it's about that time

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

it's about that time

Post by casey1 »

The Sage 4 has been well-received into the Sage family. This means that the new Sage is to be conceived soon, correct? Is there any further speculation on the lock type? Last I heard, they were determining between 3 locks, but had not chosen yet. Is that still the case? I'm hoping the newest sage isn't as expensive as the most recent one.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

casey1 wrote:The Sage 4 has been well-received into the Sage family. This means that the new Sage is to be conceived soon, correct? Is there any further speculation on the lock type? Last I heard, they were determining between 3 locks, but had not chosen yet. Is that still the case? I'm hoping the newest sage isn't as expensive as the most recent one.
It will be if they use hardwood and titanium. If they use gold and alpaca fur...watch out!

I'm just kidding Spyderco. Gimme my fuzzy bling Sage ! :D
casey1

Post by casey1 »

then we will hear of strength tests of the fur and learn to what extent it can be polished... will the clip holes drill into the fur alone or the liner behind it? Because that could be a PROBLEM.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

casey1 wrote:then we will hear of strength tests of the fur and learn to what extent it can be polished... will the clip holes drill into the fur alone or the liner behind it? Because that could be a PROBLEM.
Haha! yea no spine-whacking alpacas. PETA would be all over that one.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Does anyone remember what different lock types were going to be used?

I figure we have had:

Liner lock
Frame Lock
Bolt Lock
Back Lock

What may be next:

Ball Lock
Compression Lock
Button Lock?
Tri-Ad Lock?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Could be wrong, but my guess is that it will probably a lock that can be attributed to another knifemaker, on which the patent has already expired.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

David Lowry wrote:Does anyone remember what different lock types were going to be used?

I figure we have had:

Liner lock
Frame Lock
Bolt Lock
Back Lock

What may be next:

Ball Lock
Compression Lock
Button Lock?
Tri-Ad Lock?
I think the Tri-Ad is a Cold Steel design and Spyderco can't use it. Could be wrong. The back lock on the Sage4 has a post on the tang that travels in a groove in each liner and when the blade is locked the post rests against the liner at the end of the groove. This (I think) is supposed to reduce or eliminated vertical blade play developing over time which back locks are prone to by design. That's my understanding so again I could be wrong. The post probably has a similar effect on the knife as the stop pin in the Tri-ad lock. It may transfer force against the edge when cutting to more of the handle (both liners) than just against the lock bar. That's me thinking, NOT anything I've read from Spyderco or anyone else. My Sage4 doesn't have any blade play, horizontal or vertical at all which makes me very happy. I hate blade play in folding knives.

Jack
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't see an Axis or Tri-Ad lock in any Spyderco for a very long time. It would have to be a collaboration and like a Chevy LS9 powered Mustang I wouldn't be holding my breath.

There are enough makers who have passed away after contributing to the modern folding knife world that current ones don't seem in the spirit of the Sage line.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I wonder if they will do a Paul lock. No pun intended Paul (Deacon). :)

Now I need to go look up some knife locks. :cool:
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

David Lowry wrote:I wonder if they will do a Paul lock. No pun intended Paul (Deacon). :)

Now I need to go look up some knife locks. :cool:
None taken, David. :) The Paul lock is certainly one possibility, if not for Sage V, for some future Sage version. Pat Crawford's "Crawford Lock" is another. Am sure there are more. Then too, Sal could always surprise us and use an in-house lock design. Given his comment a few years back that the only Spyderco lock he was not certain would fit was the ball bearing lock, the idea seems to have been given at least a bit of thought in Golden. I know there are more than a few here who'd love to see the compression lock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!