Manix 2 & 2XL - New Lock Design?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Magus

Manix 2 & 2XL - New Lock Design?

Post by Magus »

My first post so hello all. New to the world of Spyderco, but not new to knives. I apologize if this has been covered already, but didn't see anything about it.

Got a few Spydercos in the last month. Most recently a Manix 2XL and the BBL cage is a tad different from all the others in the Manix series I've seen.

Main thing is, it's black. Not the normal clear plastic like my regular Manix 2 has or any pic or vid of anything in the Manix 2 series I've seen.

I'm assuming this must be a recent change they're rolling out?

Also of note, the spring weight of the BBL on my Manix 2xl was much lighter out of box than the regular Manix2. Needed no break in. The lock on the Manix2 when I got it was a beast, but broke in after a few days. This one though was pretty light and easy to manipulate...maybe that's normal on the XL, don't know....my only reference was my Manix 2.

The serrations on the nubs of the BBL cage also seem slightly more aggressive than the standard clear plastic cage. This seems a little easier to get your fingers on. Could be the lighter spring though creating that perception for me.

Pics below. So is this a new change Spyderco is rolling out? If so, I like it.

Clip

Post by Clip »

Thought I liked it in that first picture, but the 2nd and 3rd look strange. I guess I've grown used to the clear cage.

I caught myself today looking at a Benchmade and wondering why it looked ugly and incomplete. Then I realized it didn't have a big hole in the blade.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Magus

Post by Magus »

Clip wrote:Thought I liked it in that first picture, but the 2nd and 3rd look strange. I guess I've grown used to the clear cage.

I caught myself today looking at a Benchmade and wondering why it looked ugly and incomplete. Then I realized it didn't have a big hole in the blade.
Yeah, got used to the clear cage pretty quick too on my Manix 2 and all the pics I've seen. So I was fairly surprised when I pulled this out of the box.

I'm fine with either color cage honestly. But again, and I'm assuming...this must be the beginning of a more permanent change for the cage. So if you're a collector, I would think this would be significant.
FEATHERSTONE

Post by FEATHERSTONE »

Got mine yesterday, was surprised as well, but kind of glad as I felt the clear looked out of place lol..Manix 2 XL is silky smooth, Para and Millie will be getting a rest for awhile lol.
eloreno

Post by eloreno »

magus, does your manix2 xl have skeletonized liners?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

So the new S30V Manix2 is shipping now? Sweet.
All God's critters have knives.
Magus

Post by Magus »

eloreno wrote:magus, does your manix2 xl have skeletonized liners?
Yes the liners are skeletonized.

I was thinking they'd be solid like the regular manix 2.

So again, the skeletonized liners were another surprise. Not sure if this is another new change or if they always made the XL liners this way, but it's a welcome one. The XL feels lighter in my hand than my manix 2 despite being the larger knife.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The only thing that sucks is that the lock release will be more difficult to see. For people who have never used the knife, they probably won't even be able to figure out how to unlock it.

The skeletonized liner is some very good news, the first ones were solid liner.

zhyla, the pictures show a Manix 2 XL, which has always been S30V.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Might have been a material change? There were a few cases of the transparent cage breaking.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, doesn't make much difference to me but i did sort of like the clear. The black does give off a less "cheap plastic" feel though. The black would make more sense on a DLC knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

I like my clear plastic one lol. I believe the XL was always skeleotinized. I love my manix 2, might have to pick up an XL one day, especially since they are cheap. Such a solid build, strong knife, its huge, and its s30v...all for what $100? Steal. Looking forward to the manix 2 coming with s30v. I have a DLC one but might pick up plain satin in s30v. Anyone else notice how differently dlc adheres to different steels. My 154cm manix is smooth, almost glossy texture, while my s30v dlc knives are more of a matte finish.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
rycen

Post by rycen »

The first lot of the M2 XL has solid liners
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

I hope that there is some additional plastic strength reason for black over clear.

IMO, it would have been nice to have a Toxic Green cage, to make the lock release SUPER obvious. That way, when you get asked the easy question, "How do you unlock it?" you have a reason to look at them the way we normally do. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

I ordered one that should come tomorrow or Monday and I'm really hoping mine will be clear. I bought it specifically to be customized by tuffknives and it will look completely different in the end but I'd be lying if I didnt want that clear cage.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
markg

Post by markg »

Got one this Monday and it has the black cage. Was a bit surprised at first. Honestly I am indifferent to the color, not a deal breaker for me.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Well, Ill deal with the black for skeletonized liners.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The black color of the plastic has come about due to recent improvements. It enhances the strength of the plastic and makes the knife look more classy. Plus, the dirt that transfers from our fingers don't show very clearly as on the transparent one.

Don't tell me you don't like the black version.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Muscon

Post by Muscon »

I'm waiting to receive a new Manix 2 XL. Am interested to find out if it has the 'improved' lock. ;)
Like others have said, this new design will look awesome on the DLC Manix.
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Now we need some XL sprint runs so I can justify another Manix 2 XL.
The lock button being black isn't a big enough difference to make me buy another.
I guess that makes me atypical and under obsessed for a Spyderco fan.