Texting driver convicted of vehicular homocide.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Anonymous wrote:Being made an example? lol, please. Somebody is dead because of him....
So, you think this wasn't an accident? Was this intentional? While he was getting in the car, you think that he was planning this?

I mean maybe again it is bad reporting, but it sounds like manslaughter or something, not vehicular homocide by definition. I don't think you are going to argue the definition.

Or maybe you are.

And... by your thinking, it appears that you support that he be made an example of.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I have lost count as to the number of accidents I have investigated were texting was the cause! It's the same lame story that I constantly hear, "I only looked away to text for just a second" or "I read my text and only looked away for a second."

Two weeks ago, four people, three adults and one juvenille, were killed by a driver who was texting. The four people were burned alive in their vehicle, as they were unable to exit the car, due to the damage caused by the accident. BURNED ALIVE! I was on a different call when the accident occurred, but my beat partner took it and he is still bothered by what he saw. And why did this happen, cause people type into a **** phone, rather than speak into the **** thing!

Excuse the rant, but I've seen too many accidents caused by texting and now people are starting to die.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yeah, I thought about it while I was driving home.

I was summarizing too much. My argument was about equal to someone shooting into a crowd and trying to blame the people for running into the bullets.

It is negligence, I do think it is very irresponsible, it is stupid. I'm just not sure the punishment is what it should be.

Maybe I am trying to make an exception for it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

The Student wrote:Ohio just passed a no texting while driving law, it's a pretty hefty fine I hear. The law also limits drivers under 18 from using any electronic device while in the car. From how the local news made it sound it is not an offense that a driver can be pulled over for, so it doesn't really make sense to me. Can an officer that pulls you over for speeding look in your phone to see if you have been texting?? Sounds like an invasion of privacy to me and would require a warrant.
Georgia has had the first part of this law in act for a couple of years. Any minors can't talk on the phone, eat, drink, etc.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
coonan

Post by coonan »

I just heard on the radio that some place out east starting in 30 or60 days by law will not be able to walk in that town and text at the same time. A little to much I think.
thog94

Post by thog94 »

coonan wrote:I just heard on the radio that some place out east starting in 30 or60 days by law will not be able to walk in that town and text at the same time. A little to much I think.
I purposely bump into those people because they can't bother to look up and expect everyone else to move.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

thog94 wrote:I purposely bump into those people because they can't bother to look up and expect everyone else to move.
I like that. Bumping into someone won't hurt them, just get their attention. You know it wasn't too many days ago we had to write a letter and let the mailman take it. Now due to technology (which I think is good) all of a sudden we can't live without the luxuries of easy communication even if it puts ourselves and others at serious risk. I have to say it again. I'm not perfect. I've been guilty of neglectful driving.

Jack
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Donut and Anon,

No reason to argue. I doubt life is being trivialized. If the punishment is improportionate to the crime it could be a case of him being made an example. It's the first case I've heard of that includes texting and vehicular homicide. In fact, there is some question of lying to the authorities ("the phone was in the passenger seat") when text records indicate otherwise.

You don't want to be doing something illegal when you kill someone. Accident or not, example or rational prosecution. Lying tends to elevate the punshishmebt.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I eat and drive almost every day that I am at work. I take my lunch/snack out of the box so that I don't have to take my eyes off of the road. I have ToughBook in a bracket right beside the drivers seat. The lid gets closed before I start driving. Basically I will do an activity while driving that will not distract from my driving ability but if I feel it's going to get me into an accident then I won't do it.

I don't know what the numbers are, but I bet texting while driving is more dangerous than drinking.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
cubsfan1969

Post by cubsfan1969 »

Don't let my motorcycle ride interfere with the safety of your phone call/text. :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

cubsfan1969 wrote:Don't let my motorcycle ride interfere with the safety of your phone call/text. :D
Being a smaller and quicker target motorcycles are the more challenging prey. Nothing like running a bike off the road while eating dinner, drinking wine and texting. :D

Jack
PS
Sorry, bad attempt at humor. :)
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

There is no excuse for distracted driving.

Even if you don't cause an accident you might avoid an accident if you are not distracted.

When I was 16 I got a ticket for running a red light. I leaned over to pick up a can of brake fluid that fell over in my my Mother's car as I approached an intersection. I thought I was going to make the light. The officer said I ran the red light and I honestly I did not know because I was not paying attention. Thanks to that policemen to this day I do my very best to pay complete attention to my driving.

It will soon be common to subpena your cellphone records if you are involved in a serious accident.

Mythbusters did testing and found that cell phone use was more dangerous that driving while intoxicated.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Sending a text message to a driver involved in a crash may make you partially liable for the accident.

They did lose the case against the text sender but the driver who caused two people to lose a leg pleaded guilty.

"Text Sender Sued for Allegedly Causing Driver to Crash, a New Jersey judge will rule this month whether a woman who sent a text message to the driver of a pick-up truck is partially liable for his subsequent crash into a couple riding a motorcycle.

The case stems from a 2009 accident when a then 19-year-old Kyle Best got into an accident while texting. Best was driving his pick-up truck and replying to a text he had just received from Shannon Colonna when his vehicle drifted into opposing traffic and slammed into David and Linda Kubert’s motorcycle.

The couple’s injuries were horrific with David Kubert losing his left leg above the knee during the accident and Linda Kubert having her leg later amputated below the knee as a result of her injuries.

After initially bringing a suit against Best for his role in the accident, the Kuberts’ lawyer, Stephen Weinstein, expanded the complaint to include Colonna as well."

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=8649730

http://www.kmtv.com/153288605.html

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... -to-crash/
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
cubsfan1969

Post by cubsfan1969 »

jackknifeh wrote:Being a smaller and quicker target motorcycles are the more challenging prey. Nothing like running a bike off the road while eating dinner, drinking wine and texting. :D

Jack
PS

I'm convinced Colorado has the worst drivers. If they are not distracted, then they tailgate you NASCAR drafting style. This is one state for sure you need uninsured motorist insurance!
thog94

Post by thog94 »

jackknifeh wrote:Being a smaller and quicker target motorcycles are the more challenging prey. Nothing like running a bike off the road while eating dinner, drinking wine and texting. :D

Jack
PS
An old timer once told me that he always rode with a few batteries in his pockets. You never know when they might accidentally fall out of your pockets.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Pinetreebbs wrote:Sending a text message to a driver involved in a crash may make you partially liable for the accident.
That, IMHO, would be carrying things too far. Nothing forces the recipient to open and read an incoming text message. By that standard then there'd be an equal case for suing billboard advertisers and highway departments.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Clip

Post by Clip »

The Deacon wrote:That, IMHO, would be carrying things too far. Nothing forces the recipient to open and read an incoming text message. By that standard then there'd be an equal case for suing billboard advertisers and highway departments.
Agreed, it's the driver's choice to answer or not.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris