why is this?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

why is this?

Post by casey1 »

I hear very often that the Stretch is a fantastic EDC, while the Manix 2 is a good EDC, but is very heavy and overbuilt, making it better for SD. But in the "Show your EDC" thread, we see lots of Manix's and rarely a Stretch. Do people not like to carry the Stretch? Is the Manix the favorite simply for style points? Just curious as I want to purchase one of them as my next knife.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

How do you use your EDC most? Is it light cutting or heavy? Any food prep? What is your budget? All of these could play a role in the decision.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MCM

Post by MCM »

The CF Stretch is a fantastic EDC as its SUPER thin. A feature many seem to forget about.
My opinion only....... Seldom do I look in my pocket and say, sure this knife was thicker. LOL LOL
I think I have most of both mentioned as a ref point. Much prefer EDC the stretch as it carries so well. But do own several of both............
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
casey1

Post by casey1 »

mostly light tasks. could do food prep but I'm not going Bear Grylls on anything. They're both about the same price... I think I'll go with the Stretch but I was curious why the Manix is more popular
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think the leaf shape blade is a bit more popular and the value is really good for the money. If you were comparing the ZDP Stretch to the M4 Manix I would have a hard time telling you one or the other. If you are considering the VG-10 (Black FRN) vs the 154CM (Sabre Grind) I would say get the Stretch . . . . first!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Stretch FRN relative to the Manix2 and Para2 has a much quirkier look and being FRN it doesnt have the wow factor.

That said, I think it's one of the best if not the best in the line-up. The fact that it hasn't completely usurped the Endura as the big brother to the Delica speaks to the less conventional aesthetic.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Actually, the Para2 has the highest usage. It's users are too modest to brag about it :D
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

casey1 wrote:I hear very often that the Stretch is a fantastic EDC, while the Manix 2 is a good EDC, but is very heavy and overbuilt, making it better for SD. But in the "Show your EDC" thread, we see lots of Manix's and rarely a Stretch. Do people not like to carry the Stretch? Is the Manix the favorite simply for style points? Just curious as I want to purchase one of them as my next knife.
This is a very good observation and question. I had the blue ZDP-189 Stretch and carried it a lot when I first got it. It is a great knife and useful for all kinds of tasks. I never used it and thought I needed something else instead. As time went on and I got other knives I carried it less and less even though my opinion of the knife never lessened. One day I decided to sell some knives that I never used to fund new ones. The Stretch fell into the category of very seldom used but one I would never sell because I really loved it and all it's features. I still picked up something else every day though. :confused: Eventually, I did sell the Stretch because it became apparent that the knife was feeling abandoned and useless and might be happier in another home. :D

The Manix2 is another knife that I love but don't carry often for my EDC needs. I still love it just as much as the Stretch but for EDC it's a little too big. I like it as a tool box/belt knife more.

The knives I have ended up with loving and using are the Manbug (either) or Jester and the Chaparral for smaller knives. For a larger stronger knife I like the Sage4 and Gayle Bradley.

There are also obvious other choices that I have not owned or used. One big one is the Para2. Another is the D'fly. These are big time favorites that were always in the running but never crossed the finish line first when I made a decision to buy.

I compliment you Casey1 on your observation because a picture (what is carried) is worth a thousand words (what is talked about).

Jack
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have both and carry the Manix 2 much more. My usual clothing is dress casual for work and jeans or shorts on the weekend. Manix 2 is a nicer carry for me because it fits better in my pocket.

Really, I don't know why I don't carry the Stretch more outside of the fact that I have my stretch in my Spyderpac and it isn't out for me to choose for my daily rotation.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Only the various iterations of the para 2 kicked the blue stretch out of my LFP where it had tenure.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote:I had the blue ZDP-189 Stretch and carried it a lot when I first got it. It is a great knife and useful for all kinds of tasks. ... The Stretch fell into the category of very seldom used ... Eventually, I did sell the Stretch
I hear you Jack. I kinda went through exactly the same exercise (mentally instead of physically ;) ) I love the blade shape. Hands down my favorite. VG10 is nice. I never warmed up to ZDP. No idea why. I was excited when it came out, but the three I tried never saw more than occasional use. FRN is fine but doesn't make we WANT to buy a knife. Then the Gayle Bradley shipped and kinda squashed any desire I had for a Stretch. Now that Sal is talking about doing a Super Blue Stretch, I have a reason to buy one (okay 2 ;) ) so we'll see, but I anticipate this will see significant use.

As to the Manix 2. With the sole exception of the CF model, I haven't been nearly as happy with the CBBL as I was with the BBL. they are on the large side for my tastes and just don't get carried.

Ken
玉鋼
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

kbuzbee wrote:I haven't been nearly as happy with the CBBL as I was with the BBL
Don't mean to hijack, but I'm curious why you say this. Is it a looks thing, a feel thing, or something else?
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I carry the Stretch a lot, but mostly on the weekends. It is a bit too big for carry with my suit and tie in the office. I find it an extremely comfortable knife to use. Light weight, fits the hand like a glove, nice belly on the blade. I also added an STR titanium lowrider clip to it so that it disappears into my pocket, making it the perfect stealth knife with jeans. I've posted the pictures here before, but here they are again:

TedP

P.S. - Jack, I love the new photo of your grandson Jackson!

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

phillipsted wrote:...I also added an STR titanium lowrider clip to it so that it disappears into my pocket, making it the perfect stealth knife...
Thanks for the reminder Ted, I have got to get me some of those STR clips for various models I have.
*Landon*
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

tvenuto wrote:Don't mean to hijack, but I'm curious why you say this. Is it a looks thing, a feel thing, or something else?
Purely a feel thing. The BBL fits how my hand works (one handed, thumb only) The CBBL (CF aside) seems a bit more finicky to disengage. Great design, just (vastly) prefer the BBL.

Ken
玉鋼
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

All I can say is, I've been a major fan of the Stretch since it first came out in 2004 and one version or another of it has been in my back pocket at least 75% of the time for the last seven and a half years. To me, its handle has just the right amount of structure, hand stops at both ends, but nothing in between to force individual finger positions. All the various Manix handles, on the other hand, have that additional finger separator that just doesn't feel right in my hand. That style handle is also one of the reasons I prefer the Stretch over the R.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

CF Stretch is my absolute nr. 1 EDC. I do carry others as well but the Stretch has seen about 80% pockettime since I bought it in 2008 IIRC.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

My Stretch gets carried more during hunting season and not usually as my EDC. While I like its ergonomics I prefer the Manix lightweight or an Endura IV for EDC tasks. Something about the blade shape I guess, though I'd be hard pressed on coming up with a concrete reason.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I like folding knives that are robust and very durable in construction... the Spyderco Manix2 fits that description. The only thing better than a Manix2 is the full-size Spyderco Manix XL, or, even better, the original Spyderco C95 Manix. And, at least for me, the only other :spyder: that comes close to tying or exceeding the Manix series is the Spyderco Military.

I do like the Spyderco Stretch, I do have perhaps three of them (all different in some way), but I'll take the Manix series of :spyder: s over the Stretch series any day.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I carry my Stretch a couple days a week. It's one of my top 5 favorite Spydercos. I think a lot of EDC pocket dumps get tuned to show off more exotic or fancier things, though. I know I've been guilty of that a few times.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.