Call me particular...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FroOchie

Call me particular...

Post by FroOchie »

But what do you guys consider "New In Box"? Reason being, I'm finding that some of the knives that I like the most are discontinued so Ebay has become my source to find them. However I'm cringing when I see someone advertise a knife as New yet the pictures have it laying on concrete, or some other foul outside landscape that could scratch or muck up a knife. Maybe a knife that was never used to cut is new to some... but not to me. For the price of some of these folders I'm looking at, I just dont consider them NIB when I see an open knife laying on asphalt. Same as when the Spyderco Edge-U-Cation paperwork looks like it was used to pick someone's teeth or held in a back pocket for 2 weeks before the seller posted the knife.

... and I'm off my soap box. phew.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

would you pay a high dollar amount for something you cant see?
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

no, I'm ok with it out of the box for pictures. But I'm not ok with it laying on your cement garage floor to take those pictures.

For instance... If I'm paying more than 300 bucks... I'm buying

This: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Milita ... 4402509918

where as this is a total turnoff:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-M390-C ... 4d018fae09
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i can see what your saying but im sure the knife is fine
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

I'm sure it is too... but to me it's not "NIB, I want more than 300 bucks fine". ;)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I do ssee what you are saying, and I semi agree...but what would push me to one seller or the other in this case, would be feedback.
On the hunt for...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

FroOchie wrote:I'm sure it is too... but to me it's not "NIB, I want more than 300 bucks fine". ;)
Buy a cara-cara. ;)
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Buy a cara-cara. ;)
Do I have to?
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Yeah, you're particular alright. Those pictures look great IMO. I could care less about the background if the images are clear and show accurate condition of the knife.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

FroOchie wrote:Do I have to?
Well played sir. :D
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

D1omedes wrote:Yeah, you're particular alright. Those pictures look great IMO. I could care less about the background if the images are clear and show accurate condition of the knife.
So if you had both auctions to choose from, both were the same price and both had similar seller ratings... you would chose the one laying on Slate over the one thats inside with the box? I sell cars and I have people *****ing when it's pictured outside with snow on it or in the sun with no windshield blocker preventing the interior from being faded. I wish you guys were my customers. :D
Spyderbro

Post by Spyderbro »

Fro0chie, I totally get what you are saying. I have not bought a knife just because of where they lay their knife for pictures. Concrete, boards, branches, tile... :p I also don't like it when you can tell they laid that new (NIB?) knife on their un-made bed!! What the !?! :confused:
[CENTER]Speak to people as if they were directly in front of you. [/CENTER]
v8r

Post by v8r »

Never sold anything NIB.....what does that mean? Everything I have ever sold on EBay has been used, even if it looked like new. I call bull on the statement that a knife is NIB, because they mostly aren't , as most are likely used. Honesty to me is a quality most people will never have when money is involved. Mostly I read the description of the product with a grain of salt and then check their feedback(which isnt necessarily accurate either)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I consider "New In The Box" something that has NOT been used to cut things and has NOT been flicked open and closed multiple times. I'll tolerate a few casual, easy thumbing of the blade since pretty much everyone does that when they first get a new :spyder: ... however...

I also no longer shop EBay (bad experience). If I can't get a NIB or a "slightly used" version of a discontinued :spyder: from a reputable dealer (such as New Graham Knives, from whom I've purchased a few "slightly used," discontinued knives that were in outstanding condition), I don't bother.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Anonymous wrote:If it was me the product would be laying on a non-abrasive material. It's just like when you go to a jewelry store; they don't want their products on anything but the felt pad provided because they want them to remain in pristine condition.

Here here. I'm the same way. In the pictures I supplied I really see such a distinct difference in the way both of those knives are presented. I appreciate the input everyone.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

The price is too high, of course, but the seller has 100% positive feedback for 125 transactions. He may have taken it out of the box for pix and then put it back in the box. I would advertise that as "ANIB, just out of box for pictures."
I have no desire to cheat anyone, and wouldn't advertise it falsely. Most of my knives have come off this forum, and I have always been very satisfied.
Sonny
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nib for me is opened, opened and closed. Never carried and still nib sharp completely dirt/blemish free.

That's just clever camera work to me. Obviously not scratched/chipped. I would make it clear prior to buying any road rash will be not be taken lightly.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I like to think that if you are the first owner (straight from the dealer to your hands) then it is NIB. If you are the 2nd, 3rd, 10th, or you get it from a B/S/T forum, in my opinion it should have an "L" in front of that NIB for "Like New In Box". This doesn't necessarily mean that the knife is used, only that it is like it was when it was new. How are you to know that your "NIB" orange Para2 or orange Dodo wasn't fondled & flicked by the hands pictured below? If it was, it isn't NIB, in my opinion.

[ATTACH]20363[/ATTACH]
Attachments
cheetoFingers.jpg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've bought a few older white-box Spydies that had a little "box wear" from being on the shelf so long. That I don't mind, and consider the knife (if it is otherwise clean) as NIB.

MINT, is a different designation, though. That implies that it has only been taken out of its box for pictures (if at all).

TedP