Why I Support Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gdw

Why I Support Spyderco

Post by gdw »

My first Spyderco was an ATS-55 orange rescue. I have taken it on numerous campouts and trips and it is still sharp and rust free with no blade wiggle of any kind and locks open with a very positive click. I have subsequently purchased other Spyderco knives, the latest a marvelous Chokwe. I like and support Spyderco for a number of reasons:

1. Consistent quality product
2. Excellent customer service (I’ve used them before and it’s been great)
3. Sal provides routine personal input, feedback, and advise to its customers – I don’t know of any other production knife company where the owner/CEO does such a thing
4. The forum is clean-cut. In a world/internet filled with bad language and questionable content I can trust my teenage son on this forum without worrying about what someone may say. I’m old fashioned and do not like swearing, naughty language or pictures. I get to the point where I don’t like going to ball games or large public gatherings because of the language used by men AND women (sorry, didn’t mean to be preachy)

There are more knives I am interested (Military, Rock Lobster and a few others – plus some new ones. When I recommend knives to friends or buy them for gifts, it is generally a Spyderco for the above reasons. So good job Spyderco and keep up the good work.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Have to agree on all points. Great products AND people. It's hard to find that marriage in a company these days.

Jack
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

One of the reasons I got into Spyderco knives is how friendly this forum was when I first started reading the threads. Then I bought a Delica and the addiction started...
tvhaugen

Post by tvhaugen »

I really enjoy this forum as well and sure agree with the quality of Spyderco's product and amazing customer care.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Pockets wrote:One of the reasons I got into Spyderco knives is how friendly this forum was when I first started reading the threads. Then I bought a Delica and the addiction started...
+1 (opposite order for me)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Agree with everything you said, the one negative i have with this forum is how expensive it is :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Holland wrote:Agree with everything you said, the one negative i have with this forum is how expensive it is :D
Bah, the pain in the wallet will diminish with time. (That's what I keep telling myself, anyway :D ).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

'nuff said....I love Spyderco!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
mley1

Post by mley1 »

I am new to Spyderco. But in the past couple of months I have been so impressed that I have traded for, or purchased, 12 Spyderco of various models. They range from a cf m390 Millie to a ukpk.

The company, knives, and the people who run it, are all top notch. Its a nice feeling owning a Spyderco, and knowing what the company does for charity. It is impressive to see the continued improvements in the products they make.

I like the fact they have integrity. Something sometimes lacking with other manufacturers.
Thanks,

Marty
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

mley1 wrote:I am new to Spyderco. But in the past couple of months I have been so impressed that I have traded for, or purchased, 12 Spyderco of various models. They range from a cf m390 Millie to a ukpk.

The company, knives, and the people who run it, are all top notch. Its a nice feeling owning a Spyderco, and knowing what the company does for charity. It is impressive to see the continued improvements in the products they make.

I like the fact they have integrity. Something sometimes lacking with other manufacturers.
I agree. I'm happy believing the money I spend on Spyderco products goes to people who deserve it. I wish I had that confidence in the charity organizations out there. I think I'm synical but can't help it.

Keep making new knives Spyderco.

Jack
JD Spydo

I agree

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm finding this thread unbelievably interesting because of the amount of Brothers/Sisters that have chimed in that have less that 100 posts.

I agree with all points you've made and I'm totally with you on big public events>> it's an open sewer anymore with ball games, car races ect, ect,.

I've had the priviledge to meet Mr. Glesser and son Eric on many occasions at knife shows and it's truly a delight chatting with both of them.

My first personal encounter with Sal was when the 204 diamond rods first came out I bought a pair of them immediately ( back around 2002). Well they didn't hold up very well so I took them to the 2002 Blade Show in Atlanta GA USA with me and showed them to Mr. Glesser. He wanted to take them back to the factory to check out why they were defective.

I had my replacements sent to me only about 5 days after I had given him the defective set and I still have and still use the replacement set. And I could give you at least 5 other times I've dealt with Spyderco customer service and have been treated very well.

I've always been a quality driven person. I would rather have one or 2 knives that are quality built than 100 mediocre or bargain basement trash. Spyderco's quality is tops.

