Importance of grammar, spelling, consideration, and coherence in forum posts??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

David Lowry wrote:The problem is, if you truly feel like this you limit yourself to what kind of replies you will get. I will not reply to someone who cannot even make a simple sentence or use punctuation.

Also, "paycheck" is one word. ;)

i can only post what i say & i cant make anyone post a reply, if it really comes down to that..... it is what it is, truth be told we are all here because we love these awesome knives spyderco produces.

to tell the truth im usually drunk posting or on my iphone, so i usually dont care about certain stuff.

if this was a business email/post it would be different.

i guess id like to think this forum wouldnt come down to people calling out other peoples typing skills but it is ????? should come down to the knives and knowledge.

either way im fine.

check my signature!!!!! fyi its 2am and im wasted lol
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Thanks to all who took the time and thought to reply to my query. Most of what was stated makes a lot of sense and has increased my understanding of communication in this virtual place :)

We all have different experience levels communicating only with words on a page. These differering levels don't make anyone "better" or "worse" and in no way values or devalues the thoughts that are being shared. We are all equal here :) No matter where we come from :)

Thanks folks for being part of such an enjoyable group :) Increasing understanding is always positive :)

I will say it's been enlightening at how much is read between the lines ;)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I generally am not as concerned about grammar and spelling as long as the general thought is understandable. What bothers me more is, poor spelling, grammar and sentence structure when the OP is looking for answers to common questions.

I guess my point is, being lazy is no excuse. Use of the search function would eliminate a great number of these questionable threads
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

phillipsted wrote:The folks at Cambridge University say that humans can "error correct" an amazing amount of inaccuracies and still discern the content. Check out the following scrambled paragraph (some of you may have seen this before):

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

TedP
I hate bad spelling, etc., but that was amazing... I read it so fast I couldn't believe it! What the heck?

- best wishes, Jazz.
casey1

Post by casey1 »

there is a difference between proper grammar and colloquially acceptable language. This is not an English paper, but it should contain understandable thoughts arranged in an organized manner. Allow for the misuse of you're, your, and yore; their, they're, and there; etc. What is important is that the thought is communicated effectively. If you let misspelling on the internet annoy you, you have a pretty nice life. They're our bigger problems out their :)
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

As long as it's readable it's alright. I mean, I'm pretty sure not all members speak english as their first language- technically, english is my second language. So as long as the individual's making an attempt to be coherent, it works. One thing that really disturbs me is when someone types a huge amount, and there's no indentations or line skipping. I just get lost in there and end up skipping the whole block. And for those who get too worked up over all this... don't argue with a guy with a sharp knife :D
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

RIOT wrote:i can only post what i say & i cant make anyone post a reply, if it really comes down to that..... it is what it is, truth be told we are all here because we love these awesome knives spyderco produces.

to tell the truth im usually drunk posting or on my iphone, so i usually dont care about certain stuff.

if this was a business email/post it would be different.

i guess id like to think this forum wouldnt come down to people calling out other peoples typing skills but it is ????? should come down to the knives and knowledge.

either way im fine.

check my signature!!!!! fyi its 2am and im wasted lol
This explains a lot. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

phillipsted wrote:The folks at Cambridge University say that humans can "error correct" an amazing amount of inaccuracies and still discern the content. Check out the following scrambled paragraph (some of you may have seen this before):

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

TedP
LOL, Ted! Good stuff. Of course, being a home-teached kid (K-12), I had no trouble reading that. :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Having some cohesion to your posts and an attempt at grammar does two things:

* Better translates your thoughts: Relevant responses, less arguments, less typing for more impact
* Helps people take you serious: Like it or not grievous spelling errors if constantly present make people think you are young, a troll, or simply don't care.

There is some legalism and petulance on the internet. People love to grief one another just for the sake of doing so. If you treat it as a mature medium it will increase your typing speed/accuracy and help you in other areas. Writing business emails, papers, etc.

If you blast out posts as if you don't care it's likely your important emails and letters will be marginal as well. Tendencies are difficult to break and while the forum crowd doesn't care the big client just might be annoyingly superficial.
Holland

Post by Holland »

phillipsted wrote:Image
this just made my day lol
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote: * Helps people take you seriously:
;)

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

kbuzbee wrote: ;)

Ken
I'm two whisky's in to this Sunday Ken :p . My annotated bibliography will surely follow Monday morning!

Cheers and g'day to you kind sir! :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:I'm two whisky's in to this Sunday Ken :p .
Lucky you! As I mentioned in Tony's ode to bacon, we're doing the diet thing. No rum in my glass tonight.....
Blerv wrote:Cheers and g'day to you kind sir! :)
And to you. Hoist one and think of me, brother!

Ken
玉鋼
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'm just going to say that America is really the only modern trade country for which people need not even be fluent in one language to prosper. I'm moderately illiterate by mental defect, but that's not an excuse to be less than fluent in my native tongue. Writing is core to fluency.

I do not like hanzi-based script for the reason that it limits people based upon literacy. East Asian literacy is a far different process, and self-selects societal stratification. We have less than 1/400th the characters of Mandarin, so there's no excuse as far as I'm concerned.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
BAL

Post by BAL »

Pinetreebbs wrote:We dont need no thought control
That sounds like dark sarcasm.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I prepare and check many legal documents in my work that will get recorded with various
County recorders. Accuracy including spelling, sentence structure and content are very
important.

However, I don't really mind seeing minor errors in this forum. Many only have limited time
to respond and address comments or questions from others. The content of the post is probably
more important and even then we aren't trying to solve world issues. Life is tough and I try to
see the world though a more humerous viewpoint.

It is also hard to see the written word composed in a sentence and understand exactly what the
writer is trying to convey. As an example, emotions and sarcasm can be misinterpreted.

As long as I can understand the post and someone doesn't call me worthless, then all is good.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

BAL wrote:I prepare and check many legal documents in my work that will get recorded with various
County recorders. Accuracy including spelling, sentence structure and content are very
important.

However, I don't really mind seeing minor errors in this forum. Many only have limited time
to respond and address comments or questions from others. The content of the post is probably
more important and even then we aren't trying to solve world issues. Life is tough and I try to
see the world though a more humerous viewpoint.

It is also hard to see the written word composed in a sentence and understand exactly what the
writer is trying to convey. As an example, emotions and sarcasm can be misinterpreted.

As long as I can understand the post and someone doesn't call me worthless, then all is good.
Huh?

LOL, joking. :D
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

v8r wrote:We don't need no education.
Pinetreebbs wrote:We dont need no thought control
BAL wrote:That sounds like deep sarcasm.
Perhaps, :D It's actually a reference to a Pink Floyd song,"Another Brick in the Wall" Part 2, "Education" in response to v8r's post.

[INDENT](british kids)
We don’t need no education
We don’t need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the class room
Teachers leave those kids alone
(yells) Hey, teachers! Leave those kids alone!

[/INDENT]
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thank you for the thread. I read upto the post which had gibberish and gave up. I did try google translate to unravel the meaning but even google drew a blank.

I am just kidding.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Pinetreebbs wrote:Perhaps, :D It's actually a reference to a Pink Floyd song,"Another Brick in the Wall" Part 2, "Education" in response to v8r's post.

[INDENT](british kids)
We don’t need no education
We don’t need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the class room
Teachers leave those kids alone
(yells) Hey, teachers! Leave those kids alone!

[/INDENT]
Hehehe. I got in trouble over sneaking into the sound room and playing "The Wall" over the PA system back in my high school days. :D