Curious about YO2 use

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tr4022

Curious about YO2 use

Post by tr4022 »

Okay, I'm assuming you YO2 owners don't go around eviscerating people, so I'm curious what you use them for? EDC? Opening packages, cutting stray threads, that sort of thing? Not trying to be snarky here, but it just seems designed for a pretty specific purpose, so I was wondering what you use it for and well it works in a non-SD role.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Lots of things are designed for a specific use but are never used for them. Guns aren't always used to kill things. This knife may be awesome for self defense, but it has a lot in common with a common carpet knife. It can do anything a utility blade can do. I wouldn't want to be stuck using it for food prep, but then I also wouldn't use a carpet knife for food prep either. Wharncliffe blades have been around for a long time and used for more things than self defense. It just so happens that the cutting power at the tip that the design offers works well for self defense. So, it's all about perspective. I see a utility blade being adapted for self defense, not a self defense blade being adapted for utility use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Wharnies are similar to hawkbills in that they give you negative tip angle. For a traditional knife (eg: Para2) to offer a similar tip angle to the cutting surface it basically has to be held down 45 degrees.

I don't own a Yo2 but what blades like it offer are more "tip horsepower" for daily chores. The example I use is opening a bag of chips, coupon cutting, etc. A flick of the wrist equals a deep long cut in loose materials.

You do have to have a bit more car about certain things like Evil D said such as carpet cutting. You are naturally going to put way more pressure on the tip than a normal bellied knife due to bio-mechanics. In a world of random percentages ( ;) ) if a normal blade does 70% of tasks with it's tip a wharnie or hawkbill does 90%. It's tip is way more aggressive and works effortlessly but if you overtorque and snap or wear it down over time it becomes less effective. That's why having a Ladybug is great for a thrash knife.
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

I actually just got the Yo2 a few days ago and i was thinking about this too before i got it. I have carried it everyday and used it just as i would say my para 2 which is my primary edc.

It is great for boxes and any other everyday tasks and i actually used it to take apart some screen on my patio (small prying).
I honestly think its great for my edc system and i love it so far. It is an extremely solid knife and im sure can take almost anything i throw at it. If your a spydie food prep person, stick with the Tenacious lol thats what i use atleast!
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Evil D wrote:Lots of things are designed for a specific use but are never used for them. Guns aren't always used to kill things.
Indeed. Sometimes, you use them to SIMULATE killing things. Also, because they're made of metal, you can use them to drive nails.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
cevtv

Post by cevtv »

I carry my Yojimbo 2 strictly as a defensive tool.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Thanks for the replies, guys, and for taking my question in the spirit in which it was intended. I was little leery someone might take offense. I always appreciate the civility displayed on the Spydie forums.

Tod
BAL

Post by BAL »

I have one Yo2 and it my main SD blade. It's in my right pocket now
and will stay there. I would love to have another one when they are
available, to use as a work horse knife.

The blade is thick and strong at the tip and I believe that it can handle
most anything.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Not a Yo 2, (I doubt That we will ever see them in Australia) but my Yo 1 is the best thing ever to cut the centres out of leather windmill pump buckets so they fit the pistons correctly.
O.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

I have used mine when there is one thing that I wish to make into two or more things. I used it to trim some Weedeater line recently, for example.

The bottom line is that it's a wharncliffe blade, which is totally useful for many things. The only "iffy" thing about the Yo2 as an EDC user is that the tip may be a bit delicate if one were to drop the thing. But that's an acceptable risk, IMO.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

O,just,O wrote:Not a Yo 2, (I doubt That we will ever see them in Australia) but my Yo 1 is the best thing ever to cut the centres out of leather windmill pump buckets so they fit the pistons correctly.
O.
See, now why didn't I think of that? Sheesh! BTW, does it hurt spending your life hanging upside down all the time down there? :p

tod
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Mud Shrimp Moe wrote:I have used mine when there is one thing that I wish to make into two or more things.
Well, now, that's just crazy talk! :D
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Mud Shrimp Moe wrote:I have used mine when there is one thing that I wish to make into two or more things.
Not to beat a dead horse, but are you saying you take a knife, and then you actually use it to divide one things.... into two or more things? Oh, Lordy, you, my friend, are living in what most of us would call a dream world! If only such a fanciful implement actually existed! Honestly, you and your wild imagination! :p

tod
DoctaD

Post by DoctaD »

I got my YO2 as an EDC knife, to use for all the little things that need cutting, trimming, slicing....I have never been in, nor intend to be in a knife fight, but if I were, the YO2, I think, would be useful and effective. I especially like the Wharncliff design, with the non-jimped ramp for the thumb or index finger, for tip power and control. For SD, I prefer my brain, eyes, ears and feet...and if absolutely necessary firearm.
(Looking forward to using my YO2, which I just got today)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Evil D wrote:Lots of things are designed for a specific use but are never used for them. Guns aren't always used to kill things. This knife may be awesome for self defense, but it has a lot in common with a common carpet knife. It can do anything a utility blade can do. I wouldn't want to be stuck using it for food prep, but then I also wouldn't use a carpet knife for food prep either. Wharncliffe blades have been around for a long time and used for more things than self defense. It just so happens that the cutting power at the tip that the design offers works well for self defense. So, it's all about perspective. I see a utility blade being adapted for self defense, not a self defense blade being adapted for utility use.
Well said. I agree 100%.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Tod
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I was wondering about this as well. Thank you.