Sure I own some knives made by other companies ( not many though) but as soon as Spyderco makes one to replace it I will probably delete it from my footlocker and replace it with a Spyder.

To me they are as close to "custom" as you can get without paying a king's ransom.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I support Spyderco because of the story below. As a company of great people and great products they fulfilled a long time desire of mine.

I AM NOT SELLING KNIVES NOW. I HAVE NONE FOR SALE AND AM NOT TRYING TO SELL ON THE FORUM.

I never wanted to have a collection of knives. All I wanted for many many years was one knife that would stay sharp and feel good to use. I just never decided to spend the money on better quality knives. I soon found out one wouldn’t be enough but still I didn’t want a collection. So I bought a few nicer knives and a couple of Spydercos. After that is was only Spyderco knives. After getting over 20 or 25 knives I found I was only using a handful of them so decided to sell some to finance getting others in the search for the one (or 5) knife I wanted. Every single Spyderco knife I bought I liked so I had some hard choices to make. Anyway, when I started selling some on eBay I found they were very easy to sell as long as I had taken care of them. Since they were "used" I had to take a loss of course. I didn't create a spreadsheet or anything but I believe I took a loss of 20 to 25% in the long run. Maybe 30% if you include eBay fees and shipping charges but no more. This loss was perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned. What I gained from the money I didn't get back is lots of knowledge about different blade steels, handle ergonomics, locks, etc. I’m no expert but did learn a lot. Mainly, I learned what I liked or disliked in different knives. EBay was the selling path I took. Maybe not the best, just the way I went. Protection for the buyer and seller is the main reason.

So, the reason I'm posting this is if anyone is in the same boat and feels they are getting a collection of knives that aren't used and you don't really want a "collection" they are easily re-sellable at what I'd call a reasonable loss from original purchase price. Use that cash for new knives. I also feel good knowing I was able to help someone get the knife they have been wanting and saving a little money at the same time. This works for me because I’m not selling broken beat up knives. Maybe the new knives you get will take the place of your favorite EDC, maybe they won't. For me, I now have a set of about 5 or 6 Spyderco knives that I'll keep. Different sizes and/or reasons I'll carry one instead of the other.

Here is what I've found to be my favorites. Everyone would not agree with my choices. The good thing about that is Spyderco does have 5 or 6 knives of different models almost anyone would be happy with as a “set” like the one I have decided on.

Sage4: Absolute favorite for EDC.
Gayle Bradley: Second choice for absolute favorite for EDC except the blade is just a tad longer than I prefer. I can easily live with it though and do on many days. :)
Chaparral: Would be absolute favorite except too often I need something bigger or stronger. This has got to be one of the best EDC knives in the world. If anyone disagrees with this that’s ok. Everyone has the right to be wrong. :) Just kidding. I will add the next Chaparral when I can after it is released.
Manbug G-10: Absolute favorite for a small EDC knife. VERY sturdy little guy.
Jester: Second (maybe first, hard to decide) absolute favorite for EDC knife. Another VERY sturdy little guy. I want to keep this one in better shape only because it's a sprint. I did and would EDC it if I didn't have the Manbug which is a normal production knife and easily replaced in necessary.
Manbug FRN: This one I will carry in situations where a salt model may be more appropriate. VG-10 properly taken care of is perfectly fine I think around water. Unless you work on a shrimp boat for days at a time at sea or worse conditions regarding corrosion.

Even though I listed whys and whens I would carry different ones they are all interchangeable for me on most days. Also, for a non-working lazy bum like me the Sage4 and GB are far stronger than I need. But I know I have the strength if I need it. I’ll still be getting other knives of course and some I’ll keep and they may replace one or more of the ones I’m keeping now. Or maybe they won’t.

I appreciate Spyderco people and their products because of the knives I’ve bought and used none were junk and all were enjoyable to use while I searched for my favorites. Reminds me of girls. :eek: Did I type that out loud??? :o :) Knives are better than girls because none of my knives ever told me I was a stupid jerk and they never wanted me to touch them again. :( :) After about a month of that I dump a girl. :)

Jack