Cuz boyz just wanna have fun...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tr4022

Cuz boyz just wanna have fun...

Post by tr4022 »

Okay, I realize the last thing anyone wants to read, let alone answer, is yet another "Which knife should I get?" post, but I'm hoping this has a slightly different twist to it.

Say someone wants to get a new Spydie. Not for any particular purpose, mind you, just a cool, fun blade to have and play with (hmm, is that Nutnfancy's first or second kind of cool?). And say this person already has a P2 and, while he likes it, doesn't feel compelled to go out and spend money on another one.

What should it be and why? A ppt? Zulu? Gb? Super leaf? Some version of the Manix? Chokwe? Wait for the Lum tanto fixed blade to come out? Something else? R Nishijin is beautiful, but looks too fancy-schmancy. No Chinese folders, either, please; they just don't float this hypothetical person's boat.

Come on, now, I know you have a favorite you think I -- uh, this person -- should get.

Oh, right the Yojimbo2! I completely forgot about that one... Oh, never mind, they're never coming out again.

Tod :cool:
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I would say a Military, really can't go wrong there IMO.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

For variety, how about a bright orange Dodo? These certainly fit the "cool/fun" requirement!

TedP
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Manix 2 XL. It's a bit bigger, fun to play around with, and totally carry-able if you don't dress like a hipster. The fit and finish (on my example at least) is flawless, and the G10 texture is better than any of the other knives I've handled. Talk about a slab of S30V! And all for under $100? Robbery. Some have said they don't like the lock (you need to pull on both sides to disengage), but it doesn't bother me. I'm newer at this and don't have an exhaustive knowledge or experience with the full spyderco lineup, but that's my recommendation.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

phillipsted wrote:For variety, how about a bright orange Dodo? These certainly fit the "cool/fun" requirement!

TedP
Are those even still around, Ted? My impression was that those zoomed out of the stores faster than they arrived!

Tod
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

tvenuto wrote:Manix 2 XL. It's a bit bigger, fun to play around with, and totally carry-able if you don't dress like a hipster. The fit and finish (on my example at least) is flawless, and the G10 texture is better than any of the other knives I've handled. Talk about a slab of S30V! And all for under $100? Robbery. Some have said they don't like the lock (you need to pull on both sides to disengage), but it doesn't bother me. I'm newer at this and don't have an exhaustive knowledge or experience with the full spyderco lineup, but that's my recommendation.
Mmm-hmmm. I do like the looks of that one. It would have to be strictly a play-with-at-home knife for me. I'm too old to dress like a hipster, but I'm kinda funny about the size of knives I carry with me because a) I'm fussy about weight issues (thank you, Nutnfancy!), and b) in the urban/suburban environment I live in, I don't feel comfortable walking around with too big a knife (which begs the question, how big is too big, right?). Nevertheless, I do like it. Thanks for the response.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Ankerson wrote:I would say a Military, really can't go wrong there IMO.
Yes, a military with camo handle and black blade. Ain't nobody gonna mess with me! ;) Yeah, I've considered that one. Me like.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

phillipsted wrote:For variety, how about a bright orange Dodo? These certainly fit the "cool/fun" requirement!

TedP
+1. Absolutely.
tr4022 wrote:Are those even still around, Ted? My impression was that those zoomed out of the stores faster than they arrived!
Tod
Watch secondary market. I picked-up my second Orange Dodo on e-bay for only $15 mote than I paid to the dealer. After that I saw them even for less.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

bh49 wrote:+1. Absolutely.

Watch secondary market. I picked-up my second Orange Dodo on e-bay for only $15 mote than I paid to the dealer. After that I saw them even for less.
Okay, thanks for the tip, bh49. Say, i see from your signature you like the Calys and the Native 5. I I have the Caly 3.5 and was considering the Native 5. I assume you recommend that as well?

Tod
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Dodo is pure fun, if you can find one.

Stretch?

Upcoming Slealth Chap or Techno?

Lots of great choices out there.

Ken
玉鋼
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

kbuzbee wrote:Dodo is pure fun, if you can find one.

Stretch?

Upcoming Slealth Chap or Techno?

Lots of great choices out there.

Ken
Uh, yeah, you're gettin' a little rich for my blood there toward the end, what with two small boys to raise and a wife to keep happy. I do like the looks of the Techno, though. Very cool. Looks a lot like the Leaf Storm to me, except the beard at the back of the blade doesn't come down so far, so there shouldn't be so many finger slicin' & dicin' issues.

I'm looking at the Air Bradley, too, but even that's a little bit much for me to swallow in one gulp.

