Sal any update on kitchen knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The Carpenter steel Sal plans to use is similar to the 9Cr18Mo used on the MT5. I use one of those mules in our kitchen and it holds it's edge better than anything else we own except my $100 Shun. Rc 59 and thin sounds like a great knife for Every Day Cooking.
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

Ferris Wheels wrote:Would absolutely love to see a sprint run of kitchen knives in super blue!!!!
I have thinned a mule Super Blue and it lives in the kitchen, doing great work. However, I wonder if Spyderco will want to be a bit more conservative with steel choice due to the average user's fear of corrosion.

EDIT: sorry, I missed that you were talking about a sprint run- that would be cool.
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
Papa_K

Post by Papa_K »

Sorry. I really don't want a non-stainless kitchen knife. Sorry also that Spyderco doesn't produce a set of kitchen knives - Japanesse-made...VG-10... blah, blah, blah, as required.

THis is not a rage against the machine... that woud produce a singular $500 knife ---- Which would obviousuly be worth the price... no matter what it was.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I don't think a non-stainless knife would be a good catalogged item but I do think a sprint every year using a different blade profile each time would be awesome. I like buying knives that are different than what everyone else has and standout.

Let me know if you need any real world testers Sal :D
FarmerSteve

Post by FarmerSteve »

Several Japanese knife makers have used the super blue w/ kitchen knives. I for one would be interested. Maybe as a sprint :p
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Can you provide the names of some of the makers that have produced super blue kitchen cutlery? I wouldn't mind checking some of their designs out.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Ferris Wheels wrote:Can you provide the names of some of the makers that have produced super blue kitchen cutlery? I wouldn't mind checking some of their designs out.
Murray Carter is one of the best.
http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanese-k ... en-cutlery
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I think I will have to hold out and hope that spyderco does a super blue sprint because those Murray carter ones are beautiful and out of my price range. I am sure they are well worth it and maybe one will hang in my kitchen someday.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
clodus

Post by clodus »

Shall Spyderco create an entry level kitchen knife set at an affordable price. I will definitely be buying these.
The bug bite is starting to get strong on me. If its a knife that I want, I must be spyderco.
Hopefully Spyderco will make more fixed blade options.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

xavierdoc wrote:I have thinned a mule Super Blue and it lives in the kitchen, doing great work. However, I wonder if Spyderco will want to be a bit more conservative with steel choice due to the average user's fear of corrosion.

EDIT: sorry, I missed that you were talking about a sprint run- that would be cool.
I am on the hunt for a Mule team in Super Blue to add to my kitchen knives. So far the only place I have even seen one is on the bay' and I don't want to cough up the cheddar they are bringing on there yet.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Davidig

Post by Davidig »

If you are interested in trying SB steel in a kitchen knife Hiromoto makes some great knives that are less expensive than the Carters. It was my first real Japanse chefs knife, and still one of my favorites. My Shun is used to collect dust. Chefknivestogo, is a great retailer as well.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hiromotoknives.html
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Davidig wrote:If you are interested in trying SB steel in a kitchen knife Hiromoto makes some great knives that are less expensive than the Carters. It was my first real Japanse chefs knife, and still one of my favorites. My Shun is used to collect dust. Chefknivestogo, is a great retailer as well.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hiromotoknives.html
Thank you for the resource, I can stomach those prices a lot better than the carters (would love to have one but out of my price range).
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

I believe 'MC66' core on these is actually ZDP 189. Not as cool as the Japanese designs, but nice in their own right and less expensive.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/henckels- ... ife-p19686
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Yes they are, 65~67 HRC, crazy. Probably the cheapest ZDP kitchen knife you'll ever find, any japanese brand will go for 2~3x as much easily.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Ferris Wheels wrote:Thank you for the resource, I can stomach those prices a lot better than the carters (would love to have one but out of my price range).
Kanetsune KC-120 series also made with blue steel
http://www.kanetsune.com/index.php?id=331
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Looks like I am going to have to get a few more knives in the kitchen and put them through their paces to see which ones I like the best.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

bh49 wrote:Kanetsune KC-120 series also made with blue steel
http://www.kanetsune.com/index.php?id=331
I love translations... These kanetsune aogami blue steel knives have "black plywood handles". :eek: I'm sure this is a laminated wood product like pakkawood or something similar - but the term "plywood" has different connotations for some of us...

Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

phillipsted wrote:I love translations... These kanetsune aogami blue steel knives have "black plywood handles". :eek: I'm sure this is a laminated wood product like pakkawood or something similar - but the term "plywood" has different connotations for some of us...
I noticed the plywood handles also and agree it must be a form of pakkawood.
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

I think the idea of sprint run knives for a nice kitchen block could bring a level of intoxication that could bring around a new market. I can think of a few that to me would be awesome additions as the set would progress for the block. This could end up being something that not only would people be proud of their kitchen knives, but also play the lego routine of showing personality.

Think if there were a set of steak knives one year in H1 Steel and had CF with SS bolsters?
Or a Santouku that was released with IronWood Handles and SuperBlue?
Or a Santouku with CF and VG10?
Or even a Chef Knife in Elmax, or CPM154 with Stone handles, like Coral, or Pearl and Abalone?
Anyone be down for a S90v Utility Knife?
What about a triangle sharpening rod that could fit in the block?
The possibilities could be offered over time and allow for some of these more costly steels to be released for those that want something special.

This type of idea could bring a whole new marketshare for Spyderco, and agree it would be hard to implement when it comes to tooling, but a investment of 2 grand over a few years could be an awesome centerpiece for the kitchen that I know I would personally use everyday. As I still use my Santouku everyday eventhough it is showing her age. The block could even have variations. The pick and pull mentality of having lower priced entry level knives to grab, or going more high end on knives could be something that can pull on the hobby of collecting, but also something that can and probably would be used on a daily basis.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'd dig a set of kitchen knives priced individually and a knife magnet strip with a bug etched into the middle :)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!