I wonder if spyders feel that way too??--mark.
Captron

Post by Captron »

The Deacon wrote:Chuck, aside from the ten years or so before I moved down here, I've been a homeowner most of my life, not to mention a model builder and tinkerer. So I've used quite a wide variety of saws, from jeweler's to chain. I totally agree that pole mounted tools have their place. In fact, my kite retrieval suggestion was based on doing just that in my younger days with a slipjoint, electrical tape, and a "cane" fishing pole.

Assuming that report is correct, then possibly, but not necessarily. Spyderco is importing H-1 for the Autonomy, so they could be doing the same for the Whale Rescue Blade.
I fish in Mointerey Bay and Half Moon Bay. I would consider getting one as it would be an excellent blade to attach to a poll and used to cut crab line away from a prop. Carry a Spyderhawk H1 SE.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Bill1170 wrote:Spydie hole could easily go in the center of the safety tip with no loss of function. It is good to see the creative juices already engaged in this thread.
Dont know how long your thumb is, but dont think I could reach the tip with mine :D . I was thinking of putting it where it should work as any folder, adjacent to the top hole in the tang, which will become the pivot. besides, thats where the bug is! (although I support moving it since I plan on grinding that part off)
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

tikkidaddy wrote:Always wondered about a whale rescue knife made in japan, of all places!! Just sayin...
I know right!!!! I wouldnt doubt it if there were a worker or two in the factory that will be taking a break from making whale rescue blades, to take a bite of his whale sandwhich or however you eat it. Dont let the sea shepherds hear about this, or you could have them show up at the S.F.O. throwing jars of rotting butter at the building from the top of a black RV or something.
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

Captron wrote:I fish in Mointerey Bay and Half Moon Bay.
Those are some great places. I've spent a good amount of time in both locals. I envy you!
Spydie-50

Post by Spydie-50 »

This knife would be very usefull in Hawaii. With all the commercial fishing lines and nets that clutter our reefs and shores and pose a threat to the environment I think this knife would be very useful.

Also with all the debris coming from the Japan tsunami there might be a use for it in helping with the clean up of that in the near future.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

DCDesigns wrote:Dont know how long your thumb is, but dont think I could reach the tip with mine :D . I was thinking of putting it where it should work as any folder, adjacent to the top hole in the tang, which will become the pivot. besides, thats where the bug is! (although I support moving it since I plan on grinding that part off)
You were thinking opening hole; I was thinking trademark hole. I get it.

That said, I doubt many end users will make the Whale Rescue Blade into a folder because making a folder that locks open is so much more difficult than simply putting a handle onto a blade with a tang. They even drilled the holes for us already. I cannot see this as a good candidate for a slipjoint.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Bill1170 wrote:You were thinking opening hole; I was thinking trademark hole. I get it.

That said, I doubt many end users will make the Whale Rescue Blade into a folder because making a folder that locks open is so much more difficult than simply putting a handle onto a blade with a tang. They even drilled the holes for us already. I cannot see this as a good candidate for a slipjoint.
lol, twas a joke. I might not do it either I will have to see what it will take.