Spyderco Bug on Taichung MFG knives.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lbwheat

Spyderco Bug on Taichung MFG knives.

Post by lbwheat »

I've been a Spyderco collector ever since I bought the first Worker so, I notice little things about the designs and finishes of the different models. Lately It's the bug on the Taichung models from Taiwan. I really like the way the bug has been lasered into the blade. Looking at it in the right light or better with some magnification you see it is work of art. The bug is almost 3D or at least Intaglio instead of flat.I have four different models of these now.
Great touch Sal. Spyderco is always the leader in my knife collection as well as my carry knifes.As of current my carry pieces are Chapparral and Caly 3.

Thanks Sal and company.
LB Wheat
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

There's a macro photo here somewhere, but the bug is etched in a circular pattern while most others are composed of horizontal lines.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Lbwheat,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum and thanx for your kind comments.

We work with a few makers in different parts of the world in addition to our factory in Golden. Each of the makers is capable of the high quality we require, but each also has their own "tricks" for doing different operations. Always an interesting stiudy.

sal

Post by 1623 »

Recently while cleaning and inspecting my Sage 1 after a round on the SM, I noticed something really interesting; the relief of the Bug logo actually looks like a Spider web.

If you hold the blade at an angle in good lighting it's clearly visible and uber cool.

-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

1623 wrote:Recently while cleaning and inspecting my Sage 1 after a round on the SM, I noticed something really interesting; the relief of the Bug logo actually looks like a Spider web.
Thanks for the heads up. I checked my Sage I and found the same thing. I'll have to check my GB later.
This is just another cool thing about collecting Spydercos.
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Taichung bugs rule!

I also really like the gold in the bug on the Caly Jr.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

jzmtl wrote:There's a macro photo here somewhere, but the bug is etched in a circular pattern while most others are composed of horizontal lines.
A while back, I took a pic of this bug after cleaning the knife (with a red cloth, you can tell that :) ) and showed it somewhere here. That's the pic:

IIRC, it is actually the blade of one of my Chokwes.

Although I thought I've had enough Taichun made knives, I have recently been sneaking around the Sage 4 (well, its pic on the CS site, that is).... ;)

But just today, my orange Sprint Run Para2 arrived, so I will cherish this one for a while before buying the next one... hopefully.

cheers
Dennis
BAL

Post by BAL »

Funny, cause I got a little bug once on a trip to Tiawan,
but that a whole different story that the wife's never heard of,
so I guess that it never happened....... nevermind.