South Fork Photos and Impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eloreno

Post by eloreno »

Mick wrote:I love the knife but for the price I wish they would have included a nice leather sheath.
The sheath as is fits perfectly with the knife. After all, it's a Phil Wilson collab, and Phil Wilson knives come with kydex. If only it was tan colored.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Photo after the rope cutting stage. :)

slick228

Post by slick228 »

Ankerson wrote:The blade shape was changed slightly.
Can you please let us know if there is a difference in performance between the custom and the Spyderco version?

:spyder:
Spyderco knife collector on a “Q” quest! :spyder: Any assistance will be greatly appreciated! :D
WTC #1520
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

slick228 wrote:Can you please let us know if there is a difference in performance between the custom and the Spyderco version?

My Custom isn't S90V. ;)

It's also 3+ times thinner behind the edge and in a different steel and about 4 HRC harder.

So yes there will be a difference.

Apples and oranges.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

In the middle of the cardboard stage and all I will say at this point is people don't want to miss this knife. :spyder:

It's doing that well. :cool:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I will say it takes more design and thought to create a knife with ergonomics that allow you to do that much cutting. The Steel part is a bit easier in my opinion. If you have a knife with the best steel but it grinds your hands into hamburger when using it it's less than worthless.

The real beauty is more than just numbers . That's my opinion after over 40 years of knife use. I couldn't imagine anyone complaining about Phil's design. It seems to guide the hand to the correct spot and help keep it there. That impresses me more than S90V. I have XXL hands but it fits medium size hands as well. That's what I call artistry. It looks much more of a simple design than it actually is, but it works simple. From my experience with Phil's knives anyway.

It looks like a very good production version of one of Phil's knives. I was thinking it might help satisfy demand and allow Phil more fishing time but it might just do the opposite too.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:I will say it takes more design and thought to create a knife with ergonomics that allow you to do that much cutting. The Steel part is a bit easier in my opinion. If you have a knife with the best steel but it grinds your hands into hamburger when using it it's less than worthless.

The real beauty is more than just numbers . That's my opinion after over 40 years of knife use. I couldn't imagine anyone complaining about Phil's design. It seems to guide the hand to the correct spot and help keep it there. That impresses me more than S90V. I have XXL hands but it fits medium size hands as well. That's what I call artistry. It looks much more of a simple design than it actually is, but it works simple. From my experience with Phil's knives anyway.

It looks like a very good production version of one of Phil's knives. I was thinking it might help satisfy demand and allow Phil more fishing time but it might just do the opposite too.

Joe
Phil just went fishing again so it's working. :D
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

What a beauty.

I'll never be able to afford one >_>
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

That is a must have.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

HotSoup wrote:What a beauty.

I'll never be able to afford one >_>
You can't afford NOT to buy one!

I don't know what that means, exactly. But it sure is a nice knife.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Ankerson, thanks for the review. I was on the fence about this knife until I read this a few days ago. Mine arrived today and man i'm impressed, you really have to handle this knife to appreciate it. Mine has only killed some marauding potatoes so far but it did so without prejudice. :D
Dan
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

OldSarSwmr wrote:Ankerson, thanks for the review. I was on the fence about this knife until I read this a few days ago. Mine arrived today and man i'm impressed, you really have to handle this knife to appreciate it. Mine has only killed some marauding potatoes so far but it did so without prejudice. :D
Glad you are enjoying it. :D
MCM

Post by MCM »

My pair came from KW today.
Great knife, just like the protos I have seen at the shows.
Thanks to all involved, ;)

Wanted to add, the sheath on this knife is amazing. The high carry and light weight make it one of the best / most comfortable ones I own. Super secure fit, no rattles & a nice release.
This is really a custom type set up. A+ on this knife sheath combo.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Got mine from Jim Howe today! Very impressive, awsome finish.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MCM wrote:My pair came from KW today.
Great knife, just like the protos I have seen at the shows.
Thanks to all involved, ;)

Wanted to add, the sheath on this knife is amazing. The high carry and light weight make it one of the best / most comfortable ones I own. Super secure fit, no rattles & a nice release.
This is really a custom type set up. A+ on this knife sheath combo.
They are nice aren't they. :D
eidah

Post by eidah »

Got mine and its beautiful.

I am a little disappointed because its thick behind the edge for what this knife is.

Why was it made too thick behind the cutting edge? is it because s90v is hard and might chip if it was ground thinner? I thought its gonna be a laser.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

eidah wrote:Got mine and its beautiful.

I am a little disappointed because its thick behind the edge for what this knife is.

Why was it made too thick behind the cutting edge? is it because s90v is hard and might chip if it was ground thinner? I thought its gonna be a laser.

It's thin for a general use production knife.

Going really thin could be a problem and not because of the steel so they went on the side of caution.

The next step up in performance would be one of Phil's knives. :)

Here is the performance testing: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... mance-Test