South Fork Photos and Impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

South Fork Photos and Impressions

Post by Ankerson »

This is a long overdue Phil Wilson + Spyderco Collaboration.

OAL - 9.5"
Blade length - 4 7/8"
Handle - 4 3/4"
Blade thickness - .120"
Thickness behind the edge - .020.
Weight - 5.4 oz
Blade Steel - CPM S90V
Handle Material - G10

The Sheath is really nice and adjustable for different carry positions.

Nice clean lines as you can see, and highly optimized design for cutting and slicing.

With Phil Wilson Custom.

Fit and finish is excellent and really does this model justice, they really did a nice job on this model. I am sure Phil Wilson will be very happy with how this model turned out. A big thumbs up to Sal and Spyderco for bringing this awesome knife to market.

Full review and performance testing to follow.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks Jim. Looking forward to more :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:Thanks Jim. Looking forward to more :)

Thanks. :)

Lots of work to do testing this one. :D
eloreno

Post by eloreno »

I agree, this knife is just awesome. Great pics, and I look forward to the results of your testing!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Looks very nice. The factory sheath also looks much better than usual, more refined.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

eloreno wrote:I agree, this knife is just awesome. Great pics, and I look forward to the results of your testing!
It has no idea what it going to go through, but it will once I get started. :D

Going to put it through my full battery of testing just like I did with Phil's knives.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Yeah! Thanks Ankerson for putting up these pics. What a wonderfull knife and what special company to bring it to the market with that awsom CMPS90V, who else does that.... ????? Spyderco is truly a premium knife company. Despit of what those say that feel driven out of a hobby (of all things)... I liked this knife from the first publication of info and pictures and I feel that this knife is very much a professional cuttig tool. I am already lookig forward to what your testing will show.
Thanks for your effort
Cheers, Jurphaas. :)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

Thanks for the detailed pics and comparison. Also looking forward to your test and the results!
Mick

Post by Mick »

I love the knife but for the price I wish they would have included a nice leather sheath.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mick wrote:I love the knife but for the price I wish they would have included a nice leather sheath.
Good leather sheaths are expensive and would have added quite a bit to the price.

I have had more than a few sheaths made and they aren't cheap, not good ones anyway.
slick228

Post by slick228 »

Based on the pictures, it appears that the blade shape is slightly different between the custom and the Spyderco version. The Spyderco version has more belly.

:spyder:
Spyderco knife collector on a “Q” quest! :spyder: Any assistance will be greatly appreciated! :D
WTC #1520
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

slick228 wrote:Based on the pictures, it appears that the blade shape is slightly different between the custom and the Spyderco version. The Spyderco version has more belly.

:spyder:

The blade shape was changed slightly.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Ankerson wrote:It has no idea what it going to go through, but it will once I get started. :D

Going to put it through my full battery of testing just like I did with Phil's knives.

Care to make a prediction Jim? :D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I will. :)

It'll come in between the best production knives and the full custom stuff. It's going to out cut most everything production now on the market, but it's not going to get into the rarefied air of the Phil Wilson Custom fully hard, thinner K294 or S110V blades Jim has. There's a little matter of higher carbide steels run 6 points harder with thinner geometries. Can't get around that. It should keep up with any production knife on the market though.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Mastiff wrote:I will. :)

It'll come in between the best production knives and the full custom stuff. It's going to out cut most everything production now on the market, but it's not going to get into the rarefied air of the Phil Wilson Custom fully hard, thinner K294 or S110V blades Jim has. There's a little matter of higher carbide steels run 6 points harder with thinner geometries. Can't get around that. It should keep up with any production knife on the market though.

Joe
That's pretty impressive. Thanks Joe. A taste of things to come. :D

Post by 224477 »

Looks like a hellluwa cutter. I think it would work for fighting too, the knife looks to be fast in hand.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I've found my next purchase after I buy my second M390 Millie. They should have some in stock in a bit
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'd love to see that model in a carbon steel. As it is, it's still very tempting.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:I will. :)

Joe

In the middle of the rope cutting stage now, it's doing very well. :spyder:
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

keep us posted ankerson!!!