Piston AR

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
VashHash

Piston AR

Post by VashHash »

I was looking for a bull pup rifle but Steyr stopped making the A3s for now. I'm looking at piston driven ARs leaning towards LWRC maybe even stag arms for a cheaper option. Anyone have experience with these rifles . I guess pricing is about $2000 give or take. Any other suggestions appreciated also. I did consider the Kel-Tec RFB but it's not available with a longer barrel yet. I'm leaning towards 5.56/.223 but the LWRC does have the option of purchasing just the 6.8 upper too. Remember PISTON driven. I know everyone has their opinion on which is better but I'm looking for piston driven. Also the H&K civilian model 416 is not an option.
The Student

Post by The Student »

I own both a Stag and a LWRC. I have owned 5 Stags 1 piston and 4 DI and never had any problems with them. The LWRC was my first piston and I still shoot it from time to time in 3 gun comp. but I like the Stag for the value and service. The 6.8 is a nice round and all but I don't deer hunt and can't see it as anything other than a deer round. Both rifles are great but I don't like the piston AR's all that much or AR's for that matter. That's just my 2 cents
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I don't feel like building one right now. like I said in would prefer a bull pup but it doesn't seem to be an option right now. The stag is half the price of the lwrc and comes with the flip up sights and so if I spent 2000 I would be fully set with an optic too and extra magazines
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

Check out the Ruger SR556. Had one for about a year and really liked it. I think they are going for about $1500 nowadays. I have also heard good things about Rock River PDS which goes for about $1600.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Not really looking for. 308, but I figure at 2000 I would be able to get an optic and be pretty set up if I go for an AR in the 1000 range. I was looking at lwrc because they have a good reputation but for a grand less the stag might be better I'm gonna go to some shops soon and see what they're going for locally
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have two Bushmasters and they are fine guns. You'll want two. One in the G4 format and another one a little heavier in flat top for scope mounting. However if you want only one get the removable carrying handle/sight model that you can mount a scope on. I think Remington bought out Bushmaster so either one would be ok.
The Student

Post by The Student »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I think Remington bought out Bushmaster so either one would be ok.
Yes Remington has owed Bushmaster for about 2 years now but I don't know if that's a good thing. Don't get me wrong most of my long distance comp rifles use the 700 as a base platform, but I feel that Bushmasters QC has dropped since they were bought out.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

well it's gonna be a little bit before i can get one but i definitely wanna do some hands on with a few different models and see how they feel. The LWRC might be kinda hard though i don't think many people carry those around here.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Anonymous wrote:You can't really go wrong with any of them so I'd just go for the one that you like the best. I've never really heard any bad things about any of the company's as far as the ar-15's go anyways.....Armalite, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, LWRC, etc.
Agree, or Daniel Defense.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

The LWRC M6 is a great platform to build on, no matter what direction you want to go. I've used them pretty thoroughly, and have always been pleased. POF is another very good direction.

Why is the HK not an option? (Although I'd choose an LWRC first, just curious.)
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I had an LMT in hand, but ended up with Colt M4. The LMT is awesome and within budget. I've wanted to get my hands on the Ruger FB too. The bolt carrier and bolt are chromed to make for easier cleaning. After cleaning my M4 a handful of times, I do wish I'd gone with both a PD and chromed bolt/carrier. Total pita to clean std. M4.
BAL

Post by BAL »

2cha wrote:I had an LMT in hand, but ended up with Colt M4. The LMT is awesome and within budget. I've wanted to get my hands on the Ruger FB too. The bolt carrier and bolt are chromed to make for easier cleaning. After cleaning my M4 a handful of times, I do wish I'd gone with both a PD and chromed bolt/carrier. Total pita to clean std. M4.
In your opinion 2cha, is the Colt worth the extra coin. It all depends on what and how much you use it,
what else you have etc etc, but I was just curious. I worked with a guy who's father in law had countless
AR's and they said that the Colt was as good as it gets. Of course, everone has different opinions.
Thanks
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I like the 416 but not a fan of how they made the civilian model. H&K has a way of ruining their civilian model firearms. If I went through a class 3 dealer I could possibly get a 416 but fully auto rifles are pretty pricey. So 2cha you're saying you wish you had gone piston driven instead of direct impingement?
2cha

Post by 2cha »

BAL wrote:In your opinion 2cha, is the Colt worth the extra coin. It all depends on what and how much you use it,
what else you have etc etc, but I was just curious. I worked with a guy who's father in law had countless
AR's and they said that the Colt was as good as it gets. Of course, everone has different opinions.
Thanks
It was to me. I have a pretty good relationship with my dealer and he pushed it pretty hard especially on quality control issues-of course, he is a salesman. In stock at time he also had DPMS, Sig 516(?), LMT in DI and PD--Colt was low middle price wise, so it genuinely seemed like he wanted a happy customer. I'm a good customer too and he knows that From experience that if the gun isn't right, that I will have him send it back. If I had to do it over again, I,d either get the Colt or the PD by LMT. I just cleaned the Colt again and it goes much quicker with practice.
The Student

Post by The Student »

AR's are a pita to clean no matter what. The piston guns are going to run much cleaner longer and you will avoid a lot of carbon build up on the internals. I find the piston stays relatively clean also, but needs to be adjusted properly to stay that way, and with certain ammo that can be a challenge. Some ammo is inconsistently loaded, but still within tolerances, and you get some short strokes and stovepipes if your piston isn't in the right setting. I do believe that the piston is the way of the future, but to me it's not worth the extra price.
BAL

Post by BAL »

2cha wrote:It was to me. I have a pretty good relationship with my dealer and he pushed it pretty hard especially on quality control issues-of course, he is a salesman. In stock at time he also had DPMS, Sig 516(?), LMT in DI and PD--Colt was low middle price wise, so it genuinely seemed like he wanted a happy customer. I'm a good customer too and he knows that From experience that if the gun isn't right, that I will have him send it back. If I had to do it over again, I,d either get the Colt or the PD by LMT. I just cleaned the Colt again and it goes much quicker with practice.
Thanks for the info 2cha.