Need 8 x 32 binocular input

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
2cha

Need 8 x 32 binocular input

Post by 2cha »

Going to Kenya, (looking not shooting) seeking 8 x 32 binocular choices NOT made in China--Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss out of price range. Ok to spend $500, willing to spend a bit more if it's worth it, or if I must to escape Chinese manufacture. So far I'm leaning toward Kowa or Alpen (both made in Japan). Your experience with Kowa, Alpen or any others that meet the criteria would be helpful and appreciated.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Honesty, I have a pair of nikon 8x32 and I love them. I thnk they were $69.00. Yes I bet all the 500 dollar glass in worth it but Im very happy with my purchase.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I'm afraid I'll have to dissapoint you, but many quality binoculars are nowadays made in China.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

dialex wrote:I'm afraid I'll have to dissapoint you, but many quality binoculars are nowadays made in China.
I didn't raise the issue of quality. From the research I've done so far, with binoculars, highest quality for $ spent will be of chinese manufacture. I morally don't want to give the chinese any more of my money. I'd rather my money go to places where the political, social and economic system is not at odds with my personal beliefs. I don't buy the story that goods of equal quality are equal goods, or that goods are divorced from the conditions in which they are produced the second they leave the factory.
marcdurant

Post by marcdurant »

I'm a huge fan of Vortex optics - they're based in Wisconsin although most of their products are manufactured in either Japan or China. Your best bet to identify a Japan model is to give them a call and ask.

I'd also put in a recommendation for Leupold - my wife uses a pair of Katmai 8x32 for work (wildlife biologist). Leupold used to be 100% made in Oregon, although I'm not sure if that's still true.

No experience with Kowa or Alpen.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

My experience for good quality glass (at least for bird watching) has been the Leica Ultravid 8x42.

When I took ornithology in graduate school, the professor said 7x35s were fine, 8x40s gave the best compromise for magnification, steadiness, and light gathering capability in low light conditions, and that 10x50s were to be avoided unless you bought Zeiss or Leica.

Yes, the German glass is expensive, and I've been pleased with my purchase. That's my opinion.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Shike

Post by Shike »

I have the Pentax PCF 10x 50 and I am very pleased with them and at @ $200.00 or a bit less they won't break the bank.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have Pentax 8x roof prism and they work well. I have read a lot about Nikon and they make some good glass too.

There are advantages to both but IIRC Porro prism binocs are cheaper. It seems that for most people something like 8x40 is the best combination. Some people can get by with up to 10 power but anything over that is difficult to use without a tripod- I bought some Pentax 12x50 to keep in my office to look down on the freeway with and they are a little too much magnification.

I have wondered if a person wouldn't be better off with stabilized binocs but I have not actually tried them, I just know how much advantage there is to stabilized camera lenses.