Spyderco prices are pushing me right out of my hobby.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I don't think the prices are rising, but I think it's just there aren't many new knives being made that're under $100. I remember opening the catalog, and thinking all these new models were really expensive. Yes, it may be good value, but the higher prices limit me to buying the older models. Just wish that Spyderco would make a few new models that are under $100. Unless I missed a few.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

JimP wrote:So in the end it's just about country of manufacture? This subject has been covered pretty extensively. Your preferred US made knives like the Para and Manix have actually dropped in price....maybe this thread should be about that.

The fact that you will not pay the price for "the best fit and finish available" due to where it is made is both astonishing and commendable, but still leaves you with some very good choices, best of the lot IMHO. :)
No, it's not. It's about price.
Minibear453 wrote:I don't think the prices are rising, but I think it's just there aren't many new knives being made that're under $100. I remember opening the catalog, and thinking all these new models were really expensive. Yes, it may be good value, but the higher prices limit me to buying the older models. Just wish that Spyderco would make a few new models that are under $100. Unless I missed a few.
Now that very well may be. Good observation.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Minibear453 wrote:I don't think the prices are rising, but I think it's just there aren't many new knives being made that're under $100. I remember opening the catalog, and thinking all these new models were really expensive. Yes, it may be good value, but the higher prices limit me to buying the older models. Just wish that Spyderco would make a few new models that are under $100. Unless I missed a few.
What he said.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
JimP

Post by JimP »

David Lowry wrote:Yeah I don't mind if a Military used to be $110 and now it's $140. OK, I'll buy that. I will buy it because it's still made in the USA.
David Lowry wrote:No, it's not. It's about price.

I'm sorry your previous statement doesn't seem to support that...

The impression I got was you seem happy to pay extra for normal inflation if made in the US but not for superior materials and fit and finish when made elsewhere.

Anyway, I will leave you to it, it is however a shame that prices have gone up to the point you can't afford as many as you have been used to. I guess there will be a few of us appreciating the knives we already have a little more.
arty

Post by arty »

I don't think that you can compare knife prices to those for flat screen TVs and electronics. Lots of electronics are marketed by Japanese firms, but made in places like Malaysia, mainland China, etc. The dollar is pretty low against the Yen, so that computes to high prices for Japanese products that are manufactured in Japan.
I find it ironic that Honda moved lots of production to the U.S. to save on costs - for transportation, and for labor, and because of the Yen.

If a knife gets too expensive, it begins to rival the cost of a custom. For me, that price point is when the stuff looks like it is close to $300. I hesitate to spend over $150 for a knife that may just add to the collection in the drawer. I already have too many pocket knives, and there needs to be some special appeal to justify more purchases - like it must do something just a little better than a knife I already have. That is hard to do with so many excellent Spydercos in the drawer.
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

I feel that there are no other mfg's out there that give you the most bang for your buck other than Spyderco - but that being said, they are pushing to the edge of the envelope with pricing on the higher-end models.
What I mean by that is, for me personally, if I have to save and/or sacrifice for a model or style of knife - I may be more likely to save/wait alittle more to buy a custom or atleast look in different areas to spend my monies.
I understand that cost of production and consumer demand drive models and pricing - but for a factory production blade - Taiwan, Japan production blade - they seem to be betting that they can tap into the loyal Spyderco base and/or provide a gap choice for the not so ready for custom class.
For me, I will not consider buying a factory production blade for over $200 street price.
Sal is a sharp business man - No pun intended :D and I'm sure he knows this is somewhat of a gamble in these economic times to roll-out these models.

Well, that's enough.
To each his own
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

David Lowry wrote:Yeah I don't mind if a Military used to be $110 and now it's $140. OK, I'll buy that. I will buy it because it's still made in the USA. There is a lot to be said for that. What I will NOT buy is a $240 knife made in Taiwan. I think that Taichung has some of THE BEST fit and finish available these days, I just cannot pay that kind of money for something made out of this country, when I have a choice to buy IN this country. I'm OK with $100 Sage. It changes when the dollar amount goes above $150. I just cannot do it. I certainly WILL NOT do it for Japan made knives. In the last 2 - 3 years the Taichung Taiwan factory has surpassed all of the Japan made Spydies.

