Most Abused Spyderco ever?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwa

Most Abused Spyderco ever?

Post by spyderwa »

Recently I was asked to assign values to a knife collection in an estate. When the knives finally arrived the majority were broken Old Timer knives and similar with no real value other than spare parts. There was one oddball knife in the bunch that caught my eye. This is the most abused Spyderco that I have ever found that was still functioning as a knife. Looks like a Calypso model that has been through the apocalypse. The only history that I could pick up was that the elderly gentleman that owned the knives was known to be "hard" on things. Lockup is tight with zero play in the blade. The pivot is very smooth as well. I just thought you might want to ponder what happened to this poor knife. Enjoy.

spyderwa

Rare and Unusual Spyderco Website
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
Attachments
2012-7-1 Abused Spyderco Calypso 011sm.jpg
2012-7-1 Abused Spyderco Calypso 014sm.jpg
2012-7-1 Abused Spyderco Calypso 004sm.jpg
2012-7-1 Abused Spyderco Calypso 017sm.jpg
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

Yikes! I cried a little! Well..at least the knife was used as it was intended rather than it sit and "rot" in a safe. :D
Arnis Student

Post by Arnis Student »

Wow. It looks like it lived in a grinder.
:spyder: Tenacious, Resilience, Manix 2, Para Military 2 :spyder:

Dreaming of a Military, Massad Ayoob, Lion Spy, Yojimbo 2, Szabo Folder :rolleyes:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I recall being a broke boy on a farm expected to do my chores with a knife much worse off than that. Excuses weren't offered as they made situations worse and people angry. I suppose it's one reason I'm not one to really let them look as bad now. I always keep mine sanded down of rust, oiled up and clean no matter what. Believe me, as a kid I would have loved a knife that had that much life left in it.

Heck, It's just getting started. :)

A bit of work to clean it up and it'll do fine.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The primary purpose of the Spyderhole is not one hand opening, but to gauge how much life the blade has left... Once the edge reaches the hole, its finished. :D

This one still have a few years to go! :rolleyes:
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Splice

Post by Splice »

Clean it up!
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Is that a forced patina?

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
nullity

Post by nullity »

Eeek!

I dunno how to feel about the condition of that knife.

****, if the user got good use out of it, who am I to tell them they used or sharpened it "wrong".
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Cool! Those wharncliffe conversions have become very chic.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
spyderwa

Post by spyderwa »

I ended up buying this from the estate so I could "retire" it. It will have a good home to rest in. In my travels in the knife world I often see knives that have shared sharpening time with Arkansas whetstones and assorted motorized grinders. The more I see the carnage, the more I appreciate the Spyderco Sharpmaker for not taking off more than is necessary and not scuffing up the blade. I think for some folk whetstone sharpening seems to have therapeutic value, (for the person, not the knife).
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

Brock O Lee wrote:The primary purpose of the Spyderhole is not one hand opening, but to gauge how much life the blade has left... Once the edge reaches the hole, its finished. :D

This one still have a few years to go! :rolleyes:
+1 :)

Thats just messed up that he abused such a nice knife as that!
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

"If his unpleasant wounding has in some way enlightened the rest of you as to the grim finish beneath the glossy veneer of working life and inspired you to change your ways, then his injuries carry with it an inherent nobility, and a supreme glory. We should all be so fortunate. You say poor Calypso Jr? I say poor us." :D
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
paladin

Post by paladin »

Tod and Brock O Lee...too funny...Bob Newhart would be proud of your deadpan sense of humor...thanks for making me laugh out loud!!!
Buddha UK

Post by Buddha UK »

Thanks for sharing these pics! Bet that little Spydie could tell some stories. Built to last! :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is why we don't use bench grinders to sharpen knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

That isn't abused, it is simply used extensively and worn from sharpening. You have to remember that guy wasn't a collector, he simply used the knife and kept it sharp. It is very common here to see knives which look like that, as an example :

See the heavy recurve in the top blade and the hint in the second one. These are knives used by a family of tradespeople. They will stay in the kitchen, then go out to fillet/split/tongue fish, then go in the garden, and then in the shop for utility work. Even with this use they still usually last more than one generation.

These people don't have a pile of knives that get rotated and they don't hesitate to use knives as they buy them for that reason.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was referencing the heavy grind marks all over the side of the blade...unless someone did a DIY regrind when the blade got thick behind the edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Evil D wrote:This is why we don't use bench grinders to sharpen knives.
correction...only if the bench grinder has the paper wheels, then its OK :p
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

paladin wrote:Tod and Brock O Lee...too funny...Bob Newhart would be proud of your deadpan sense of humor...thanks for making me laugh out loud!!!
Humor?? What is this humor of which you speak, stranger?

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.