Two questions re: The esee/rat 3

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Knifewing

Two questions re: The esee/rat 3

Post by Knifewing »

I'm thinking about getting an Esee 3 PE (MIL?) and in searching the various sites to buy one on the net I've come across both the newer Esee blade logo version and the older Rat version--priced about the same. But I have a couple of questions: (1) Is there any difference between the two? And (2) what is the difference (if any) between the MIL model and the standard Esee/Rat 3? Thanks for any info you can provide.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Yes and Yes but I can't tell you what the difference is. I know Esee is warranted forever.
Clip

Post by Clip »

As far as the logos, RAT just rebranded to ESEE a little while ago. I kind of liked the older triangular one better. When I got my RC4 a while ago it said it came with a lifetime warranty.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Donut

Post by Donut »

RAT (Randall's Adventure Training) was renamed to ESEE about a year ago. The knives are exactly the same, same warranty and everything. Now... Ontario was licensed to make some of their designs for a while.

RAT were named: RC-3, RC-4, RC-5, RC-6.
ESEE are named: ESEE-3, ESEE-4, ESEE-5, ESEE-6.
Ontario were named: RAT-3, RAT-4, RAT-5... (There might be more like a 7 and whatnot.)

I have a RAT-3, but I'm not sure what the warranty is on it, I don't expect it to be spectacular.

Here is a link of what I could find from the RAT/ESEE forum about the differences:

http://jungletraining.com/forums/showth ... #post48533

And a random statement:

http://jungletraining.com/forums/showth ... #post48573

I know there was a whole thread on the differences, but I couldn't find it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

The ESEE 3 and RC-3 are made by ESEE(Randalls Advanture Training), a RAT-3 is made by Ontario. Only the ESEE 3 and RC-3 carry the ESEE lifetime warranty.

The differences between the Mil and regular model arent that big, but noticeable. The MIL model comes with the standard sheath, plus the MOLLE back, canvas micarta scales, and is only available in a black blade coating. It also has a sharpened glass breaker pommel.
The regular ESEE 3 or RC-3 comes in a variety of colors with scales that vary from canvas micarta to orange g-10.
They also have 2 different kinds of pommels. The regular, which looks like the MIL, but it unsharpened, and the modified, which is rounded.
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Thanks for all this info--especially about the difference between the Ontario manufacture and the Esee/RC. This really helps me in ordering one--it gets confusing, not to mention frustrating finding the exact configuration/coloration I want. Everybody seems to have different variations at different prices.

BTW: Anyone have strong preferences for the pommel variations? I've read that the sharpened one isn't all that sharp though the standard pointed one looks pretty pointy. The modified round pommel seems like it would be more comfortable in your palm.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I only have one with a sharpened pommel, the 5 and it is very shallow, not very pointy.

Check out "the knife connection" he is a very good dealer, good prices, free shipping, very fast shipping, good communication. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!