Superleaf (vertical blade play)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mike79

Superleaf (vertical blade play)

Post by Mike79 »

I've been edc'ing my Superleaf for about 8 months now. Great knife, it's been with me from coast to coast and I really feel it's the perfect mix of elegant lines and rugged sturdiness.

One thing I have noticed on mine though is slight up and down blade play. I only really notice it when I grab it by the blade and then wiggle the handle. I'm just wondering if this is just a common thing with compression lock knives?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Did the play develop with use? Mine is absolutely solid.
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

Didn't really check it when I first got it so I can't really say.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Have you tried rotating the stop pin?
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Have you tried rotating the stop pin?
Never taken a knife apart before. Will give that a try.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Mike79 wrote:Never taken a knife apart before. Will give that a try.
You don't need to take it apart. Just loosen the screws on the stop pin and rotate 1/4" at a time. Test each time too. If you find a position you like, loctite and tighten.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Rotating it shouldn't work but sometimes does. :) Call Spyderco tomorrow and ask them about that - it's not unheard of and I'm not sure they consider that a warranty issue. Unlike most locks, a compression lock with a little play almost always remains completely safe and reliable.
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

JNewell wrote:Rotating it shouldn't work but sometimes does. :) Call Spyderco tomorrow and ask them about that - it's not unheard of and I'm not sure they consider that a warranty issue. Unlike most locks, a compression lock with a little play almost always remains completely safe and reliable.
Love the compression lock. Looking at getting a Para2 soon. Looks like it's the most edc'd knife in existence right now.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Totally great knife and one of the best locks available today. :) :spyder:
Mike79 wrote:Love the compression lock. Looking at getting a Para2 soon. Looks like it's the most edc'd knife in existence right now.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

It's not super uncommon but the design allows it to remain safe like mentioned. I sent a Para 1 back to Spyderco last year with a little too much rock and they sent me a brand new knife stating the play could not be corrected. Out of the 6 Paras that I've had there is this one instance.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

There may be something preventing the lock lug from going far enough over to allow a solid lockup.(requires teardown)

The locklug is sliding backwards when you push down on the blade spine.(look at the locklug as you push down on the blade spine. This could be a big problem)

Let us know what you find.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

Spyderco told me just to send the knife to them to look at. It's gonna suck not having my leaf on me.
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

So instead, I went ahead and tightened the pivot screw just a hair and now the play is gone.

I haven't had a chance to rotate the stop pin yet because my bit set doesnt have the right sized torx bit.
Donut

Post by Donut »

IMO, you have to have that bit. Every so often I find a model that has issues, so I grab my torx and one of the screws is loose. Tightening everything or adjusting something usually fixes everything.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

Donut wrote:IMO, you have to have that bit. Every so often I find a model that has issues, so I grab my torx and one of the screws is loose. Tightening everything or adjusting something usually fixes everything.
To be honest, I think I'm being a little too picky. The movement was so tiny I doubt it truly warrants my sending it to spyderco. I actually like the blade a little tighter like this, it's still an ultra smooth knife even with the pivot screw tightened like this. I'm not one to flick knives open.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Mike79 wrote:So instead, I went ahead and tightened the pivot screw just a hair and now the play is gone.

I haven't had a chance to rotate the stop pin yet because my bit set doesnt have the right sized torx bit.
Id the play is gone, don't bother rotating the stop pin.
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Id the play is gone, don't bother rotating the stop pin.
Ok. I bought a torx set today anyways.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Did you push down on the bladespine while looking at the lock lug, to see if it slides back?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Mike79 wrote:Ok. I bought a torx set today anyways.
A torx set is indespensible to a knife nut. You'll be needing that, if not for this knife, for some other knife.
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

gull wing wrote:Did you push down on the bladespine while looking at the lock lug, to see if it slides back?
With the knife opened or closed?