Spyderco prices are pushing me right out of my hobby.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

We had a fairly heated thread running a year or so ago about Spyderco not producing enough Sprints and enough exotics (steel, scales, etc.) It's passed but one of the predictions made was that if Spyderco increased the Sprints & Exotics, it would come at the cost of more reasonably priced knives and honestly while the Sprints and Exotics are awesome (really awesome actually), their "normal" production knives at incredibly reasonable prices are amazing. I think if we didn't have so many Sprints and Exotics we'd be raving about our S30V steel & G-10 scales. That's a nice knife and only marginally less in function (if any) than our really amazing exotics.

So it doesn't surprise me that we now have a threat discussing the higher prices of Spydercos (as a whole). I notice it with my checkbook, but I also see one amazing collection building, albeit I'm having trouble keeping up now. Like everything else, the pendulum swings and with Spyderco, I don't think it swings too far right or left. It's a well run, balanced company. But I wouldn't be surprised if we see a slight reduction in exotics in the coming year. Nothing too worry about, I'm sure. I'm comfortable on either end of the range of this pendulum.
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

Couldn't agree more. Their service has always been top notch for me!
Member of the LH Military Club

My Spydies - Military Lefty, Endura 4 PE, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Chaparal, Bolstered Manbug, Nishijin Cricket Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

David Lowry wrote:RIOT, I'm sorta starting to feel the same way. I'm not so worried or "frustrated" any more about Spyderco pricing. This thread, and 11 pages of reading different views and opinions has made me realize that they are doing pretty **** good already. Granted, some of the stuff I think is unneeded, but that's a given. Can't always please everyone.
I agree 100% Though unfortunately only for online prices.. I'm just glad the Paramiliary 2 is my favorite model. It isn't too expensive :D
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I suppose that since I have my GB and a back up GB, and a M390 Military, and a back up M390 MIlitary..I don't really need to ever buy another Spyderco.
I certainly don't need to collect...so yes. I agree, their pricing and the models are all fine. I am just going to have to be extra choosy about what I buy. I'll buy new models that really fit me and my needs and that is all. In the long run probably a lot smarter and will be for sure a lot easier on the bank account! :D
On the hunt for...
jossta

Post by jossta »

I think it's a good point that Spyderco's models have shifted their average price in the wrong direction for a lot of people, but I feel like it's just them reacting to the desires of the knife community. I mean, they have a good amount of staple products that are very reasonably priced, but that's not exactly what the knife community is looking for in a cutting edge manufacturer.

There was a time when an $85 knife in S30v and Carbon fiber would have been enough to make the company look impressive, but that time passed a while ago IMHO. With all the advances in materials and designs and pushing the envelope anyway they can, the things we've been asking for have driven the price up. I mean, I think the lowest MSRP of any of the knives ZT introduced this year at Blade was $425 and going all the way up to $599.

I don't think the issue is that the prices have gone up, I think it's that what we want just costs more. The exchange rate isn't exactly helping us either.

Personally, I hope Spyderco continues to do this. I mean, how many variations of FRN and VG10 or G10 and S30v do we really need? They have a solid lineup of bread and butter models, so I enjoy seeing what other kinds of goodies they can come up with. Part of the reason I support/love Spyderco is their innovation and dedication to function over form and that doesn't always come cheap. Although it doesn't always have to come expensive either.

I do wish they they would have more of the niche models like the South Fork/Tuff/Southard made in the USA, just from a pride of ownership stand point. I don't have a problem dropping $240 on a Taiwanese made Spyderco and I plan to on the Southard, but I would be a lot more proud to carry a $285 knife made in the USA.

