Ti lockbars heat treated?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scottie3000

Ti lockbars heat treated?

Post by Scottie3000 »

Are the titanium lockbar faces on Spyderco models such as the Ti Military and Sage 2 heat treated for wear resistance?
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Franco G

Post by Franco G »

Scottie3000 wrote:Are the titanium lockbar faces on Spyderco models such as the Ti Military and Sage 2 heat treated for wear resistance?
It was my question too. I never got an answer. My guess is no. It would move, guess, the prices towards Sebenza prise. But, I would rather pay more and have heat treated lockbar.

Franco
Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands
clockman

Post by clockman »

Scottie3000Are the titanium lockbar faces on Spyderco models such as the Ti Military and Sage 2 heat treated for wear resistance?

I think the only person qualified to answer this question is Sal. All other

answers will be opinoins.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I hope so! I got a TI Millie last weekend and a Ppt a few months ago.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I have lots of titanium linerlocks and framelocks, wear has never been an issue. After a little use the ti "wears in" and does not seem to wear anymore beyond that. I don't think it's necessary for most knives.

I have a couple of Sebenzas, now they have their own system and it works for them.

You get a super knife at a good price in a sage 2, it won't wear out unless you abuse it.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
MCM

Post by MCM »

Good question.
Can't wait to get my M4 Military & find out?
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
cbb

Post by cbb »

This question is still relevant. Anyone know at this point?
Thanks.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Buy a lionspy or millie with steel insert and be done with it.

If they were heat treated they would advertise them as such, no?
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Does it matter if they are heat treated when Spyderco is using a steel insert at the end of the ti lock bars now (well, not for the Sage 2, but Ti Milli and Lionspy)? I am not sure what heat treatment would add in terms of function. The whole scale would have to be heat treated. My limited understanding of titanium is that this might make it more brittle for any hardness gained. Would this be a good thing for a part that flexes?
MrOverkill

Post by MrOverkill »

A better solution than heat-treatment is carbidization or Tungsten Carbide welding. Creates a highly wear resistant surface.

I don't know about Spyderco's current system, but Tungsten is the better solution.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mikerestivo wrote:Does it matter if they are heat treated when Spyderco is using a steel insert at the end of the ti lock bars now (well, not for the Sage 2, but Ti Milli and Lionspy)? I am not sure what heat treatment would add in terms of function. The whole scale would have to be heat treated. My limited understanding of titanium is that this might make it more brittle for any hardness gained. Would this be a good thing for a part that flexes?
AFAIK, when it's done, it's done selectively, to just the "working" tip of the lockbar. Whether or not that's the case, Chris Reeve does it on all his knives, so I doubt there's any negative effect on the lockbar or handle slab. No idea whether Spyderco does it or not, but I'd assume if they don't it's because they feel the benefits are too negligible to justify the increased cost.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

This is why spyderco is switching to steel inserts on the ti models. Better wear resistance and you can replace them this would really add to the life of a knife
mil

Post by mil »

MrOverkill wrote:A better solution than heat-treatment is carbidization or Tungsten Carbide welding. Creates a highly wear resistant surface.

I don't know about Spyderco's current system, but Tungsten is the better solution.
wouldn't that just cause excess wear on the tang of the blade?
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I don't think titanium can be heat treated effectively. Remember reading about people making knives out of titanium... rc was like 45s?
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The Deacon wrote:AFAIK, when it's done, it's done selectively, to just the "working" tip of the lockbar. Whether or not that's the case, Chris Reeve does it on all his knives, so I doubt there's any negative effect on the lockbar or handle slab. No idea whether Spyderco does it or not, but I'd assume if they don't it's because they feel the benefits are too negligible to justify the increased cost.
Very interesting. This has peaked my curiousity now. I would like to see the process of how they focus the heat treatment to the end of the lockbar.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Ti in lockbars is usually 6AL4V and it is tough and does not need to be HTed...
It does gall in contact with moving material harder that it, and that is perfect for holding the blade in place, as its springiness does most of the work...

It you replace it with a harder material than the blade steel, then the blade will wear quicker than with just the Ti rubbing against it...

Comprimises are hard decisions...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mikerestivo wrote:Very interesting. This has peaked my curiousity now. I would like to see the process of how they focus the heat treatment to the end of the lockbar.
Just a guess, but it probably goes something like this. Cut and shape the handle slab, fit the detent ball, bend the lockbar, shape the lockbar tip, then treat the tip as MrOverkill explained. However it's done it's only a surface hardening, not a complete hardening of the metal as when steel is heat treated. So, eventually, it will wear through.

The importance of hardening is open to debate. Untreated ti lockbars last a long time. Long enough so that most owners will replace the knife for some other reason, lose interest in it, or die, before they wear one out. Treated ones will last somewhat longer, and those with steel inserts longer yet, but for 99% of users a RIL with an untreated lockbar is "good enough" as long as the "ti" is a high grade alloy and the lockbar tip and blade tang contact surfaces are properly shaped and mated. The funniest part of this is that those most interested in super-longevity seem to be the same folks who are always rushing to move to the next "latest and greatest" knife rather than those who will die grey-haired and wrinkled with the same knife in their pocket they were carrying when they lost their virginity.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Well said Deacon!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

v8r wrote:I hope so! I got a TI Millie last weekend and a Ppt a few months ago.
Ppt is a steel framelock ;)
v8r

Post by v8r »

razorsharp wrote:Ppt is a steel framelock ;)
You sure about that.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p