Mini-Para2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

They can't do a mini Para2 sprint as it would be a totally new model. Even designing the model for a 1200 piece run would be a dead loser considering designing costs and the learning curve. IF they sell a sprint amount that is.

Besides a new model there are other offerings that would hit many of the same concepts. These are considered tactical/EDC type knives and 3" or shorter in blade: Persian2 79mm, Native5, Sage3, P'kal. Of course, the venerable Para1 has a 3.093" blade so that's a nail-file away from being legal almost anywhere with a 4mm thick blade.
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

I'd be all over a miniparamilitary!!
Even if they redesigned it w/o the 50/50 chill, I'd still get one!!!

I'll take one with navy blue FRN and m390 please :D
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
clodus

Post by clodus »

If BM Griptilian can be made to a Mini Griptilian and have been proven successful.
I just thought that Spyderco should be also make a mini para2.
A small knife can do big knife tasks, but a big knife will not be able to do small knife tasks.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

clodus wrote:If BM Griptilian can be made to a Mini Griptilian and have been proven successful.
I just thought that Spyderco should be also make a mini para2.
A small knife can do big knife tasks, but a big knife will not be able to do small knife tasks.
I really kinda thought it was the reverse all these years... :confused:
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

How would you define a Mini-Para? Is it the liner, the liner lick, and the curve of the blade and handle? I'm not sure how I'd like a liner lock on a smaller knife. I tend to go for the compression lock with smaller knives (I think that's what it's called.) So for me perfect knives are:
  • Dragon Fly for a super small pocket knife (obviously not super strong, but it's so small I don't really need strength)
  • Caly 3 for a larger daily pocket carry. It's strong with a liner and CF scales, and I really like the ZDP-189 steel.
  • Para2 for a weekend carry, trip in the woods, etc.
  • Manix2 for the same reason as a Para2, but where I expect to use it for hard work - The Para 2 is a great knife, super strong, etc - the Manix 2 just has a little better fit in my hand for lots of use and I like the blade a little better as a worker
  • Military for a big knife...purpose - I'm not sure-still getting used to it - just for fun, but definitely weekends, woods, etc. For me it's not an everyday carry knife - I live in the wrong part of town to carry anything more than a sharp pencil (legally) ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I really kinda thought it was the reverse all these years... :confused:
Same, lol.

A small knife can do most jobs but a big one is almost always more efficient. Unless you're cutting coupons with a golok that is :p .
MCM

Post by MCM »

The Para2 is a Mini. right? Mini Military......... Maybe a Micro is in order?

Unless we go the Manix2 / Manix XL - V.S - Mini Manix / Manix (orig config)

It gets confusing... :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Donut

Post by Donut »

I still think a solid bladed S sprint will be equal to a Mini Para.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

JNewell wrote:con Salsa! :spyder: ;) :D
I'm on a Salsa hunt. I want more compression locks!
TyJo

Post by TyJo »

I love the compression lock so I got the Paramilitary 2. I'd love to see that lock (best lock in my opinion) in a smaller knife, but I don't think it is practical/possible in a knife the size of the Ladybug/Dragonfly/etc. A Manbug with a compression lock would be cool, but again, I don't know how feasible/practical it would be.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It would probably be easier to get a Junior and find someone with a steady grinder hand. You could make some great little folders in various blade shapes.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

It wouldn't be a dead loser (Blerv, it may not be worth the production cost but it'd sell, I'm sure someone said this about the Endura/Delica back in the day) for running a shop to produce the knife (knives) yes it may not be worth the bother, but just as the Delica and Ladybug have their market a 'micro' para would as well, MCM has it right, the Manix went to XL, (and the Para is a mini Military) why can't the Millie line go micro?

I'm not saying its a production winner or worth the trouble, if I'm going to fight for a model it'll be a new Caspian, not any Para/Millie blade.

Redrunner, I would define a mini Para (without holding a Military/ Para/Paramilitary 2 ever) as... wait for it... the Endura. Yup, that's what I see, I wouldn't buy it because it has the Millie/Para name but a lot of Spyderco knives all compete with them self. I've seen Manix vs Para, Para vs Military, Endura vs Para or Manix, and in the end my Ladybug kicks ***! But what would I *want* to see in a micro-millie/mini-para2? That's a different question, I think that's why the Manix has the cage ball, the Para=compression, Military=Liner, and the Endura/Delica=backlock, to give us the option of what we want, what works.
There is no 'right' answer, it all depends on what we want and what we consider the best option.

Edit: if your talking blade shape or materials used I have little to say. I would just hope for any 'military' hard use knife they don't transmit impact, fail or possibly electronic charge but I use my blades in a civie aspect so hard use isn't my specialty.
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I really kinda thought it was the reverse all these years... :confused:
You're correct. It is the other way around!
dialex

Post by dialex »

Mini Paramilitary necklace anyone? ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I would love and buy it. Although I do understand the difficulties of designing a new model and it could be a long process, I'd imagine it a bit like the Persistence (the mini-para), the Tenacious (para), Resilience (mili). I think of the Persistence and Ambitious just shorter versions of the Tenacious and the Resilience a longer version. Maybe it's possible to do something similar with the 'Military' family.

And thou shall call it: Foreign volunteers/Foreign Legion or something like that. That would be fun.
Wishlist: Delica G10. Cricket SE/PE. Cat. Air
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

MCM wrote:The Para2 is a Mini. right? Mini Military......... Maybe a Micro is in order?

Unless we go the Manix2 / Manix XL - V.S - Mini Manix / Manix (orig config)

It gets confusing... :D
This ^^^. :D
clodus

Post by clodus »

Andreas wrote:I would love and buy it. Although I do understand the difficulties of designing a new model and it could be a long process, I'd imagine it a bit like the Persistence (the mini-para), the Tenacious (para), Resilience (mili). I think of the Persistence and Ambitious just shorter versions of the Tenacious and the Resilience a longer version. Maybe it's possible to do something similar with the 'Military' family.

And thou shall call it: Foreign volunteers/Foreign Legion or something like that. That would be fun.
You nailed it right on the spot! If the tenacious line can have 4 different knives.
I was hoping the military/para-military line can also add more into the family. A Persistence size should be pretty decent, I don't think going smaller that that will be practical for the military family.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

If they ever did make a mini para I would buy one for sure. It would most likely kick whatever was in my pocket out and remain there for a long time.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10