Yes, and please make no mistake, this is a hobby and I don't NEED any of it. I fully understand that. I'm just making an observation.
But will you cross the $150 barrier for a US made Spyderco, like the Ti Military? If so, then, at least to some extent, it is about country of origin. Not saying that's not your right. Thankfully, even in this economy, we all get to choose how we'll spend our money.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Being that the Para2 and Manix2 are both offered under $100 retail (not MSRP) I don't know about that. That doesn't include every FRN one which are close to half that except the ZDP-189 Stretch ($103 at CS). Most the Salt knives, the Cat/Chicago, and some little knives like the Balance and Cricket are $65 and lower.

Again, you can't get a Para2 sprint, Military, or high-end Seki knife for that price. The G10 Taiwan collab's are upwards of $100 too.

I would like to see more FRN runs without liners. No jimping if it saves money too.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Am I alone when I say that I don't understand the point of this thread (that is, the original post)? Just looking at a popular retail site, there are 51 models over $100, and like 100 models (I stopped counting) under $100, with blade steels in VG10, S30V, ZDP-189 and others. Seems like you have myriad options for "affordable" collecting (where the point is to get as many as possible, I assume?).

The trend seems to be to collaborate with top designers to make unique and niche knives for people that really really resonate with that particular knife. How could the collaborations with top materials possibly be made for as much as an Endura?

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, I just don't understand the point of going on a manufacturers forum and complaining that their prices are too high when you're clearly paying for the quality. Or the materials. Or the unique design.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There is no such thing as a pointless thread. :) Still, objective data from Cutlery Shoppe's current listings which show a pretty nice sampling of currently available Spyderco knives. It's somewhat misleading as it includes sharpening equipment.

Narrow by Price

Below $25 (12) 6.5%
$25 to $50 (50) 27.4%
$50 to $100 (69) 37.9%
$100 to $200 (47) 25.8%
$200 to $500 (4) 2.2%

My crappy math doesn't carry off very far percentage wise. It adds up to 98.8% so close enough.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

JimP wrote:I'm sorry your previous statement doesn't seem to support that...

The impression I got was you seem happy to pay extra for normal inflation if made in the US but not for superior materials and fit and finish when made elsewhere.

Anyway, I will leave you to it, it is however a shame that prices have gone up to the point you can't afford as many as you have been used to. I guess there will be a few of us appreciating the knives we already have a little more.
The Deacon wrote:But will you cross the $150 barrier for a US made Spyderco, like the Ti Military? If so, then, at least to some extent, it is about country of origin. Not saying that's not your right. Thankfully, even in this economy, we all get to choose how we'll spend our money.
I should clarify "NO" I will not pay extra for knives made in the USA. My barrier is about $150 currently. It used to be about $130 but it has gone up with prices.

It's probably why I don't currently own a Sebenza or a Rick Hinderer or Brad Southard knife. I would love to own one but I am not willing to pay the steep price they have.

I may be paying "normal inflation" on the US models but I'm not seeing it. I am however seeing crazy high prices on foreign models. And no I don't really mean that those setting those prices are "crazy".
Blerv wrote:...My crappy math doesn't carry off very far percentage wise. It adds up to 98.8% so close enough.
This is funny. I hear people say "I can't math" and I love it. :D
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

There have been a few threads in re: imported knives vs jobs in the US so I won't go far into that. I believe spyderco ships [most of my info is in re: to the Taiwan manufacturer] via US shippers, US high quality materials [steel, handle materials etc etc], and they use their skills+knowledge to treat/sharpen, put together etc etc. I believe it was stated somewhere that there aren't too a plethora of companies that can produce knives of their quality that is up to the standard that Sal would want from knives of the caliber coming out from Taiwan. And that it is price matched accordingly to how much it would cost to make. Yes there is a slight difference when changing currency [I think its .75 cent to the dollar for yuan] So it is more that they have the abilities to produce the knives in the quantities and quality standards.

Now that said, I do feel your pain, and a lot of others have pointed to various points that are relative and at points true. The parts I would like to add beyond those points is that, the knife community is changing/has changed over the past; with that our tastes in knives, what we want in knives, what catches our eye in knives. Yes these knives are expensive, and with the aforementioned: I've see a huge increase in peoples tastes expanding, etc --> [more exotic blade steel, handle materials, lock types/additions to locks - stabilizer, steel insert, etc. Now I know these may not apply for everyone ]. But people are looking for more and more of these things, asking for more and more of these things, and its definitely catching peoples eyes. Another thing is, as the community grows, as we grow into knives [eg starting from cheaper knives and progressing], I think a good portion start to look at more expensive tastes: I want to try carbon fiber, i want to try frame lock, I want to try titanium, I want to try more exotic blade steels. As well as asking themselves, why are people clamoring over X? or Y?, sparking curiosity when others expensive tastes praise such things, one can only wonder how great that expense is. Not to mention sometimes we just want change, and if one stays in the entry level/medium level of knives, there can only be so many choices after years of having being bit.

