Manbug vs. Ladybug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which do you prefer?

Ladybug
50%
Manbug
50%

Total votes: 32

Evil D

Manbug vs. Ladybug

Post by Evil D »

I finally got to handle a Manbug, and i can't say i love it. A while back i actually lobbied to get this knife made, i wanted a Ladybug that had thicker blade stock and a stronger pivot, and that's basically what this is. I like everything about it except for the shape of the blade. You could actually skin a deer with this little knife, which is great for some but personally i prefer the Ladybug's blade shape over the extreme upsweep that the Manbug has. I guess for now i'm sticking with my ZDP Ladybug and i'm holding my breath for a wharnie version of either of them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I will say that I prefer the tip of the LB...and in a FRN to FRN comparison I will stick with the LB...but once you get the G10 going, the MB is a heck of a good little knife.
On the hunt for...
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Ladybug. For the exact same reasons that Evil D mentioned. Not a fan of the extreme upsweep blade shape. But I do like the build of the G10 Manbug, with the bolsters, liners, etc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jay_Ev wrote:Ladybug. For the exact same reasons that Evil D mentioned. Not a fan of the extreme upsweep blade shape. But I do like the build of the G10 Manbug, with the bolsters, liners, etc.

Yeah, that's why i'm PRAYING that someday a wharnie comes out, because a wharnie/bolstered/G10 Manbug would kick major butt.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I was really looking forward to buying a manbug, until I saw it next to a ladybug. I don't why, but I expected the manbug to be a bit bigger, I was really disappointed that it is not. The blade shape is okay with me, but I was really hoping for a bigger little knife. No big deal, I have two ladybugs and I love em.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

The Manbug G-10 is really a great little knife--especially for travel to places like Chicago with restrictive knife laws. But even as a small EDC it's pretty darn good. My main dilemma (re a knife that size) is the G-10 Jester vs the G-10 Manbug. For me, that's a tougher choice than Manbug cs. Ladybug.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd take the G-10 Manbug over the Ladybug for pocket carry but, in truth, my first choice if I wanted something that small in my pocket would be my turquoise and ivory Jester. For key ring use, I'd take the FRN Ladybug over the FRN Manbug, but only if every Micarta and FRN Jester in my collection were to suddenly disappear.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BAL

Post by BAL »

Thanks for the discussions here, I have been looking at both of these
for the boy. I have the ladybug, but was wondering about the manbug.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Deacon wrote:I'd take the G-10 Manbug over the Ladybug for pocket carry but, in truth, my first choice if I wanted something that small in my pocket would be my turquoise and ivory Jester. For key ring use, I'd take the FRN Ladybug over the FRN Manbug, but only if every Micarta and FRN Jester in my collection were to suddenly disappear.
We have a winner! Yes, Jester above all!

I envy your Jester collection, Paul. For me, it falls into a whole different catagory.

More Jesters, Sal! ;) (please?)

Ken
玉鋼
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

Azwaiian wrote:I was really looking forward to buying a manbug, until I saw it next to a ladybug. I don't why, but I expected the manbug to be a bit bigger, I was really disappointed that it is not. The blade shape is okay with me, but I was really hoping for a bigger little knife. No big deal, I have two ladybugs and I love em.
The Manbug might not look much different than a ladybug but when you feel it in hand you will realize the difference. Manbug all the way for me :D
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I just got a FRN Manbug recently and really like it. The texture on the FRN is wonderful. It feels very solid and capable in my hand. I never got that feeling with my Ladybug salt. I'll admit I'm not a big fan of the larger belly. But, it wouldn't take a lot of time to use coarse stones to "sharpen" it into a straighter edge. I have thought about it but I'm going to leave it as is until I run into a few times that the belly makes cutting something a little more difficult. I haven't handled the G-10 Manbug but I'm sure it's a great knife.

I believe the Ladybug is a capable knife. However, that opinion comes more from the testimonies from people here on the forum than from my own experience. While I carried my Ladybug salt I didn't use it much because whenever I went to use it I just never got the gut feeling of a sturdy knife. That was ok I figured since it was a keychain knife. Well, the gut feeling I get from the FRN Manbug is "solid". I get that feeling from my own handling and using of the knife.

Manbug over Ladybug for me. But, if you include the Jester that's my choice so far. I've had a Jester for a while and love it. I really like the spine shape with the jimping near the tip.

Take the blade of the Jester, put it on the Manbug and I believe that would be nice.

Jack
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Ladybug has always been just a tad too small to fit comfortably in my hands. It always felt a bit awkward and I ended up adding small (2 in) lanyards and Atwood Lanslides to the end - giving me a little more grip with my ring/pinky finger. (similar to the Solo in my signature pic)

The Manbug is just enough bigger that it fits in my hand more securely. I like it a lot - although I haven't laid hands on a G10 version yet...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Take the blade of the Jester, put it on the Manbug and I believe that would be nice.

I made the above statement in a previous post not remembering the Jester having the 2mm blade. So, if the blade shape of the Jester was put on the Manbug, thicken it or don't consider it IMO. I love everything about the Jester. I also really like the FRN Manbug a lot. I think you could put the big belly of the Manbug on a coarse stone diet and it would loose weight. :) I hope I never hold a G-10 Manbug because I'll probably realize I have to have one to keep the sun coming up in the mornings. :)

Jack