Why carry a Spyderco knife on your key ring?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Why carry a knife on with your keys?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:43 am

Keys are always with me even when I forget my favorite EDC knife.
52%
I only need a small knife and it won't get lost on my keys.
6%
Easy to get to when I'm behind the wheel and not moving.
6%
Other
37%

Total votes: 71

Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I just gave a serrated Ladybug to my wife for his birthday. It could be a lifesaver. It's light enough that she will actually carry it.
Sonny
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I just like having cool stuff on my key chain. ****, my key chain is a full size Black Diamond Positron locking carabiner.

I might even have a picture... Yup;

Hardly streamlined, lol.
mcjhrobinson

Post by mcjhrobinson »

nothing goes on my keyring except keys i dont like a bunch of stuff and i clip my keys to biner on my belt loop. always have a knife in my pocket (clipped) never had any issues reaching it. i do carry an other knife in my pocket: SAK alox cadet...dont even know its there.
every man is a variation of yourself. :spyder:
computernut

Post by computernut »

I keep a SAK Midnite Manager on my keychain as it gives me a light, a knife, and a pen as a backup to the full-size ones I always carry, plus it has a small phillips screwdriver and scissors too:

ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I selected option "Other" because I like to put my keys on my Cricket so they hang in my pocket. It is easy to get my keys out as well as my knife out. It is super handy, and I can not remember the last time I went anywhere off the property without at least one key ring. The house keys are on the CF SE Cricket, and the car keys are on the FRN PE Cricket. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kev-Man

Post by Kev-Man »

I voted other. I have a ladybug, photon light and truck key on a ring. Although it is true that I will have the ladybug even if I forget my edc since it is attached to my truck key and I usually can't leave home with out my truck, its just there as a small non-menacing looking knife I can cut stuff with or use as a toothpick. I have a second key chain I keep cliped to my belt loop with the rest of my work and home keys.

Kev.
cesar

Post by cesar »

I also don't like to carry a full size knife in my keyring. I use there a Victorinox Mini Champ, but just to cut nails on the road. My Manix 2 are in my pocket. Curious, I always remember to take Manix 2 with me, but many times I forget the keyring. I carry many keys and I will not agree in convert my best knife into a key remembering device!
:spyder: This is my faithful everyday companion since 2010: Manix 2 Guetto Wave :spyder:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I don't carry a small Spyderco on my keychain....I find folders not to.... user friendly on a key chain, I do carry a knife on a the keychain, not spyderco but a small Damascus Custom FB (the overall size of a Ladybug), it's just easier to pull out the FB from the sheath and away from the keys for use......That being said there is an H1 Ladybug in my watch pocket at all times.....so unless I'm nakid and driving my car no need for one on my keychain.Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Mattexian

Post by Mattexian »

Evil D wrote:I voted other. I have 3 main reasons:

1. It's a backup. It's rare but i have left the house without a knife in my pocket. I never leave without my keys.

2. It's a small people friendly knife. I can't always pull my EDC and use it. I can pull a Ladybug out practically anywhere.

3. It's a smaller/thinner/pointier blade than my primary knife, so it's better suited for fine work. A Military isn't the best splinter picker.
That sums up my rationale too.With #2, it seems like a lot of folks have some type of small knife (like a SAK Classic) on their keyring, so it's not a big deal when someone else does it too. With #1 and 3, since it's not my primary knife, the blade stays sharper longer, so it's ready for the fine work.

Matt in Texas
Recovering BoyScout(TM), now doing GoodTurns(TM) fortnightly!
araneae

Post by araneae »

xceptnl wrote:I chose "Other" for the same reason. If I am wearing pants (even gym shorts or boardshorts at the beach) I have a knife clipped to a pocket. If no pockets exist, it is clipped inside my waistband. If no waistband exists, please find the person who stole my pants because my Spydie was in them!
Me too, can't remember the last time I went out and forgot a knife. It is just a backup that is easy to get to and it weighs so little that I don't mind carrying it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i dont understand the 3 people that voted for behind the wheel usage of a knife on your key ring????

comical but somehow i think that was the point...i hope
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I don't carry a small Spyderco on my keychain....I find folders not to.... user friendly on a key chain, I do carry a knife on a the keychain, not spyderco but a small Damascus Custom FB (the overall size of a Ladybug), it's just easier to pull out the FB from the sheath and away from the keys for use......That being said there is an H1 Ladybug in my watch pocket at all times.....so unless I'm nakid and driving my car no need for one on my keychain.Doc :)
you dont need keychain knives when you have a knife in each shoe, 2 on your thighs, 2 clipped to each pocket, 20 around your waste line and 50 duct taped to your butt
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RIOT wrote:i dont understand the 3 people that voted for behind the wheel usage of a knife on your key ring????

comical but somehow i think that was the point...i hope
Guess you've never been sitting in a parked car with your seatbelt on and needed/wanted to use a knife.

As for me, here's one example. Before I retired, I use to stop at Dunkin Donuts on the way to work almost every morning, pick up a coffee at the drive-thru window, stop for a moment, poke a couple small slits in the lid with the tip of my Jester, and be on my way. The slits gave me access to the coffee, but made it less likely to slosh or splash out when I hit the inevitable unavoidable potholes that made driving in the NY's Capital District such fun than ripping open the tab.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cesar

Post by cesar »

Inspired by this topic I just add a Doug Ritter CRKT small knife to my keychain.

But really curious is that all keychains posted here are carabiners!

Follow my keychain's pic!

[ATTACH]20500[/ATTACH]
Attachments
chaveiro.jpg
:spyder: This is my faithful everyday companion since 2010: Manix 2 Guetto Wave :spyder:
cesar

Post by cesar »

Could someone tell me what kind of flashlight is that on the pic? It is very cool!

Thanks!
Rwb1500 wrote:I just like having cool stuff on my key chain. ****, my key chain is a full size Black Diamond Positron locking carabiner.

I might even have a picture... Yup;

Hardly streamlined, lol.
TBob

Post by TBob »

I have a Spydie Edge FRN Ladybug on my keys. It comes in handy when opening packages, etc. I do occasionally forget an EDC, and the Ladybug covers nicely.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
wvguy8258

Post by wvguy8258 »

What? You don't have a manbug tied off in a balloon and then swallowed? That's deep carry.
My Spydies: Endura, Delica, Cricket, Tasman Salt, Salt 1, Paramilitary 2, Stretch, Manix 2, Manix 2 CTS-XHP