Anyway, I'm glad Sal's listening (as always), but I don't think they're doing anything wrong :) .
dialex

Post by dialex »

David Lowry wrote:...The Spyderco Tuff looks freakin' awesome. Not for $240. If I'm spending that kind of paper I'll throw down another $100 and get a Sebenza that's made in the USA.
What does the Sebeza do and the Tuff doesn't? :confused:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
lbwheat

Post by lbwheat »

I would rather that prices are raised rather than cut quality to keep prices down.
Johann

Post by Johann »

dialex wrote:What does the Sebeza do and the Tuff doesn't? :confused:
Streamlines your wallet real nice.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

See below. I posted this after my original post and don't feel this way any more.
David Lowry wrote:RIOT, I'm sorta starting to feel the same way. I'm not so worried or "frustrated" any more about Spyderco pricing. This thread, and 11 pages of reading different views and opinions has made me realize that they are doing pretty **** good already. Granted, some of the stuff I think is unneeded, but that's a given. Can't always please everyone.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
jossta

Post by jossta »

Sebenza doesn't burn my eyes to look at it for one...

Although I don't really want either ;) .
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

jossta wrote:sebenza doesn't burn my eyes to look at it for one...

Although i don't really want either ;) .
lol.

My Spydies - Military Lefty, Endura 4 PE, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Chaparal, Bolstered Manbug, Nishijin Cricket Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jossta wrote:Sebenza doesn't burn my eyes to look at it for one...
What does that mean? ;)

Ken
玉鋼
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

So far, I haven't really looked at the $200 and up Spydercos.

That's probably because I still don't see a lot of asthetic beauty in any of them. I did see a Delica yesterday with custom wood handles that was a real beaut.

But the six Spydies I have now are beautiful things to hold and use. The way they look just isn't that important to me. All the threads I read tell me the more expensive models look better, but cut pretty much the same. So I'm happy with my Delicas, Enduras, and military.

In fact, if I had bought the FFG Delica and Endura first, I'd only have one each now. I would not have bought the Sabre Grinds (partially serrated) if I already had the FFGs. If I find I don't use them, I'll probably sell them. The one in my pocket or toolbox is worth much more than the ones in a drawer.

I guess what I'm saying is Spyderco has a very good lineup under $150 for those that can't afford the more expensive models. We can't all afford a Ferrari, but that doesn't mean Ferrari doesn't care about their customers.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
sal

Post by sal »

Interesting thread and we appreciate all of the comments. There are very few people that can afford to but all of the models that we produce. Especially when one considers the new "exclusive" designs that some distributors and dealers are requesting. We try to service a broad range of customers from exotic to affordable.

We continue to grow our Golden facility on a steady basis, but it is unlikely that we'll stop working with our overseas makers. Their skill is exceptional, as is their attention to quality and loyalty to Spyderco and our customers.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jossta wrote:Sebenza doesn't burn my eyes to look at it for one...

Although I don't really want either ;) .
Once the knife releases I would stay away from the magazine rack for a while. I predict it will be on a couple covers. :)
jossta

Post by jossta »

I wouldn't be be surprised. Theoretically it's a great knife. I love the idea behind it and after handling it, I can definitely say it's worth the price and Tuff, but ****...
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Jossta! But i agree with that you aren't saying about the Tuff. While no doubt it is a highly capable tool that will have wide acceptance...it's just not my cup of tea.

Sal, As always it's good to see that you keep an eye on threads like this, but please realize that all of the off handed complaints about price have nothing to do with your products, but the fact that we knifenuts can never be satisfied with what we have, and what we have is never what we want!

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mwalle,

We try to stay on top of knife design and production, but we also try to stay on top of our customer's positives and issues. We just need to know or we can't do a good job.

We're also about values. My avatar is a totem for values. "Gotta do's" have to come before "wanna do's". Priorities are important. Family, home, work, responsibility all must come before personal interests. Some things are just beyond your financial reach. :eek: You can still appreciate their existence, look at them, talk about them, etc. No Aston Martin in my future, but I can still enjoy what they have created and accomplished.

sal
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

sal wrote:Hi Mwalle,

We try to stay on top of knife design and production, but we also try to stay on top of our customer's positives and issues. We just need to know or we can't do a good job.

We're also about values. My avatar is a totem for values. "Gotta do's" have to come before "wanna do's". Priorities are important. Family, home, work, responsibility all must come before personal interests. Some things are just beyond your financial reach. :eek: You can still appreciate their existence, look at them, talk about them, etc. No Aston Martin in my future, but I can still enjoy what they have created and accomplished.

sal
Well put, as always.
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Mr. Glesser, if you need an Aston Martin I can help... just sayin'. :D
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...