CPM-S35VN and CrimsonTideShooter test

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It would be funny if it didn't really affect a bunch of people's opinion on the steel. A lot are still convinced it's defective steel even though there have been dozens of posts on different threads talking about good service from the steel. Hopefully the large amount of high end folders pouring into the market will straighten the whole situation out but it's legend now. People will be asking about CPM S35VN's "troubles" and poor performance 5 years from now due to this. People tend to really remember things they hear that are bad much more than they recall the great stuff people say.

Because of you tube and forums one person can now "prove" how terrible any product is. It would hopefully not get to the point that a steel would get sh!# canned over something like this but the possibility exists that a substantial number of prospective buyers will avoid a steel due to a you tube performance. In years to come people who don't know how to sharpen a steel properly will be using that "evidence" to show how the steel is lousy, defective and QC is slipping which could definitely affect a companies W&R return bottom line. Not much you can do with a returned knife with a buggered up blade that was returned and approved just to shut a guy up on a forum.

Then again perhaps my cynicism is showing here. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

There isn't really anything wrong with S35VN other than it's still new so not all the information on what's best as far as the HT and tempering goes is set yet.

In time that will change possibly.
BAL

Post by BAL »

The Mastiff wrote:It would be funny if it didn't really affect a bunch of people's opinion on the steel. A lot are still convinced it's defective steel even though there have been dozens of posts on different threads talking about good service from the steel. Hopefully the large amount of high end folders pouring into the market will straighten the whole situation out but it's legend now. People will be asking about CPM S35VN's "troubles" and poor performance 5 years from now due to this. People tend to really remember things they hear that are bad much more than they recall the great stuff people say.

Because of you tube and forums one person can now "prove" how terrible any product is. It would hopefully not get to the point that a steel would get sh!# canned over something like this but the possibility exists that a substantial number of prospective buyers will avoid a steel due to a you tube performance. In years to come people who don't know how to sharpen a steel properly will be using that "evidence" to show how the steel is lousy, defective and QC is slipping which could definitely affect a companies W&R return bottom line. Not much you can do with a returned knife with a buggered up blade that was returned and approved just to shut a guy up on a forum.

Joe
Joe, sadly I believe that you are correct. One person can fire something negative out into
space and people read it on forums, videos, twitter etc and somehow it becomes fact.
I am all for technology and progress, but sometimes I wonder where it is leading us.

Oh Andy and Barney where are you when we need you.
Lagrangian

Post by Lagrangian »

Ideally, in such a case, where a single post about a product defect becomes pervasively posted around the web, the company and the original poster follow-up to see what the truth is. And then post the follow-up to the web and/or others follow-up with their own testing. And hopefully, that follow-ups get as much circulation.
--------------------------------
"What grit sharpens the mind?"
--Zen Sharpening Koan
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Ankerson wrote:There isn't really anything wrong with S35VN other than it's still new so not all the information on what's best as far as the HT and tempering goes is set yet.

In time that will change possibly.
And that about sums it up. A questionable review is not all bad. It got me to order a Native 5, just to see what the ****. ;)
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Lagrangian wrote:And hopefully, that follow-ups get as much circulation.
It won't, it is as simple as that. When a defect is reported, especially if it is reported in a dramatic manner then this catches attention, people want to read about failures and defects, it is the nature of the human condition.

A followup post which for example notes that is just an isolated case, or was due to poor testing methodology, etc. is quite frankly very boring to most people in comparison so it simply will not become nearly as "viral" as the original claim.

The most you can hope for is that the original poster annotates the original post, video, html page, etc. with the proper updates.
Lagrangian

Post by Lagrangian »

Cliff Stamp wrote:It won't, it is as simple as that. When a defect is reported, especially if it is reported in a dramatic manner then this catches attention, people want to read about failures and defects, it is the nature of the human condition.

A followup post which for example notes that is just an isolated case, or was due to poor testing methodology, etc. is quite frankly very boring to most people in comparison so it simply will not become nearly as "viral" as the original claim.

The most you can hope for is that the original poster annotates the original post, video, html page, etc. with the proper updates.
Hi Cliff Stamp,

I agree. Just being a little foolishly hopeful now and then.

Sincerely,
--Lagrangian.
--------------------------------
"What grit sharpens the mind?"
--Zen Sharpening Koan
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Also, following up a review with a retraction statement is admitting a lack of perfection. Since most people have an affinity for saving face over finding fact, well ;) .

Ultimately right or wrong it's troubling when the company president begs for a model to be brought in. In the rare case something is wrong and nothing is done the consumer suffers.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

N=1, but I just got a CRK Sikayo recently in S35VN and the **** thing cuts like the first run burgundy ZDP-189 Caly Jr I had (and beat to death) ages ago. I hope Spyderco upgrades to it from S30V.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
datoudaw

Post by datoudaw »

The Mastiff wrote:It would be funny if it didn't really affect a bunch of people's opinion on the steel. A lot are still convinced it's defective steel even though there have been dozens of posts on different threads talking about good service from the steel. Hopefully the large amount of high end folders pouring into the market will straighten the whole situation out but it's legend now. People will be asking about CPM S35VN's "troubles" and poor performance 5 years from now due to this. People tend to really remember things they hear that are bad much more than they recall the great stuff people say.

Joe
Did not buy any S35VN knife or steel. I felt the YouTube report was "authoritative" when it was reported negatively. ( how sily! ) Thank you for your posting, as always. ( Hope I can remember this thread long enough. )