I believe a round of applause is in order.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bradley

I believe a round of applause is in order.

Post by Bradley »

Yesterday I joined the majority of this forum in being able to say that I am officially a high school graduate, and a college freshman. Boo ya. What spydie am I going to gift myself as a little grad present? ;)
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Clip

Post by Clip »

Congrats. What major?

I vote for getting a hard to find sprint, possibly on eBay. Make it a good one!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Congrats, Bradley! That's a milestone to be proud of.
TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
rg02

Post by rg02 »

congrats! enjoy the college years----some of the most fun memories of my life. plus i met my wife in college. cherish every moment of the college life! it goes by too fast!

as for a spydie----my vote is for a sprint run of a PM2---whichever spring is in your price range!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd vote for something you can get away with carrying on campus without causing too much drama. Congrats!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Clap!!

Get some kind of paramilitary. Been my favorite for a while now.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Congrats, Bradley! Enjoy your school years.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Clip: Most likely going for mechanical engineering

A sprint PM2 does sound nice, as far as a blade on campus, I'm not sure what the rules are. Haven't been able to find any sort of cut and dry "you can do this, you can't do this" rules. My google fu is quite weak though, maybe I can call the school and ask.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Good to hear, I was going to go mechanical but ended up doing Materials Sci/Engineering. VT had a page on their website defining 4"+ knives or fixed blades as weapons, your school probably has a similar page. I carried a Manix2 for a few years there, and a G10 Leek before that. What college are you attending?

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

California State Univeristy Chico. I'll look for a CSU weapons policy page.

Edit: Looks like 2.5" and smaller, nothing larger allowed in university housing. 2.5" :O :(
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Evil D wrote:I'd vote for something you can get away with carrying on campus without causing too much drama. Congrats!
Big +1 to Evil. Congratulations!
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Straight from CSU Chico's site
"Firearms & Weapons
The following items are strictly prohibited in University Housing facilities and on University grounds: firearms of any kind, hunting bows, arrows, knives with blades larger than 2.5", dangerous weapons, martial arts weapons/devices, tasers, paintball guns, air-soft guns, pellet/BB guns, gunpowder, and explosives."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bradley wrote:Clip: Most likely going for mechanical engineering

A sprint PM2 does sound nice, as far as a blade on campus, I'm not sure what the rules are. Haven't been able to find any sort of cut and dry "you can do this, you can't do this" rules. My google fu is quite weak though, maybe I can call the school and ask.

Another way to look at it is, if you buy a high dollar sprint, do you wanna risk losing it during some late night inebriated stupor?
~David
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I think I'm gonna keep my eye out for a g-10 dragonfly.
Clip

Post by Clip »

That's an excellent choice I hear. Or you could shoot for one of the other little big knives like the Dodo, Meerkat, Chicago, Cat, Squeak, Balance?

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?category=9

Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bradley wrote:I think I'm gonna keep my eye out for a g-10 dragonfly.
Great choice. Don't overlook the Ladybug/Manbug either, they're perfect keychain knives so you'll always have a blade on you.
~David
cubsfan1969

Post by cubsfan1969 »

I vote for the Chicago! ;)
eitenbuffalo34

Post by eitenbuffalo34 »

I am going to be a junior at the University of Colorado; Boulder. I was in the same situation and got myself a PM2 which is by far my favorite knife, I got a standard S30V but regret not going for the blue M390. Honestly, get what you want and just don't be stupid about it. As long as your not swinging it around you will be fine. I have pulled my pocket knives on campus for use larger than the legal limit, as long as you just do your thing no one even thinks about it. I even had my 7" kabar with me in the dorms! :) Go with a sprint PM2, I know it looks like a lot of money but it is definitely worth it in the long run!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:spyder:'s: Paramilitary 2 Satin Camo, Caly 3.5 Carbon Fiber, Translucent Blue Manix, Pacific Salt SE, Tenacious, and Paramilitary 2 M390 Blue
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Yeh, I've had a pm2, pretty nice knife, I want a yo 2, but the length limit and their seemingly strict no warnings you're outta here policy has got me trembling ;) I really want to try a dodo, this may make me spring for the cf dodo after all, even being s30v