So with this growth, in order to grow, companies tend to work with this growing community to bring us these fabulous knives/tools. But again, those tastes are expensive, which are reflected in the price. For example, I know this isn't a spyderco, but a friend of mine and I was talking about this: the ZT 888. It is 500 MSRP [if I am not mistaken close to the MSRP of the lionspy - only using msrp as comparison]. He was stating how expensive it is, and I agree, but when looking at the materials, thinking about cost + US hand made, it doesn't hit as a big surprise. It uses a composite blade of s110v + 14c28n spine, and the other variant uses micro-melt maxamet steel. Uses a full titanium frame lock handle with steel insert on lock face, ball bearings washer system [kvt], 3.75" blade. So it starts to add up.

Furthermore, there can only be so much done in a given time, for a given price capping. Meaning trying to introduce new knives at a price [say under 150 bucks]. Finding new designs, lock, technology [this is the kicker here], to employ onto knives at that same pricing ceiling, would be difficult. In stark contrast to have a higher price ceiling, introducing the new "exotic steels", introducing new technology [stabilizers, steel insert for the lockbar, ball bearing system - new for spyderco] new grind lines [technique], custom work/collaborations, new/expensive/higher quality handle materials [various kinds of CF, titanium]. All this expanse creates a huge white slate for creativity, and hence new knives, which undoubtedly translate to more expense.
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

I got into spydies last summer and my collection grew from a Delica 4 to almost 20 different Spyderco knives, many of which were over $100 (and a few sprints). I loved them all equally, but I only carried 4 of them regularly. This year I wanted to get back into shooting and ended up buying a new pistol and a AR-15 for some paper punching and I had to sell some of my Spydies on the forums. I went from 20 back down to 5. You don't always have to keep them forever. Sometimes the enjoyment comes from just fondling them and checking them out, maybe running them in a light EDC role. I will miss many of them, namely the Caly 3 CF, but I kept my main favorites (digi-para2, FG Dragonfly G10, Blue Delica 4 FFG, and my Ladybug/SAK Classic collection). I am already looking ahead to upcoming models this year and have forgotten all about the ones i've sold off to pay for other hobbies.

My point is that knives are fun to collect, but you can buy one, enjoy it, sell it. It hurts at first, but you will see 10 more you want the day after you ship it out to its new owner who will love it just as much.
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
bh49

Post by bh49 »

David,
I am with you on most points. I was little saddened to see that most of new high end Spydercos basically out of my reach. Caly is one of my favorite designs, but I seriously doubt that I will buy damascuss one. $100 is not a cheap knife, but $250 will be really difficult to shellout.
Blerv wrote:The average Golden Spyderco (not including the UKPK lightweights) seems right around $80. Most the expensive ones are just under $105.
If you can tell me, where I can buy LeafStorm and P'Kal for under$105 I will greatly appreciate. Add Ti Mily to my wish list too.
Blerv wrote:objective data from Cutlery Shoppe's current listings which show a pretty nice sampling of currently available Spyderco knives. It's somewhat misleading as it includes sharpening equipment.
Narrow by Price
Below $25 (12) 6.5%
$25 to $50 (50) 27.4%
$50 to $100 (69) 37.9%
$100 to $200 (47) 25.8%
$200 to $500 (4) 2.2%
I beleive that David was talking about new high end knives and not old production. And yes, these numbers are little misleading. Popular models like Delica and Endura counts like 11 of each. There is no
SouthFork, no Tuff, no Svabo, and some other high end knives.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Tried to enlighten before on the fundamental reason for this trend. At the root is income inequality increasing and decreasing the buying power of non wealthy. We all have to deal with the economic realities that exist until congressional policies start favoring and helping folks who are defined as poor and middle class rather than further enriching the wealthy.

I think the prices for Spyderco's are good and fair at dealer prices. I still feel a bit spoiled :) I am fortunate for what I have. In most cases you get what you pay for.

Understanding the causes for the current funk this country is in helps to understand why some folks feel prices are too high.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, has this thread turned into us, in our air-conditioned homes, communicating instantly across the world as if by magic, analyzing why our largely unnecessary hobby has gotten inconveniently expensive, and then blaming "the man?" Lordy.