It's funny. I can "afford" any Spyderco in the sense that I have the financial wherewithal, but some I can't afford it in the sense of the utility I would receive in return.

As my wife and I have discussed, theoretically, we could "afford" to walk out our front door and buy a Porsche in cash, but we're not gonna. Likewise, I can afford to buy a Spyderco Lion, which I love, but I'm not paying, what?, $300 for one? Nuh-uh.

Sorry for the digression, and thanks for the suggestions. Hope this "I can afford this" and "I can afford that" stuff didn't offend. I was just musing about the economics of it all, not trying to be a jerk. My wife and I have made a pretty good life for ourselves, but our humble roots keep us pretty frugal.

Tod

Tod

(The poster so nice, they named him twice!)
Clip

Post by Clip »

GB. If I can stay away from ebay long enough I might actually get the funds to buy one!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Clip wrote:GB. If I can stay away from ebay long enough I might actually get the funds to buy one!
Yeah, the more I read about the GB, the more I want one. It's only a matter of time, I think. Thanks.

Tod
mattman

Post by mattman »

Have you considered the Sage series?

I'm thinking the Sage 2... I love the elegance of it's "simple" construction...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've never bought knives just for fun even though I'd love to. :) I want to use all my knives. Out of the knives I have bought to use the one I'd enjoy just fooling around with, open/closing, etc. is the Sage1. It is never uncomfortable no matter how long you sit there messing with it. The GB will put a hurting on your thumb, or does mine if I just open and close it constantly. The Sage1 is the smoothest and easiest I've ever had. What makes it so nice is you also have a top shelf EDC knife. That's what I'd suggest from my experience.

The only thing more "fun" would be an assisted opening folder which Spyderco doesn't have. Their automatic knives are different and illegal unless you are a police officer or mob boss. :) But I don't like any sharp object being propelled with a strong spring. I think that is for teenagers. Also, I've had more problems with them. When you add a spring like that you are increasing the liklihood of mechanical problems. I have a story to back up my feelings about that. The story is not Spyderco related. Different company.

So, go Sage1.

Jack
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

jackknifeh wrote:I've never bought knives just for fun even though I'd love to. :) I want to use all my knives. Out of the knives I have bought to use the one I'd enjoy just fooling around with, open/closing, etc. is the Sage1. It is never uncomfortable no matter how long you sit there messing with it. The GB will put a hurting on your thumb, or does mine if I just open and close it constantly. The Sage1 is the smoothest and easiest I've ever had. What makes it so nice is you also have a top shelf EDC knife. That's what I'd suggest from my experience.

The only thing more "fun" would be an assisted opening folder which Spyderco doesn't have. Their automatic knives are different and illegal unless you are a police officer or mob boss. :) But I don't like any sharp object being propelled with a strong spring. I think that is for teenagers. Also, I've had more problems with them. When you add a spring like that you are increasing the liklihood of mechanical problems. I have a story to back up my feelings about that. The story is not Spyderco related. Different company.

So, go Sage1.

Jack
Hey, Jack, thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I have a Sage 1. I like it, but don't carry it often. I don't know why, it's great. The way you go on about the Sage 4, though, you almost make me wanna fork over $200 for one. :D

You know what? I gonna go get my Sage 1 right now and see what I've been missing!

Tod
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Clip wrote:GB. If I can stay away from ebay long enough I might actually get the funds to buy one!
Just drink the coolaid and get it over with. I carried my gb today and I like it more every time I carry it, I find myself looking for something to cut whenever I have a spyderco in my pocket.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

I love my Sage's. The Sage 4, then 2, follwed by 1 really suit all my daily chores and look and feel great.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

FroOchie wrote:I love my Sage's. The Sage 4, then 2, follwed by 1 really suit all my daily chores and look and feel great.
I know what you mean. I only have the 4 and 1 but love both lead by the 4. I have always wanted the Sage2 but haven't gotten one yet. This will really sound stupid but I have too much respect for the Sage line to buy a blue one. The color seems kind of silly. See, I told you it would sound stupid. I would love to have one. Before I got the Sage1 I thought about all of them. I never decided not to get the Sage3 because of color. I bet if I got a Sage3 I know I would love it. Blue is one of my favorite colors. I even made blue G-10 scales for a black blade Manix2. Orange ones two. Black blade and orange handle just screamed "LOOK AT ME". I loved it.

Jack
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

I'll tell ya, man. I just got a Perrin the other day, and aside from being a tad heavy, it has quickly become a favorite. Awesome ergos, great slicer, and the low-rider clip make it a must have. :)
Not to mention it just looks cool as heck.
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.