I'm just saying we need to keep perspective. We all have budgets, and things we like to indulge in. If $250 for a knife is odious to you, then that's ok, but there are plenty of other options.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

David Lowry wrote:It's so hard for me to see how in an economy that is so bad, how people will pay for expensive knives. Obviously the demand is there or Spyderco wouldn't price their knives so high.

I can get a Caly 3 in ZDP-189/420J2 for about $115. However the Caly 3.5 with the same handles and blade steel is about $175. :eek:

There are a lot of Japan/Taiwan models that are basically out of my reach and I make pretty darn good money.

Seems that the only ones I can afford any more are ones made in Golden Colorado, or the FRN Spydies. Anything G10 or carbon fiber or titanium made outside of the USA is out of my reach financially. Maybe Spyderco wants people to start buying stuff made in Golden more.

I was really looking forward to getting a Centofante Memory until I saw that it would be about a $210 knife. The Lion Spy is a $300 knife? Wow.

The Spyderco Tuff looks freakin' awesome. Not for $240. If I'm spending that kind of paper I'll throw down another $100 and get a Sebenza that's made in the USA.

I know this is pretty much a rant but I'm just getting frustrated at being priced out of my hobby.

Glad I like the Para 2 and the Manix 2.
I know how you feel. I think Spyderco is pricing their knives as fairly as possible. I said "think" because of course I have no idea. My experience with the Spyderco team is just this forum and the knives I've bought and a couple of times with customer service. So far I am very happy Spyderco. They seem to be motivated to provide as many knife selections for cutting needs as well as price needs of the customers. So, when I see a knife I really want but it is more than I can or am willing to pay for it I just pretend it doesn't exist. I decided to buy better quality knives a few years ago. I got on the computer and was shocked by the prices. I really had no idea. I would rather Spyderco make every knife they can no matter how much they need to charge for it. If I can't afford it I know someone else can. Who knows, I may be able to get one someday. Once in a while I think most of us luck into some money for one reason or another. Some people put it in savings like it never happened. Not me. Well some, but I spoil myself some also and so does my wife.

Anyway, I feel for you and myself and others as well. Wish I had a fix for the situation. Then again if I did I would have every knife I wanted. Somehow I think that may take some of the fun out of it. I have more knives than I need so the rest is for fun. :D

Jack
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

tvenuto wrote:At the risk of sounding like a jerk, has this thread turned into us, in our air-conditioned homes, communicating instantly across the world as if by magic, analyzing why our largely unnecessary hobby has gotten inconveniently expensive, and then blaming "the man?" Lordy.

I'm just saying we need to keep perspective. We all have budgets, and things we like to indulge in. If $250 for a knife is odious to you, then that's ok, but there are plenty of other options.
We all know that anything regarding knife prices is a complete and total first world problem. It's not even that. It's a well off person's problem.

I think that for the most part we can agree that if we are on a computer posting to this forum about knives we like we are doing pretty well. I'm simply saying that I am not doing as well as I was (or, rather that I'm doing fine but the knife prices are going up). Not looking for sympathy as it is a hobby and it's a non-necessity.

I'm just sharing my thoughts about the hobby that we all love. ;)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

This topic pops up from time to time and whenever it does, more often than not it is a sensitive issue and a hot topic that tends to put people on the defensive. Of course there are a fair number of models under $100. Pulling up numbers, search results and prices from any given dealer would support this. But when you take into account that 20 or so are Delicas & Enduras and another approx. 30 are UKPK's, that "under $100" figure changes drastically.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

jackknifeh wrote:I know how you feel. I think Spyderco is pricing their knives as fairly as possible. I said "think" because of course I have no idea. My experience with the Spyderco team is just this forum and the knives I've bought and a couple of times with customer service. So far I am very happy Spyderco.
Jack
I agree, Jack. There are plenty of modestly priced, very high quality Spydies available. Like the Centofante 3 I just bought myself for Father's Day. What a great little knife for a little over $50.

But I think the OP is right that Spyderco seems to be focusing on higher end new models this year. Now, as you say, I assume they are very reasonably priced for the materials, etc.----I don't think Spyderco is trying to gouge its customers, either---but it's still kind of frustrating for Spydie fans on a budget who already have all the Delicas and Enduras they need and are interested in the new stuff coming out.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.